S

scikaiju

Morgan's head whipped around, he was confused but still ready to fight. Then he focused on Reks who stood stock still. In the angry haze in his mind something seemed to have clicked as his eyes was locked on the Priest and nothing else as a low growl came from him. It soon turned to a scream as Morgan charged at him causing to Reks snap out of whatever he was in and run for his life. “Morgan no!.” Looking around Carter located his staff and ran for, scooping it up on the go then tried to catch up with Morgan and Reks, before his friend ripped the Makai Priests to shreds. Fortunately Reks stopped running in a straight line, instead he started zig zagging. Morgan was just a step behind him but with each lunge he was getting closer despite the tactic. But then Morgan launched himself and Reks cut quickly to the right. Morgan crashed and tumbled, shaking his head a bit as he righted himself and relocated his target. Carter ran past the fleeing Priest and right at the charging Beast before him. Once again he jumped off one of the massive arms, Twisted in the air and landed on top of his shoulder. Knowing he didn't have time to get his balance Carter got the staff under Morgan's chin, gripping both ends of it he pulled back with everything he had.

The Beast bucked with the sudden pressure but Carter held firm. “Calm down Morgan,” he grunted through his teeth as his friend fought him. He only let go when he felt the beast start to fall to the side. Carter jumped off as Morgan tumbled on the ground and focused his attention on him now. Carter didn't back away or run, he had to get his friend out of that armor. “Morgan listen to me!” The Beast swiped at him with a speed he wasn't expecting knocking him tot the ground. Dazed he still tried to get back up. Then he felt a giant claw like hind wrap around him his waist and squeezed as he picked him up. Struggling to breath as Morgan brought him closer to his face Carter separated the staff and drove both points between the armor plating on the giant hand. His head reared back as he howled from the pain and the pressure stopped. Carter, hanging on to both swords as the Beast thrashed around finally freed himself. Removing both sword he connected them into the double bladed staff before jumping off with a back flip. Before he land he spun the staff, as soon as he hit the ground the Rook armor covered him and he ran toward the Beast.

Now almost on equal footing he engaged his friend. But he had started with a small disadvantage. Summoning the armor earlier against the pack of Horrors had used up a bit of that mystical timer. It hadn't reset yet so had to accomplish this in less time than he would have normally have. His eyes locked onto on the Beast's underside. Something that wasn't there when the armor had it's normal appearance when Morgan summonsed it.“Xypher that jewel on his waist.”

“That's the weak spot,' the pin confirmed. Now with a target in sight Rook came at his friend more aggressively than he had before. Morgan sensing the new challenge responded in kind as he tried to get a hold of or claw and rip him to pieces. Getting knocked to the ground Rook used the momentum of the blow to to roll back to his feet and went at his friend once more. “Carter you're running out of time!”, Xypher told him, but he was already aware of it. Getting close he swung his blade up, catching Morgan under the chin. With his head up Rook was able to get underneath him. Morgan sensing his prey was right where wanted him rose up enough to Bring his hands down for a crushing blow. Not fully realizing that move gave his prey the opening he needed. With a yell he jammed one of the point of the double blade into the jewel. With more force and the weight of the Beast coming down he was able to get in in further. There was a breaking sound as the jewel cracked.

The Rook armor flew off of Carter as he removed the point from what was left of the jewel. The beast seemed to shrink a bit as a giant portal appeared above him as segments quickly removed themselves and flew up into it revealing Morgan. He collapsed on the ground before Carter could catch him. Turning him over he was stunned by how pale he was now, and how cold to the touch, breath frighteningly shallow. “Morgan?,” he shook him. :Morgan.” His eyes open, almost appearing lost before they seemed to focus on him. He tried to speak. “Save your strength,” Carter told him. “Just hang on.” He needed help for his friend but in trying to to panic he was also currently lost at the moment on how to summon it.

Still Morgan struggled to get out, “Lyn..., Lyn...” Then his head dropped and hung in a way that didn't seem right.

“Morgan?”, part of Carter's mind was refusing to believe what he was seeing. “Morgan,” he shook him again. “Morgan!”

“He said he had him for a day,” Xypher told him when the reality of the situation finally set in. “He was locked in there too long. I'm sorry Carter.”

Sadness wanted to over take him but he held it at bay. Instead he concentrated on what Morgan was trying to say. “Lyn? Lyn. Lyn.” His features slackened as it occurred to him, “Lyndsy. No.” Leaving the body he ran with all he had left. “Where's the closest opening to the temple?!”

“A half a mile to your left.” He immediately changed directions as Xypher went, “You don't think Reks...” Xypher couldn't finish the thought. Getting close Carter slowed down long enough for Xypher to open it to reveal the Makai Path that lead to the Temple of Rook. Going full speed the other side opened as he raced out of there. Not breaking stride as he took a hard left at the intersection that led to Morgan and Lyndsy's home. He came close to the spot where he met their youngest and stopped. Their home wasn't that far off he should have seen some sort of light from here. Continuing on he found it and came to a dead stop, the area looked like it had been attacked, scorched marks everywhere and broken windows and pieces of equipment.

Carter looked around until he found a form lying on the ground. “Lyndsy!” he called out ran over, but stopped short. She was already dead. But what about the...? “Nathaniel!”, Carter called out as he continued searching the property. “Leonard! It's me Carter! You can come out!” Going behind the house he stopped as he knees nearly gave out on him.

“Oh no,” Xypher muttered. Carter walked up to the two prone forms, the larger one looking like he was trying to shield the little one. He checked both for any signs of life and lowered his head.

Picking it back up angry eyes looked down the path he just came from. “Reks,” he growled as he stood. Without another look he marched, a fierce determination in his step, back down the path that would lead back to the city.

ED – Shaman's Harvest – Broken Dreams

S

scikaiju

A/N sorry for the delay in posting this. I had some health issues that kept me away. But I'm past it now and finally finished this story. So to anyone still reading this I hope the ending was worth the wait.

Alao the characater limit is still in place so it's going to take a bit to get it all posted... yah.

S

scikaiju

Rook: Knight of the Double Blade

OP – CFO$ - Catch Your Breath

There was no way this could have happened. Not like she heard it, it just wasn't possible. As much as an ass Reks had been lately even he wouldn't have stooped to something this low. Jules had to believe that as she hurried down the wooded path. Because she didn't know what she would do if it was true. She'd known Reks since they were children learning under Vincent, the man behind here trying to keep up. No, there had to have been a mistake made some where, something misspoken, misheard. There had to be something nobody wasn't seeing. Maybe Carter.... no. Even with the issues the two of them had Jules was sure he wouldn't accuse him of this if he wasn't sure.

Having never been up this way before, figuring if Carter wanted her up here he would have invited her. Of course, that was before they decided to become something more official, partnership wise. Still knowing he had a friend up here didn't mean she knew where he lived, and honestly she thought they see him on this path when they received the message. But Vincent was close to the previous holder of the Rook title and had been up this way a couple of times. Upon seeing a path leading to another direction she slowed down just long enough to look back at him. As soon as he acknowledge it was the right one she ran at full speed down it. Avoiding the lower hanging branches She soon found the place. And Carter sitting one one of two rock, facing away from the house, head lowered and hands clasped behind his neck.

She almost called out to him, then she spotted something else that made her stop in her tracks. Close by, near the house was another body lying on the ground, a sheet covering this person.... dear God... part of the story was at least true.

“Carter!”, Jules finally called out as she was able to move her body again, He barely acknowledged her when she did so. “Carter...,” she began when she got close enough, then faltered. What could she possibly say to him? After he caught up she looked back at Vincent, who seemed equally as lost for words as he surveyed the area. “Carter I'm so sorry,” she was eventually able to say as she started to rub his shoulder gently. It sounded hollow, even to her but she felt she had to say something seeing him like this.

Jules felt a bit better about when Vincent walked up and put a hand on his other shoulder and said, “As am I Carter. Nobody should have to witness any thing like this,” he added with a sad hitch in his voice. Walking closer toward the house he looked things over. “They were caught by surprise, barely had a chance to react and put up a fight to defend themselves.” Jules looked around and try to see the scene as her former mentor was seeing things. It was still a random mess to her but she deferred to his greater experience in these matters. Still she had to know for certain and she made her way closer to the house. Almost to the corner leading to the back Vincent called out.,”Jules! Wait!” While she looked back at the mention of her name she kept going. Once past the corner Jules caught sight of another sheet on the ground, Looking at it fully she realized it was covering another set of bodies.

The children.

Hand immediately going to her mouth she muttered “Oh my God,” and ran back toward the others. Carter was the first to reach her, putting his pain to the side momentarily to comfort her as Jules wrapped her arms around him.”Who could have done something like this?”

Vincent's only response was, “I wish I could tell you.”

Carter's reaction on the other hand was a more demanding, “Who else knew about this place?” When neither of them responded right away he repeated, “Who else knew about this place. It was just you and me Vincent. Who else knew they were here?”

“Carter,” Vincent said calmly, “I know you're still upset but lashing out at us isn't going to help anything or carch whoever did this.”

“He's right Carter,” Jules spoke up.”You want to yell at somebody go right ahead. But we are going to need a calmer head to figure this out.” He didn't say anything in response but he still looked angry, which was understandable given the situation. “And at least one other family knew they lived here. Now I'm not accusing The previous Rook or any of his daughters,” she quickly added when Carter sharply turned his gaze toward her.

“I'd certainly say they wouldn't,” Vincent added with some certainty. “Granted he only tolerated the fact Morgan and his family was this close to the tower. But if he wanted them gone he would have went to the Watchdogs or to Morgan directly. No this wouldn't have been an option, especially after you earned the armor.

“But maybe somebody they knew,” she offered.” Xypher, do you know of....” she trailed off when she looked at the left side of Carter's coat and saw the usual space the gothic looking Madou pin occupied was now bare. “Where's Xypher?”

He looked in a general direction deeper into the forest before sitting back down on the rock and wouldn't look at them. Finally he said, “He refused to open the path back to the city.”

“Oh Carter,” Jules said as it dawned on her exactly what he did. She went to look for the pin when Vincent stopped her.

“Stay with him,” he told her, “I'll go look for Xypher.” Pulling out a disc and his brush he activated the magical radar before going in the direction Carter indicated. Both Priests hoped this wasn't going to be a long search. Again she didn't know what to say so she sat on the rock next to his and waited to see if he was going to say anything.

Finally he did, “Their oldest, Nathiel, hated the fact his family line didn't have a title. I understood where he was coming from because I felt the same when I was his age. I triede to help him understand that it didn't matter if his father had a title or not, we were still Makai Knights. Even if that title wasn't my birthright to begin with. Their youngest though I was a Horror when Xypher said something after he confronted us on the path here.” Jules had to smile a bit after he shared that memory with her. It also made her hate whomever did this even more, shortening the lives of those boys like that. This entire family deserved better than this fate.

Before long Vincent returned looking into his open hand. It wasn't long before a familiar tinny voice could be heard. “Then when we got back here he tore me off and flung me into the woods.” Vincent grunted and nodded in understanding as the Pin kept talking. “A squirrel almost took me before I scared it off. A squirrel! Do you have any idea how humiliating that would have been?”

“Oh I'm sure it would have been,” Vincent told the pin as he held it out to Carter. The Knight and pin stared at each other.

Xypher finally broke the silence, “Are you doing better now?”

Glancing back toward the scene behind him he told Xypher, “Not really.”

“I figured as much,”the pin said. “Your emotional state is the only reason why I'm not calling this a breach of our contract.”

“Xypher,” Jules quickly snapped at the pin. Now was not the time for this.

“He's right,” Carter spoke up, voice sounding hollow.

“I don't mean to sound so uncaring,” the pin went on. “but this exactly why I didn't open the path. One of us had to be level headed enough to realize this is exactly the state Reks wanted you in. Think about it Carter, no matter what they did to him Morgan could have sent away his armor before it started to currupt him. The fact he was in the Lost Soul Beast state meant he wasn't thinking clearly when it happened. Like you were when we found them. And I didn't want him to do it to you too.”

Dropping his head Carter went,“I realize that now. I'm sorry Xypher.”

“Like I said,” the pin went as Carter relucantly reached out for him, “emotional state.” Once returned to his proper place he blinked a few times before saying, “That's better.”

“So,” Jules felt her voice start to crack, “Reks did do this?”

“He was controlling Morgan and said he was doing so for at least a day and he attacked Carter right before that,” the pin answered. “I'm sorry Jules but he was involved in this act.”

She walked away muttering, “I still can't believe it.”

“Give her time to comprehend this,” Vincent told the younger man. “But we need to figure out our next plan of action.”

“We have to tell the Watchdogs,” Carter told him. “We finally know somebody who's behind this now. And we are going to need help finding him.”

Rejoining them Jules added,” He's right Vincent. Reks knows Carter's going to be after him now and that we'll likely be helping to track him down. And he'll be smart enough to stay away from any of the huants we know about. And it's been said a lot recently but this is a big city.”

“Of course,” Vincent said, “both of you are right. It's just...”

I know Vincent,” Jules said. “Believe me I know.” They gave Carter a few more moments as he went to each body and paid them one last moment of silent respect before all three of them went down the path back.

S

scikaiju

After reporting what he knew to the Watchdogs Carter and the others stood silently as they looked at each other doing whatever they did when they did this. Right now neither He or Jules cared, both of them wished they change that dammed bore expression they usually wore to something more appropriate for the situation, Sorrow that Morgan and his family was dead or outraged that one of there own did this, anything. Eventually the female spoke up, “So Makai Preist Reks was involved in this heinous act,”

Vincent spole up for the three of them, “We know he was involved. The exacy extent of his culpability in this crime is currently unknown.”

“As his teacher,” the female began,” we are aware that you wish to not think the worst of the situation.” If Vincent was ruffled by this Carter and Jules didn't see it. “However even by your own admission he was part of this attack.”

The male spoke up again, “While we can not read yor minds your thoughts are very clear on your young faces. You think us uncaring of the situation, and nothing could be further from the truth. Both Illumnia and myself are horrified and disgusted that this has happened. But we will express or sorrow in our own way and privately.”

“Of course watchdogs,” Carter stepped forward a bit and said,” We meant no disrespect, but I was close to this family. Their loss stings.”

“Very well spoken”, the female replied, “Almost beyond your years. As Nisoka said we are not uncaring but certain details must still be attended to. Namely Makai Priest Reks and his turn to darkness.” Jules stiffened up at these words but she couldn't deny the truth behind them. “Rook your mission is to do whatever is necessary to bring him to justice.”

Jules stiffened a little more but didn't say anything as Carter looked up at them, “I understand.” She understood too, they basically just signed Reks' death warrant. Carter glanced over at her and Vincent before returning his gaze to the Watchdogs. Without another word he stepped forward and put his swords into the wolf statue in front of him to purify them. After that was done the three of them took their leave.

Exiting through the secret door that lead to an alley it closed behind them. Jules kept on walking as Carter and Vincent stopped for a moment. Vincent was going to let her go, figuring she need some time to come to grip with everything that happened. Carter, on the other hand, “Jules wait.” She did stop but she didn't turn to look at him. Walking toward her he continued, “I'm going to try to bring Reks in alive,” Hearing that she turned her head to look at him. “Because I want answers, I want to know why. as bad as you do. But if he fights back I will defend myself.”

“I know you will,” she eventually said. “And if he puts you in that situation I wouldn't want you to hold back. And Xypher's right he would do to you what he did to Morgan, and I don't want to see that happen either.” Finally she turned around and joined them. “So where do we start? I don't think I have to repeat that Reks knows you're looking for him.”

“Although they didn't say to, “Vincent said,” I think we should get some others to help look for him. And to cover ourselves I'm going to get their opinion of it first. He turned to face the brick wall behind him, “You two go get started on getting those extra eyes for this.”

“We will,”Jules told him as the wall turned inward revealing the hidden door they waited until he walked through and it closed before going toward the street, looking at him she asked “So where to we start? We're still not sure who all in this with Reks.”

“The way he said things implied there was more thn him,” he answered, “So outside of some other Knights I'm not sure who.” Then he got a look in on his face as he reached into a pocket. He pulled out a small silver sphere and looked it over.

“You're calling on K-byte?”, she asked, the hacker they met recently that was recruited into the order after he found out about it.

“Getting one guy with a lot of eyes on the city would be a lot faster then getting a lot of people,” Xypher spoke up. “This did work when you tried it last night?”

Jules nodded, “Perfectly.” She motioned for him to rub it when he just kept l staring at it.

Still looking bit unsure Carter rubbed the sphere with his thumb and said,”K-byte.”

The sphere twinkled briefly before a voice came from it, “Carter? Gotta admit man, I'm a little surprised you actually used this to call me. I'm guessing you got another spot for me to add to the catalog.”

“Not exactly,” Carter answered. “I need your help looking for somebody.”

S

scikaiju

There was nothing as hard as walking around trying not to be noticed Terrance thought while doing just that. As part of the Makai Order it was something they had to do on a regular basis. Fortunately the regular humans around then didn't pay them any extra attention as they walked around in broad daylight. The order learned long ago that they had a tendency to over look things they couldn't exactly understand or think it was something else entirely. Such as an outrageous bit of fashion sense. That was a good thing considering how he and some of the other Makai Priests dressed.

But when he happened across someone else in the order that was a different story as he was trying not to act guilty. And not look like he was trying act like nothing was wrong too. Granted he didn't know every Priest or Knight in the city. But after what happened acting like he was oblivious to anything wrong was nerve wracking to say the least.

Suddenly realizing he gotten into the habit of looking around before entering his destination while he was going it he felt even more noticeable out on the open street. Hurrying on inside he quickly turned and faced the door to make sure nobody was following.

“You're just drawing attention to yourself now.”

Terrance yelped and nearly jumped out of his skin at the sudden voice. Pointing his brush at the voice it took him a moment to realize it was Reks and calm down. “Don't do that!”

“Anything?”, he asked as headed for the secret opening in the wall.

“I went to the usual spots,” he answered. “So far nobody is even talking about you or the family that we killed.”

“We didn't kill them,” he said while walking down the hidden stairs.

Terrance was right behind him, “Maybe but we were there. Our hands aren't exactly spotless here.” Reks gave no indication that he agreed, he just kept on walking. It was infuriating enough that Terrance finally had enough to grab him by the shoulder and forcibly make the other man face him. “That family is dead! That wasn't suppose to be part of the plan.”

Reks slapped his hand away, “You don't think I'm aware of that?!” And Terrance saw enough of his hand as it went by as it went by to realize he was wearing that saw device he developed/ Backing up a bit he tightened his grip on his brush, just in case. Still he tried to relax a bit as he saw Reks take a few deep breaths to calm himself. Either way he stayed on guard. “We don't know the whole plan.” he tried to say calmly, no matter how forced it looked. “But sacrifices have to be made in order to reach the end goal.”

“Is that what he told you?”, Terrance demanded. “Or is that what you told yourself in order to sleep last night.” Reks anger visibly raised up again. Enough so that he was positive Reks would have hit him. And he probably wanted to. He didn't though, he just walked away. And Terrance made sure he didn't go near the hidden room that led to their “pet” Horror.

Instead Reks went to the opposite side of the room. “We have to trust in the plan,” he eventually said, “We both knew this wouldn't be bloodless. I didn't think the children had to die either.” For the first time in a while Terrance thought he was at least acting like the man he had first met and became friends with. That feeling didn't last long, “But they would have been witnesses. No matter how distasteful we find it, sacrifices have to be made.“

Pacing the room he looked worried about something. Actually it was a little unsettling to see how much he unattached himself emotionally, for the most part, from that sickening situation. “The idea that apparently nobody seems to know that Knight and his family are dead is what's concerning me at the moment. Even if thr Watchdogs ordered Greystone to not talk about the specifics we are not above idle gossip. The others would be wondering why he was looking for me.”

“Maybe Greystone didn't report it.” hr offered. “It's even possible he was killed last night.”

Reks seemed to think it over for a moment. “No, even if that other Knight was lost in a berserker's rage Greystone wouldn't have died so easily. Even if he did somebody would have seen that Knight rampaging across town and investigated. No Greystone's alive. And he would have reported it. Told some one, like... Jules.”

Even if he didn't realize it Terrance heard the slight hitch in his voice as he said her name. He was still sure he could get her to love him, even after she rebuke him the other night. “It's a possibility, but something you had to have realized would happen if he survived.”

“I'm aware,” he said darkly. “It doesn't matter though. I knew she be on the side to stop us once our goal became known. She doesn't matter in the over all plan.” Although Terrance didn't say anything it was obvious to anybody watching that he didn't believe it.

S

scikaiju

Jules and Xypher were both unusually quiet as they headed toward their destination. Still she was keeping up with his faster than usual pace as they headed toward the knick knack shop that K-Byte owned. Once they were across the street he stopped, “I know this is hard on you,” he said after a moment, “On both you and Vincent. I just wanted you to know I'm glad you're by my side and that I meant what I said about trying to bring Reks alive,”

“I know you did,” she said after a bit.”I”m pretty sure you're not the revenge type of person, otherwise I wouldn't be here. I'd be out there trying to bring him in before you found him.Besides,” she added with a slight grin, “somebody other than Xypher has to watch your back.”

“And I'm happy about that,” the pin spoke up..”I can't even see back there to begin with.” Xypher waited a couple of beats as they crossed the street, “I half way expected to get flicked there.”

“I wouldn't push your luck,” Jules commented as they reached the building. He entered first and found K-Byte leaning against the counter talking with his niece,

“Carter,” greeted them,” Jules.” To her it looked like his eyes shifted down to Xypher before nodding his head slightly. He might not be part of their order, but at least he knew to not point out the talking jewelry. Or at least he was smart enough to figure doing so might make him look a little nuts. “I'm going to talk with these two in my other office,” he said suddenly. “Buzz me if you need anything,” Carter and Jules both exchanged glances as the niece gave him a thumbs up before returning to the magazine behind the counter. Motioning them to follow him they headed for the hidden room in the back.

Once they entered and the door was closed Jules finally felt comfortable to say, “I thought your niece wasn't part of the entire operation,”

“She's not,” he replied as he started down the hallway that lead to the special computer set up a Makai Priest had set up for him. “She is however smart enough to realize something is going on back here since my office is on the floor above and those stairs are near the front door. And even she had to wonder why I was spending most of the day in the restroom. I told her I had a side job going and while it wasn't exactly illegal the less she knew about it the better. It was pretty muched dropped after that. I respect her privacy and she respects mine, it's why we work so well together.” then he stopped and quickly turned around to hug Carter. “I'm so sorry about your frirnd man.”

While Jules could imagine the look on Carter's face, just by how stiff he was standing, Xypher's voice was muffled as he said something. It sounded something like, “If I could breath air I'd be smothering right a about now.”

Carter still didn't relax as the other man finally let go. Oblivious to the discomfort he just caused he went on, “Remember when I said this little online group I'm in was started by the woman in Japan who's family took care of the fallen untitled Knights? There one close to here too, just outside the city. I already messenged him. He'll take care of the family for you. Don't worry about it.”

“Thank you,” Carter managed to say before continuing on toward the room.

“Stoic,” K-Byte said as he followed, “Isn't he?”

“Knights generally are,”Jules answered.

Once in the computer room K-Byte took his usual spot in front of the enhanced computer and started typing away, “So one of you guys did this huh? I'm surprised but I guess there's some bad apples in every group.”

“How is this going to work?”, Carter asked. “The person we're looking for is named Reks...”

“Times like this I wished it was that simple,” K-Byte said. “Unfortunately your bosses made it very clear to Alex that they didn't want any names being stored in my system here. And I doubt the name Reks is like Smith in your guy's world so he should have been pretty easy to find.”

Carter looked confused, “But you have images of us on here.”

“True,” he conceded, “but that's it. Granted I have basic labels like Makai Knight, Makai Priest. The most specific thing I have is your title and I'm still afraid that's going to be found out. Best I can do is look for images for you two and hope he's been caught on film interacting with the two of you and go from there. So the big question is when was the last time did either of you seen him?” He quickly added, “Before last night. That was the first thing I checked and there were no cameras any where near that park. There was by this one entrance but that's because of the coffee shop that there and he didn't go in that way. Granted I'm just assuming a knight in his armor would have been noticeable.”

“It would have been,” Carter commented without going into any further detail. K-Byte may be helping but some things you didn't just share. The last time I saw him was the day I originally got this assignment. By the Watchdog's....,” he trailed off as K-byte slowly shook his head. Of course they wouldn't want any of the entrances known to an outsider. Although Carter got the feeling that if he wanted to K-Byte could probably narrow down the entrance locations general areas.

So he looked at Jules. “The night before last I ran into him,” she said. “He was with another Priest named Terrance. They were hunting a Horror.” Again looking at her Jules read the unasked question on his face. While K-Byte turned back to his computer and started typing away. “He had a new device he was testing out.”

“I didn't think he was that good to be actively hunting down Horrors,” Xypher commented as various video still appeared on the screen on the wall.

“He's not,” Jules answered as those images soon featured her on the streets. “He wants to be though but the combat arts were never his strong suit. Wait,” she called out when something caught her eye. “Can you go back a couple of images?” K-Byte was doing that before she was even finished speaking. “There, that was from a few days ago, that's the Terrance I was talking about.”

“I got a good lock on his face,” K-byte announced. “Now to add his image to the search and hopefully... I got something.” He quickly pulled it up on the screen,

“That's Reks,” she answered. “Or at least his back.” K-Byte was already at work goining through the various camera angles in that area.

“I think this one is the best I can do,” he announced before pulling up the new image. In it was Terrance and Reks running down the street. “I saw the guy they were running after, I'm just guessing he was that Horror you mentioned.”

“Now that you have his image can you track him?”, Carter asked.

“As in where's he's been? Yes easily,” he answered. “If you're asking in real time that one's a little tougher. Only because,” he quickly added when Carter looked at him sharply, “this isn't instantineous. I mean I'm hooked into every camera and connected server in the city. And it is really big, digitally speaking. As fast as my set up is there's still going to be a slight delay. A very, very small delay mind you but enough of one that I could lose sight of him before you even got there. Especially if you're on the other side of the city than he is. But as I said I can see where he's been. Figure out where some of his favorite spots to hangout are and give you those locations. Particularly since now I have a second face to add to the search.”

“It's better than nothing I suppose,” Jules said.

“I suppose,” Carter grunted, “Thank you for the help K-Byte.”

“No problem, just doing my bit to help.”

“Why are you so talkative all of the sudden?”, Xypher asked. Then after a quick flick, “Ow. Still doesn't answer my question.”

“Are they always like that?”, K-Byte asked Jules who hung back a bit as Carter headed for the door.

“More or less,” she answered before saying good-bye and leaving herself.

S

scikaiju

“I really should have set up a meeting time and place with those two,” Vincent commented to himself as he wiped his mouth with the provided napkin.”I'm getting a little too old for all this walking around.” His server came up to him seeing that he was done and he quietly thanked her for the meal and paid for his usual soup. Streaching his back out a bit as he stood he chuckled a bit to himself, yes he was getting too old for this but he could still put up a fight if need be. He'd be feeling it the next day but he still could. All the life in him hasn't left him yet after all.

Although more and more he caught himself looking around more at the pieces of humanity around him. He had been preaching for years that they had to remind themselves that there was still good in the hearts of the ones the protect. Granted some days it was easier to remember that than others. So he learned to see it in simple things that most choose to ignore. Like the mother with nothing but love in her expression as her baby smiled at her. Then there were the moments that quickly reminded him that darkness would always inhabit humantiies heart. Nothing out right, but out of the corner of his eye down an alley he spotted the pair he was looking for. Jules and Carter were studying an old box fan. Going to join them he called out, “Found a gate I presume.”

Carter plunged one of his blades into it's shadow, “It was.” Pulling it out the three of them watch as a small dark orb float into the air. Almost as soon as he saw it Carter swung his blades through it to finish it off.

“Seriously,” Xypher spoke up, “nobody else hears that little scream when he does that?”

“You are more attuned to that than we are my little friend,” Vincent told the pin.

With some noticable apprehension Jules asked, “What did the Watchdogs have to say?”

“They agreed that the rest of the order in the area should be informed,” he told her. His heart broke a little at how sad she looked at the news. “But only for the death of Morgan and his family. They still want to keep his apparent plan to agitate the rifts between the Knights and Priests once again quiet for the moment.”

“Why?, Carter demanded. “They deserve to know why Morgan and his family died.”

“Normally I'd agree with you,” Vincent said to try and calm the younger man down. These deaths were still hitting him hard. “But this time I think it best to do what the Watchdogs say and err on the side of caution. You remember what it was like when Sigma first started. Knights were pointing fingers at Priests, often with no proof. If it went on any longer I'm afraid it would have become a whitch hunt and tear the order apart, Even between Knights as the ones would take up swords to defend their loved ones.”

“I didn't know it was that bad,” Jules commented. She didn't show it but Vincent could tell how much the idea was troubling her.

Times like this he was unsure if he should have kept as much as he did from her when it was happening. Finally he replied,”Not quite that bad, but it was heading there. I can't speak for the rest of the world but around this particular city some Knights just started assuming the worst about the Makai Priests and roughed them up a bit. They didn't even think that doing so may drive more Priests to rally behind Sigma's cause than if they did nothing.”

“That sounds horrible,” Jules told him.

All of the sudden Carter asked, “Is that what happened to Reks?” Vincent was the only one who looked surprised by the question. “Jules said he wasn't like this when they were training under you.”

He sighed a bit before responding, “If it did he didn't share it with me. Honestly this attitude took me by surprise as well. I don't recall him having these thoughts back then either.”

Carter looked over at Jules as a new resolve seem to come over him. “Then we have to find him first, before somebody else does then. Because we still need answers and the wrong Knight might not willing to get them out of him.”

It took Vincent a moment to remember a small conversation the two of them had when he was first assigned this mission. “The difference between justice and vengence, yes you are quite right.”

“We'll find him first,” Carter told Jules. “And we'll get those answers.” She nodded as she had a new look of determination as well. After a quick acknowledgement the two of the hurried off to do just that. Vincent couldn't help but smile, he knew those two were right for each other. His smile faltered a little, now if only this situation didn't entertain the possibility to tear them apart.

S

scikaiju

Reks paced the alley waiting for Terrance to show back up. He should have been inside hiding for who knew if Greystone would wonder by and spot him. And with that bastards luck that's exactly how it would happen too. But he was feeling too confined down there and needed some air and stretch his legs. He told himself it was to clear his head but in reality he wanted the chance to see that damned Knight coming and not be taken by surprise. Beside it was dark enough outside that he should be hidden enough to spot him before he was located. The only benefit he saw in the dark colors those in the order usually wore. Although at the moment he wished he had some sort of hood to cover his head, or at least a turbin like his old mentor. Something to blend in even more.

His pacing was interrupted by the sounds of running, coming straight at him. In the brief instant he heard it he thought the Knight had located him but he knew better. No matter how angry he was Greystone wouldn't just blindly charge at him like this and give away his location. No, this was somebody else. And the drawing of a sword was the only indication an attack was coming right at him. Barely dodging a swing from said weapon he set eyes on his attacker. Another Makai Knight from the looks of it. Taking up an offensive stance he said, “I Found you murderer. Prepare to pay for your crimes.”

And word must have finally gotten out about what happened to that Knight. It took Greystone long enough to do so. Still Reks looked around a best as he could in case this Knight wasn't alone, so far nobody that he could immediately see. Getting his brush out he parried another strike. But he left himself open to kick to the stomach that sent him back into the alley wall. Then he held very still as the Knight held his blade at his throat. Instead of finishing the job and cut him down the Knight just kept him there. “Just tell me one thing you bastard. Why, why did you do it?”

Interesting, this Knight knew of his crime but not the why. Given the few extra moments of life Reks realized this must have come from above Greystone. There was no way he wouldn't tell the details of his crime. Whatever his reaction was to this new bit of information it was enough to confuse the Knight. Enough for Reks to get his beush between them and blast him away. As his opponent lay on the ground Rek's other hand started rubbing his throat. The other man's blade didn't touch it, but it was just the idea that caused this particular reaction. “Why?”, Reks taunted him as he slowly sat up. “He was a Makai Knight. That's reason enough.” The renewed confusion in his face was enough to convince Reks that his hunch was right.

A confusion that quickly turned to rage, “You monster!” Another blast kept the Knight down. He gasped in pain as Reks kept his brush pointed at him.Again Reks was caught off guard as the Knight kicked his foot out and forced him back. Giving him enough room to get back on his feet and back ready to attack. Although Reks was ready for it the attack never came. The Knight was suddenly bound by a magical spell. A quick look at the ground showed him a couple of silver trinkets, the source of the spell and a clue to the Priest who cast it identity.

“Normally I'd complain,” he began,” about you talkng you sweet timre But for once Terrance I'm glad you arrived when you did.”

“You're lucky I arrived at all,” he shot back. Apparently in no mode for any sort of remark from the look of things. “Obviously you know word finally got out.” Both of them looked at the Knioght as he struggled to get free. “So what do we do now? Erase his memory?”

“Any other situation and I might say yes,” He said after a moment. “But the spell has been known to fail, especially if they come across something with a strong emotional connection. Or so I've been told. No we're going to have to do something else with this one.”

Terrance seemed to get a little nervous when he glanced at the device on his wrist,” What exactyl?”

“Nothing like what you're imaging.” Then he smiled in a way that made the other man even more nervous, “At least not yet.”

“Here?', he practically squeaked.

“No, not here,” Reks said sounding annoyed. Then he reached into his jacket and pulled out a slip of red paper with various magical markings. Bringing his brucsh to it he activated the spell and slapped it on the Knights head, He struggled for a bit before slightly glazed eyes that stared stright ahead that showed that the spell had won in the end. “Hmm,” Reks grunted. “He didn't fight as long as the other Knight. Must not as been as outrage as the other one. Keep that in mind for the future.”

He nodded at Terrance to end the spell, but he couldn't move. Controlling them was one thing but... “Are you sure we to do this?”

“Would you rather I let him go?”, he taunted. “Having him know my last known location is just the same as killing him here, The order would search this area looking for clues to where I went and they may discover our little secret in the process.” Terrance still looked unconvinced, “Let's not forget this one knows you're involved now and you would have to go into hiding. Either way you had to realize this was going to be necessary in order to get rid of the Knights. They didn't exactly bow down to Sigma's demands the last time.”

“I know,I know,” he said. “I was hoping the plan would have taken care of them with as little bloodshed as possible,”

“Maybe it will,” Reks commented as he made the Knight rise to his feet. “But the plan hasn't been activated yet. And there's the small matter of me being the center of a city wide search. We has to be adaptable at this stage, you know he said that.”

“Yes he did,” Terrance said, sounding a bit defeated.”

“Don't worry it'll be over soon.” His Madou Brush pulsed as the Knight started moving. “Keep an eye out in case somebody else shows up.” He made the Knight lead the way as Terrance took up the rear, still not liking this. After a bit they found themselves at an side way into the subway system below the city. Motioning for Terrance to open the door the trio made their way down.

Reks made them follow a path that took them block away from where they were. Up until they hit a four way intersection then he made Terrance stay where he was as he made the Knightgo a few feet down one of the corridors then said, “Drop your sword there.” It hit with a loud clang as the Knight did so. Then he rejoined them as Reks lead them down a different corridor. After another block they reached the underground tracks. “Now let's see how much will he actually has,”Reks said after a few moments. The reason for the wait was soon evident as a rumbling could be heard in the background, and it was getting closer. With little effort he made the Knight lay down on the ground with his neck resting on the track in front of him. He backed up still with his brush pointed at the Knight. Terrance froze for a second as he realized he made the other man face the oncoming train.

Any cry was of pain or outrage was cut off by the rumbling of the train as it past by. Did the person at the controls even realize there was a person there? It didn't even seem to try and slow down. While his companion was mortified Reks just smirked, “They do want to face death head on.”

“You sick bastard,” Terrance finally got out.

“Maybe,” he said before turning away and going back the way they came. “But this way it should be a day or two before somebody notices the body since the operator shouldn't have realize he hit something and report it. And that will give us a small cushion, at least until somebody realizes that Knight is missing. The only down side they're probably aware he was hunting me down and won't just assume he was killed by a Horror.”

“How can you be be so nonchalant about this? You just killed a man!”

“Because this is war,”, he answered coolly “Even if the others think it ended in Japan two years ago, it's still a war. And you win by getting ride of the opposition.” Reks kept on walking,”By any means necessary if need be.”

S

scikaiju

Consciuosness returning after getting some sleep Jules refused to open her eyes, not just yet. Instead she reached over to the other side of the bed, she opened them here when she realized the person she was expecting to find wasn't there. In fact that side was cold, for a bit from the feel of it. Sitting up she tried to get out of the fog of sleep that still wanted her to stay still and looked around the bedroom. Still alone as far as she could tell. Stretching she listened for sounds of anyone else close by, she commented to herself, “And I thought I was good at leaving the place without being noticed,” when she still couldn't detect any other signs of life.

Getting up and dressed she went looking for Carter. Heading down the stairs. Seeing her coat where she left it she was admittedly a bit confused to see Carter's coat right by hers. So he didn't leave suddenly. Waking up a little more she realized he must have been doing his exercises. Or quite possibly in the den, considering the door was open. They definitely needed to learn the others morning routines if this was going to keep up. A quick peek in the doorway showed Carter wasn't in there but Xypher was on his stand, although he was facing one of the windows instead of the door like he usually did. “Morning Xypher,” she greeted the pin as she entered the room.

“Morning Jules,” he responded. “He didn't leave a message in case you were wondering.” Obviously a shot at her not quite so old habit when she usually spent the night here. Fourtunately for the pin she wasn't quite the flicker Carter was in these situation. Instead she walked over to the window he was facing.

Seeing Carter out there on the lawn doing his usual practicing outside she smiled a bit, “In a way he did.” Watching the Makai Knight for a bit she realized it wasn't his usual practice as he did some imaginary blocks with his blades she'd never seen before or was familiar with. “What is he doing exactly?”

“He's trying to figure out the best way to defend against that saw weapon you told him about.” She nodded in understanding. She should have told him about it as soon as she found out Reks was involved in this mess. But the news came so fast it was hard to think straight about the man she'd known for years. And Morgan and his family showed no sign of it being used on them so part of her was hoping he finally listen and gave up on it. Another part realized it was just wishful thinking on her part and more than likely he was still trying to improve it. Either way Carter, not to mention anyone in the Order hunting Reks, had to know about it.

“I'm going to head out there,” she told the pin. “You wanna come?”

“No,” Xypher answered. “I had enough of the outdoors and it's inhabitants the other day for the time being.”

“Suit yourself,” she said as him as she headed for the front door. Taking in a deep breath of the morning air, which she swore didn't have the scent the city usually did, she went down the stairs and headed around the corner to where he was. Hanging back a bit she watched him defend against and attack the opponent in his mind, although she was certain she knew who that opponent was. Although Jules was certain Carter was already aware of her presence, which was confirmed when he pause just long enough to acknowledge her with a nod, that was the most she wanted to disturb him at the moment. Not that that he was so in his own head that she might get hit accidentally. However with what they did he couldn't afford to have an off day. Neither could she for that matter. In their profession not being at their peak could be fatal. So Jules waited until he was finished before getting closer as indicated by him combining the blades back together to form the staff. “”Beautiful out this morning, isn't it?”, she asked.

“It is,” he answered while taking in the view for himself. Morning small talk, another thing both of them were going to have to get used to. Still Carter tried, “Sleep well? I usually don't get the chance to ask.”

A small smile started to cross her lips, “Either me or Xypher is finally starting to rub off on you. I'm just not sure who it is at the moment,” considering that was the second shot this morning at how she used to do things she was leaning toward the pin. “But I slept like a baby.” Which was strangely true considering what was going on. “How about you?”

“Fine. Honestly I never thought it would be with somebody sleeping next to me.” Jules sort of glanced at him as they headed back toward the house. He was just full of surprises lately. And lucky for the Pin who was still in the house because Jules could only imagin what would have came out of his mouth after hearing that.

“I would say that it must mean it was meant to be but I don't want to push our luck.” Instead of the front door he lead her to a side patio, From the look of things he expected her to join him this morning as a small table was already set up.for a quick breakfast. She was happy for the moment before she realized the muffins on the table was one of her favorites. And considering this was the first time she'd ever seen them here at all caused a question to burn itself in her mind. Granted it was one she had before but never asked it out of respect for his privacy. But if she was going to be be here more often she just had to know, “Okay, who exactly is helping you keep this place up? This house is better kept and stocked than it should be considering what we do.And no offence, I never took you for the homemaker type.” She noticed the look on his face and stopped talking. Carter was looking at something behind her, with some intent that wasn't there before, and that made her turn and look as well. A lone man was walking up the path toward the house, based on how he was dressed it was clear he was part of the order. He had to be, the path entrance wasn't exactly open to regular. uninvited humans.

Carter stood as the guy got closer. The way his hand was hovering by the staff said he wasn't expecting anybody this morning. “I'm guessing that's not him.”

“No it isn't,” he said as he walked forward to meet the stranger. “Can I help you?”

“Pardon the interruption Double Bladed Knight,” he said in return. “But I came with some news you may want to hear.” he stopped and looked over Carter's shoulder at her. “Has she been here all night?”

Jules wasn't sure about Carter but that rankled her a bit. “I'm only asking because a Knight went missing and she is one of Reks' known associates.”

“Who disappeared?”

“I'm not sure you know him, I barely did,” he answered. “When we were given the assignment last night we all agreed to to meet up later and compare notes of our serarch. He was the only one who didn't show up. A few that did know him asked around and he hasn't been seen since we were summoned to the Watchdogs. Naturally people are assuming...”, he trailed off, but he didn't have to finish that thought. More than likely both of them were thinking the same thing.

Still this newcomer kept looking at her. Finally having enough of it she snapped, “Yes I was him all night.” This particular Knight pissed her off even more when he looked over to Carter for confirmation of this. Now she didn't her exactly how Carter responded but she saw enough of his face that he was annoyed by it as well.

This particular Knight at least had the brains to realize when to back off, “I meant no disrespect, really. But we were told to scrutinize everything. I was just doing what I was told.”

Carter sharply asked, “Was there anything else?”

“No, just that.” Carter turned his back to him and walked away. Jules just waved a quick good-bye before the Knight finally left by himself. Catching up with Carter she crossed her arms, “I wonder how he be acting with me if he knew what Reks was trying to do.” Carterv just grunted as they kept walking. “Was it as bad as that? When Sigma was starting up?”

“I'm afraid so. After my friend attacked me I knew it took a bit before I stopped wondering if a Makai Priest I ran across was going to do the same. Some Knights were worse, like Vincent said, We didn't even have the destruction seal placed on us like the Japanese Knights did.”

“You make it sound worse than how Vincent described it,” Jules commented. Obviously that statement confused him a bit because he looked over at her. “Okay, the Japanese Knights had that seal placed on them by Sigma. So naturally they want to do anything to get rid of it, but what was the excuse over here?”

“I honestly don't know,” he answered. “Sometimes I wish I did, other times I don't want to know the answer. Either way we have to hurry and locate Reks before anybody else does. After lasr night, if it's true.”

“Nobody is going to want to get answers out of him,” she finished the thought for him. “And everything he knows about what's going on goes with him,” Realizing they were heading back to the house she said,” it's a pity. I was hoping to spar a bit before we headed out.” Again he looked at her in confusion. “If we're going to be partners we should know how each other moves a little better.”

Carter surprised her again by smiling a little, “Consider it a trail run to see what we have to work on.”

“I swear that was almost a joke, “ she said, not really trying to stop herself from smiling herself. She was just glad for the distraction from what was going on.

S

scikaiju

Entering the door of the knick knack shop K-Byte's niece looked up from behind the counter. Seeing it was Carter and Jules she went back to her magazine. “He's waiting on you in the back,” she told them. Carter said nothing as he was heading that way as soon as he walked through the door. Jules gave her a small nod in greeting, not that she saw it with her head down and all, before going in the same direction.

“We should probably learn her name,” she commented as they reached the secret door. When Carter didn't respond as he hit the hidden trigger to open it she added, “I mean we've been here enough the past few days we should know it, just to be polite if nothing else.” Both of them entered the door. It closed behind them with her saying, “Just me then? Okay.”

“He's in one of his moods,”Xypher commented. “You're not going to get an answer,,, Ow.”

“Hey amigos,” K-Byte said with a wave as he sat in his usual chair. Not even bothering to turn around to do so. When he did he pointed right at Carter, “Since I'm prettry sure this one doesn't do social call I'm guessing this is business.”

“A Makai Knight went missing last night,” Carter told him. K-Byte had enough sense to quickly turn back around and get to work pulling up everything he had on their target so far. Carter went on, “We need to find Reks now.”

“And I would love to grant that wish,” the hacker told him. :”Unfortunately you comrade's being rather camera shy lately.” Putting up several images on the screen he added, “The most recent image I found was this one from the other day. Both of them were taken a bit a back from what they were seeing. Especially since their heads were at the bottom of the image.

Getting a sick feeling in her dut Jules asked, “When and where was this image taken?”

Turning back around he answered, “Almost right after you left here the first time. Right down the street here, by this one little cafe.” That was what she was afraid of.

“That's when we decided to officially become partners,” she whispered, “Is this what finally pushed him over the edge?”

“No,” Carter said firmly. “Reks was already went over that edge the moment he decided to restart were Sigma left off. This was going to happen sooner or later.” She knew Carter believed that but at the moment she had a hard time believing it totally. To K-Byte he asked, “Have you at least narrowed down where he might be hidding?”

“In the loosest definition of the term yes,”he typed in a few commands and put the projection of the map of the city over their heads again. “After tracking his image for the past couple of months and cross referencing it with where that Terrance guy has been in the same time period I got two possible locations.” He leaned back in his chair as all of them looked where the majority of the markers seemed to be concentrating. “If we knew who else was in this little party of theirs I could narrow it down to just the one location, probably. I mean you have to consider their secret meet up spot and hidey hole has to be in an out of the way location.”

“Which of those two fit that description?”, Carter asked him.

“Unfortuantely both of them do,” K-Byte answered. He put both locations on the screen. “Ones an old strip mall that hasn't been used in years. The other is a park that hardly anyone visit at night anymore. Well except for these two, and the occasional set of lovers looking to get a little outdoor nookie when they think nobody's watching,”

“I knew you were a pervert,” Xypher suddenly said. Carter quickly flicked him. “That's it! I instituting a no flicking policy on the next Makai knight I make a contract with.”

“I dnn't watch thank you very much,” K-Byte told him. “I got some decency after all.”

“When was the last time he visited either of these sites?”, Jules asked, trying to get things back on track.

He checked the records on his screen, “Reks visited the park last and Terrance the mall, both last week.”

“How close are they to each other?”, she went on,

He gestured to the image above them, “As you can see they're only a couple of blocks apart. So if they're not on opposite ends of the city if that's what you were worried about.”

Jules asked Carter, “What do you think? They may not be there now but we could hit both sites in one night to look for any clues easy enough.”

”We should split up and check both sites,” he answered after a bit. “It'll be faster that way and we need to find him fast, before the others do. If either of us spot him we can call the other to hurry over to that location.”

“And I can help from my end,” K-Byte told them. “As I said, there's a small delay but I can at least tell you if either of them are in the area.”

“Well I think that sounds like a plan,” Jules said. “And you better call me if you see him.”

“I will,” Carter assured her. “Thank you K-Byte.” The man gave a small salute as he turned back around while Carter turned and headed for the door, Jules close behind him.

“Could have sworn they were already a thing before then,” he said to himself after he was alone. “They seemed close enough when I met them the first time.”