krb49-03.jpg

Well, this is the end of the line. One final battle. One final dedication to "Love and Peace!" Then it's all in for a Ryuki-style ending but at least our heroes can remember their achievements, before looping back to their first drive together from the first episode, and one final reveal that the episode recap voice-overs have actually been in-continuity all along.

Personally I prefer this ending over that of Ghost or Ex-Aid, because it IS an ending instead of leading onto the next special that won't be released for six months. But the wheels of this franchise never stop moving, so next week it's time to get acquainted with Zi-O.

D

Dr Kain

I have mixed feelings on it. The battle would have been great if it wasn't the 8th time we had the "final" battle between Build and Evolt. I also feel like the writers wrote themselves up against a wall because they're only way to resolving the issue was to hit that world reset button when you have no idea how to end something. Big O did it. Evangelion did it. Ryuki did it. RahXephon did it. And now Build does it. I am tired of that trope.

On the other hand, it did give a Blade feeling since Sento sacrificed his own happiness for the better of the world. I just hate how they gave him the Zi-O watch at the end. Also, having Banjou also stay was kind of a cop out too since that was clearly done for crossover movies. Heaven forbid they actually do something permenant.

In the end, Build started up really strong, Gaim levels of badassery and then they defeated the main threat too early in the show and had to Dragonball the final fight over the last 9 episodes. That really brought the series down a notch for me, so it is just missing my top 10 list. W is still without a doubt the best Neo-Heisei show.

Build might be my favorite series now. I thought upping the scale of the threat with Evolt destroying planets and moons worked well to compensate for his early defeat in final form. He never felt as pointless as Cronus did after Muteki's debut and before he fused with Gamedeus near the ending.

I thought the atmosphere of the epilogue missed something though, but I can't really say for sure what it was. I really like how we're getting a sequel movie actually taking place in the new world though. I was really fearing they'd go back to side-stories or prologues. Either way, I can't even really miss Sento and Banjo yet since we'll see them in action for the next two weeks at least thanks to Zi-O.

Lurker
Build is great. They try to cover everything, even prologue have some meaning in the end. If i have to point to its weakness, it is Gentoku comic relief and Evolt gaining emotion. Those two didn't fit into story.

D

Dr Kain

At least the Gentoku comic relief was funny even if it was random.

Well, it was a long road, with many surprise twists that continuously changed the status quo of the show. But I loved nearly every second of the show. Neo Heisei has been shaping up to be a pretty awesome era for Kamen Rider over all, and Build is yet another awesome contribution to that trend.

From things like Gaim to Build... I honestly feel like Tokusatsu is reaching the point of achieving its own potential. There was a time when doing big scale, universe-changing stories like this were near impossible. People would say to leave it for comics/manga or cartoons/anime because there's no limit to what can be drawn. In decades past, if you tried to do grand-scale stories like this in Tokusatsu or its western adaptations, the production values and effects just weren't up to par and would take you out of the experience. KyuRanger, Build, and many more shows from recent years are proving that those limits of old are quickly disappearing. It's becoming a lot easier to bring a vision to life without making as many sacrifices to the visuals and so on. And yeah, you could argue that the CGI is still glaringly obvious and not as high-end as the average Hollywood blockbuster these days, but I just saw the CGI from "Dimensions in Danger". I think Japan is not only doing pretty good with what they've got, they've also greatly improved their CGI abilities over the years. Not once while watching Build was I ever taken out of the experience because of the CGI.

The only thing semi-sweet was the ending. I am glad they were able to set things right, even if it means no one will remember Sento or Banjo. Becoming the traveling hero with no place to call home just doesn't seem like a fitting end for Sento or Banjo. But I guess the show writers just had no where else to go.

I also feel like the writers wrote themselves up against a wall because they're only way to resolving the issue was to hit that world reset button when you have no idea how to end something. Big O did it. Evangelion did it. Ryuki did it. RahXephon did it. And now Build does it. I am tired of that trope.

Ah, but here in Kamen Rider, it's a bit more fitting and can be explained (not perfectly, but explainable none the less). I've said this before, and there is evidence to support what I'm saying. The Kamen Rider franchise has an >implied< connected universe. It's implied that everyone from Kamen Rider #1 to Build live in the same Earth, that maybe the Riders of old are letting new heroes handle new threats, but at the same time are ready to be a mentor for the new generation if it's ever necessary. And the show creators want that so it makes crossovers easier. They want that option, and having to traverse dimensions/realities as a story subplot makes things too complicated, especially if it means cutting precious time out of the crossover specials. I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, it doesn't explain how a connected universe is possible nor does it fix plot holes of such an implication. But we had a previous series revolving around Alternate Universes (Decade), ant that didn't work either. If anything, that just made things worse. This way, if the show runners want to make a crossover, they can just do it!

Again, not saying it's a perfect explanation. Even the creators of Kamen Rider can't make up their minds if every show takes place in the same Earth/Reality or not. And one could argue crossovers never needed an explanation for how or why. But sometimes the creators of Kamen Rider (and Super Sentai) try to put some thought into this or explain how crossovers are possible. Even if their explanations are flawed, if they want to treat it like a serious thing, then I'll do what I can to piece together their logic.

D

Dr Kain

I definitely agree it fits better with Build, I just think it's lazy writing at times. Like what was even the point of saving Touto's Prime Minister lady if they weren't going to do anything with her? It means her character was utterly pointless as all of her growth was wasted.

I wish Toei would write an ending for a series and not an ending for the crossover films. That is their biggest issue these days. They are so concerned with being able to reuse their characters over that they are letting their individual stories be hindered by this. It's why we will never see rangers or riders die ever again. Just like with Marvel and DC, death in Toku is now the equivalent of us calling in sick.

I just hope they finally do something with Foundation X in Zi-O.

they've also greatly improved their CGI abilities over the years.

Watch the first episode of Zi-O and you will think differently.

I just hope they finally do something with Foundation X in Zi-O.
I don't think it will happen. Based on the SHT movies and some of their net movies (which had Shirakura as their main producer like Zi-O), Shirakura seems to see Foundation X as a W villain, rather than the whole "organization bigger than a single Rider" concept Tsukada and now Ohmori were clearly pushing for it. They might appear for the W episodes, but I don't see them having a central role.

D

Dr Kain

I don't think it will happen. Based on the SHT movies and some of their net movies (which had Shirakura as their main producer like Zi-O), Shirakura seems to see Foundation X as a W villain, rather than the whole "organization bigger than a single Rider" concept Tsukada and now Ohmori were clearly pushing for it. They might appear for the W episodes, but I don't see them having a central role.

Which is stupid as they were clearly being built up to be the next Shocker.