Kids as main focus in which Super Sentai series?

K

kamil88

I ve decided to start watching SS from beginning, unfortunately, im not fan of kids, they are usually bratty and annoying, and they were usally main focus in Denziman and Zyuranger, could you please tell me, what other series have kids as main focus in most episodes?

R

raden238

This is based on all the series that I've seen which was Battle Fever J, Sun Vulcan, Liveman, Jetman, Dairanger, Abaranger, Dekaranger and finally Go-onger through Kirameger. I did not watch Ryusoulger.

Sentais with Kid focus:
Dairanger
Abaranger
Kyuranger
Toqger

Would like to change his avatar
Let's try this again, since my reply vanished after this place went down yesterday. (That really sucks...)

Anyway, I said that early JAKQ, early Sunvulcan, Bioman, Changeman, Flashman, Maskman, Liveman, Turboranger, Jetman, Megaranger, GoGoFive and Timeranger are basically what you're looking for. They don't focus on kids too much; they'll have kid-oriented episodes thrown throughout, but nothing quite on the level of a Fiveman or Zyuranger. (Although, shows like Dynaman and Fiveman were teachers, and Zyuranger was a fairy tale sort of thing, so it makes some sense that these shows feature kids frequently.)

And what's funny is that a lot of modern shows don't have a lot of kid guest stars, but the content of the shows themselves is more juvenile than ever. And the cast members themselves are so young, they're practically kids, so I guess why bother with kid guests is the thinking there.

From what I've read, part of the original Kamen Rider's legacy is that it established toku heroes as being primarily the protectors of children within Japanese pop culture. So if the writers decide they need a victim for the heroes to save, it's more likely to be a child than an adult. This trickles over to Ultra series, Metal Heroes and most other franchises as well as Rider and Sentai.

I think a lot of more recent Sentai have been trying to make the characters (particularly Reds) more like what the producers imagine that the three year olds watching are like. A kind of idealized version of them in a taller, stronger body so that the audience identify with them more, can imagine being like them when they're older, and maybe as a consequence want to own more of the toys, will tune in again etc.

Having said all that, Kibaranger is probably the character that I most dislike in all of Sentai. Kou is such an annoying little sh**.

D

Dr Kain

Let's try this again, since my reply vanished after this place went down yesterday. (That really sucks...)

Anyway, I said that early JAKQ, early Sunvulcan, Bioman, Changeman, Flashman, Maskman, Liveman, Turboranger, Jetman, Megaranger, GoGoFive and Timeranger are basically what you're looking for. They don't focus on kids too much; they'll have kid-oriented episodes thrown throughout, but nothing quite on the level of a Fiveman or Zyuranger. (Although, shows like Dynaman and Fiveman were teachers, and Zyuranger was a fairy tale sort of thing, so it makes some sense that these shows feature kids frequently.)

And what's funny is that a lot of modern shows don't have a lot of kid guest stars, but the content of the shows themselves is more juvenile than ever. And the cast members themselves are so young, they're practically kids, so I guess why bother with kid guests is the thinking there.

Mine disappeared too apparently. I said don't forget Goggle V's child slave labor force.

Having said all that, Kibaranger is probably the character that I most dislike in all of Sentai. Kou is such an annoying little sh**.

I have to disagree there. I like that Kou is written like a child. Everything he does makes total sense.

Would like to change his avatar
Mine disappeared too apparently. I said don't forget Goggle V's child slave labor force.

The Comboy was learnin' stuff, though! And it was training to be the future Goggle V! I don't think the Comboy are that bad, even though I dislike when these shows feel like they have to pander to the kids by focusing heavily on kid characters...

D

Dr Kain

The Comboy was learnin' stuff, though! And it was training to be the future Goggle V! I don't think the Comboy are that bad, even though I dislike when these shows feel like they have to pander to the kids by focusing heavily on kid characters...

I never said it was bad, I just found it hilarious. I'm okay with kids being in Sentai. Hell, Ultraman is just as bad as times, especially the Showa shows.