Power Rangers vs Super Sentai(Mostly Samurai vs Shinkenger)

Seeing as how i was watching shinkenger when everyone was watching goseiger cause i like to wait until the series is over so i can form my own opinions i found Shinkenger to be somewhat overrated (don't shoot me! lol) and Samurai isn't gonna make me like Shinken better.

And yes by that statement i mean i'm still watching Goseiger but i also am trying to keep up with Gokaiger (since i am trying to keep up with the current sentai for the 1st time in 5 years)

and it's Jonathan Tzachor who's remaking Shinkenger shot-for-shot since he wants to stay true to the sentai so it's not all Saban's fault here.
 
Then why was it so horribly marketed? And believe it or not RPM had its problems. Not everyone likes it
It was horribly marketed because Disney didn't give a ****. Production team did, publishers... not so much. And if people don't like RPM they're wrong. :thumbs:
 
I'm think he is supposed to teach them "samurai skills" and what not; thats why they refer to him as teacher. But so far I haven't see him done anything that backup this. He is just there, and I haven't found his character particularly supportive or wise.

The character he is based on from Shinkengers was more like a butler. He also raised Takeru (the red ranger) like a son. Although interestingly he has his own family and even a granddaughter that he does not seem very often (I remember being mentioned on some chapter). On Shinkengers he is also a comedic relief, being the straight man to the rest of the group.

In Shinkenger, Jii's role makes sense because Takeru is a true lord, and therefore Jii not only serves as his advisor but also runs the day-to-day operations at the Shiba household, as well as supervising the kurokos. Mentor Jii, on the other hand, has a "mentor" title but does almost no mentoring to the rangers, and can be overruled by Jayden. He's just there so PR Samurai can be more "faithful" to Shinkenger, at least this is why I think they kept his character.
 
Last edited:
There's another part where Power Rangers Samurai fails. The Kuroko are extremely vital to the Shinkengers' operations. They set up the Shinkengers' staging grounds, they escort civilians to safety, they clean up after every battle, and they even help the town with everyday chores. As a matter of fact, one of them helped Ryunosuke recover the Kajiki Origami.

Which brings the question: where are the Kuroko in Power Rangers Samurai? Who is cleaning up after the Rangers? Who's preparing meals for them?
 
And if people don't like RPM they're wrong. :thumbs:

No, they are not. They simply don't like a show that YOU happened to like

I watched both versions of the bride-kidnapping episode, and needless to say, Saban screwed up on their adaptation. The problem here is that Ryunosuke's kabuki background was the single most important element of the episode.

Er ... was it? It was Mako's character episode, not his

PR took away that element and decided to make Kevin/Blue Samurai Ranger a former swimmer instead. As a result, the punch line of the episode was completely lost in the PR version.

Then they had to make Emily dress as a bride instead, thus reinforcing the PR version's message of "all girls want to be brides and wear big white dresses!" (No, I am not the only one who's spoken about this)

Which brings the question: where are the Kuroko in Power Rangers Samurai? Who is cleaning up after the Rangers? Who's preparing meals for them?

Maybe that's what Mentor Ji does
 
i think its ironic that RPM made a bad Sentai look so great while PRS is turning a great Sentai into something awful =P oh well, better luck for them next year.
 
i think its ironic that RPM made a bad Sentai look so great while PRS is turning a great Sentai into something awful =P oh well, better luck for them next year.

Are we still doing the whole "Hate Go-onger" bandwagon? I've only seen the first two episodes, and it's not that bad. I'm just not interested in continuing the series, though.

And good luck on Saban adapting Goseiger. I think the term "polishing a turd" comes to mind.
 
i think its ironic that RPM made a bad Sentai look so great while PRS is turning a great Sentai into something awful =P oh well, better luck for them next year.

I don't think it's really irony, I just think trying to copy the Sentai word for word usually ends up with the show being nothing but a poor imitation. I think PR has always done better when they've taken the core ideas, but done their own thing with it. RPM and Samurai are the the prime examples of this.

I'd hope with Goseiger they decide to shake things up, but considering how successful Samurai has been, I'm guessing they'll want to try and replicate that formula (although some things will obviously have to be changed again).
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top