Netflix’s Terminator Zero Anime Is Terminated

PopGeeks

Administrator
Another day, another cancelled Netflix original. They greenlight too much stuff and then wonder why nothing gets huge numbers. Terminator Zero had a cool concept with the AI protector angle, but anime fans probably stuck to stuff like Cyberpunk Edgerunners instead. Oh well.
 
I binged it last month and thought it was one of the better recent Terminator things. The 1997 Tokyo vibe worked, and Eiko's fights were animated really well. Sucks that Tomlin's bigger plans are gone, but at least we got something decent instead of another terrible movie. Hope the cast finds better projects soon.
 
This hurts because I was looking forward to more seasons. The future war stuff Tomlin teased sounded epic. One season feels like it only scratched the surface. The Prophet character was super intriguing too, Ann Dowd was great. Netflix really fumbled this one by not promoting it properly.
 
Watched the first episode and turned it off. Animation was nice but the plot felt like recycled Terminator ideas with a Japan filter. Not bad, just nothing special. No wonder views were low. They should stop trying to force new timelines and just let the original movies exist.
 
I was actually pretty into Terminator Zero from the start. The way they set it in 1997 Tokyo felt different enough to stand out from all the American reboots. Malcolm Lee trying to build KOKORO to stop Skynet instead of causing it was a smart twist, and his family being in danger made the stakes feel personal. Eiko coming back as the protector was cool too, especially with Sonoya Mizuno’s voice bringing that quiet intensity. Timothy Olyphant nailed the Terminator—cold, no emotion, just pure threat. I finished the whole season in a weekend and thought it ended in a satisfying place, even if it was only one season. Mattson Tomlin saying the reception was great but views were low is the classic Netflix problem. They don’t give shows time to build an audience anymore. If they had pushed it harder with trailers or put it on the homepage more, maybe it would’ve survived. Sucks that the future war plans are gone now.
 
Look, I gave it a fair shot. Watched four episodes before I stopped. The animation was really good, clean lines, nice lighting in the night scenes. But the story moved too slow for me. Malcolm’s visions and family arguments took up a lot of time, and the Terminator didn’t show up enough to keep the tension high. I get that they wanted to focus on characters, but Terminator is supposed to feel urgent. Rosario Dawson as KOKORO was the best part—her calm, almost kind voice made the AI feel less evil than Skynet. Still, if not enough people stuck around, I can see why Netflix cut it. They cancel anything that doesn’t hit huge numbers fast. The franchise has been struggling since T2 anyway. Every new attempt—movies, shows, whatever—just reminds me how hard it is to recapture that original magic. One season down, no more. Whatever.
 
This cancellation really stings because Terminator Zero was one of the few recent entries that didn’t feel like a cash grab. Setting it in Japan in ‘97 gave it a whole new atmosphere—neon lights, crowded streets, that mix of old tech and future dread. Malcolm Lee as the scientist dad protecting his kids while fighting visions was relatable. Eiko’s resistance backstory added depth, and The Prophet in the future scenes with Ann Dowd had this wise, almost spiritual vibe that I liked. The action scenes were solid too, especially the chases. Timothy Olyphant’s Terminator voice was chilling every time he spoke. Mattson Tomlin clearly cared about the story—he planned seasons 2 and 3 with a full future war. Netflix just didn’t promote it right. They bury good shows under piles of content. At least this one feels complete instead of another unfinished mess. I’ll probably rewatch it someday.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top