I guess I better put my 2-cents in beeing a non practicing Roman Catholic here:
This movie can be enterpeted in 2 ways
A) Jesus did alot of stuff for our sins, and I mean ALOT. This is pretty much word by word what was said happend during his Crusificion in the Bible, so for anyone who respects the bible, it's a powerful and moving look as to what Jesus sacrfificed and what he had to endoure for our lives. This is what a person of fate would describe the movie.
B) a regular moviegoer who goes to see this movie will not get offended, more or less, come our like Stan and Kenny did, where they felt like it was a waist of time. In my Opinion, most people would fall into this category.
there is also the eterpitaiton of "jews Bad, cristians good" and "god, this F#%^king movie is overkill, this never happend" as well, but the A and B examples is how the majority enterpret it.
I think the first of the Later would be exclusive to Mel Gibson really
(damn it, I so wanted to be serious...)