Kaiju no Kami Reviews - Return of Ultraman (1971) Series and Blu-Ray

D

Dr Kain

While Eiji Tsuburaya originally intended to end the Ultra series with the trilogy that was Ultra Q, Ultraman, and Ultra Seven, fan interest kept the series alive. So much so that his son, Hajime, would continue his father's legacy with a new set of sequels, the first of which was titled simply Return of Ultraman. Is Ultraman Jack, as he would later become known, a return to form, or did Hajime and writer Shozo Uehara know jackshit about his father's creation? Watch to find out.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
>Raragon

IT'S PARAGON! HOLY **** HOW THE HELL DID YOU **** UP THE SPELLING ON THAT ONE, MILL!? And I even put my name in that Sci-Fi Japan contest (didn't get picked sadly)! Anyway, nice review there, doc. Kind of surprised you didn't mention when Snowgon tore Jack to pieces and his Ultra Bracelet allowed him to reform. I'm just going to warn you now that when you eventually get to Ultraman Taro there's going to be a lot of recycling (like A LOT) from this series including:

-Famous 60s monster revived with a cheap suit (here Zetton, there Eleking)
-Toxic gas spreading monster (here Mognezun, there Volkellar)
-Farting powers (here King Maimai, there Okiyaran)
-Bemstar
-Alien from Ultraman returns (here Baltan, there Mephilas)
-Monster on monster predation (here Gudon on Twin Tail, there both the first episode and when a certain volcano chicken shows up and yes it's the same one from Ultraman Mebius)
-Killer samurai statue (here Kodaigon, there Enmargo)
-Random Ultraseven cameo

And Ace and Taro are just really weird. Jack it's easy to just write off most of the monsters as ancient animals/alien weapons, not so much those two.

D

Dr Kain

I keep hearing a lot of negatives towards Taro, so I'm worried, but I guess it can't be worse than Leo though, right? I mean Leo was a boring to sit through as it tried way too hard to be edgy and grim dark while turning Ultra Seven into an unlikable jackass.