How Do You Handle Player vs. Player Conflict in Your Campaigns?

Owlbear

Membery
Player vs. Player (PvP) conflict can be one of the trickiest dynamics to navigate in tabletop RPGs. Some groups thrive on the drama and chaos it brings, while others prefer a more cooperative approach. As a DM, I've seen both sides.

In my latest campaign, we had a situation where one player’s chaotic neutral rogue decided to steal from the party’s cleric, who was just trying to get everyone healed up after a brutal encounter. It turned into a hilariously tense moment at the table, but I had to step in to ensure it didn’t derail the entire session.

I'm curious to hear how everyone else handles PvP scenarios. Do you set rules for conflict? Do you encourage it for roleplay opportunities? Or do you steer your players away from it altogether?

Let’s share our experiences and strategies! How do you keep it fun while avoiding hurt feelings?
 
I've definitely been in similar situations with PvP, and it can be a double-edged sword. In my last campaign, we had a rogue who was constantly trying to pickpocket the party wizard during downtime, nothing too malicious, just playful competition, but it did make things awkward when it came to trust within the party. I laid down some informal ground rules, like discussing intentions out of character and emphasizing that it should enhance the story, not derail it.

I think encouraging lighthearted PvP can lead to some genuinely funny and memorable moments, but I also keep an eye on the group's dynamics. If I sense tension, I’ll intervene or redirect things to keep everyone comfortable. How did you handle the aftermath of that stealing incident with your cleric? Did it spark any interesting character development or conversations?
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top