How bad is a yearly change for Tokusatsu series?

Yearly change works. It means these don't suffer the problems many American series do where they get tired or are simply around for so long that to keep things going the writing moves farther and farther away from the original premise to the point where it's barely recognizable anymore and the magic is just gone. It also means that if you didn't like the series of the previous year, the fact there is closure means that it doesn't effect the next one or even the previous one. Basically, if you liked Hongo Takashi as he was in his series you don't have to worry another writer radically changing everything you like about him just to keep it going another year. He has his complete story and he can join in on a team-up of needs be but his story can't be mucked with. Perhaps Hongo isn't the best example considering the existance of the First but I think you get my point.


There is also something to be said for an ending. I think it's cool that toku heroes can eventually win their battle and that they get to either retire from fighting or at least move on to other things. They have grown and changed in some large or small way for that experience, now is the time for something else. Yet, as team-up movies have proven should they ever be needed again, they will answer the call of justice.


Though I think sometimes franchises need a break. Kamen Rider is in desperate need of one IMO.

:198: Very well put indeed.
 
Most anime is continuing on without ending anytime soon, which could result in them ending without the stories ending. Need I say the word Inuyashu? Pokemon and Naruto are also in that danger.

Most? Hardly. 0_o

That's what I like about the vast majority of Japanese TV shows, they're typically a set number of episodes (usually ~12-50) that tell their story and then end. If there's still more to do with it/it becomes super popular then the show gets extended or it gets a sequel series but I would say that is the exception, not the rule (though it is not uncommon).
 
A story ends, a good series doesn't have to. Arc driven serials are great for me, since you can have your favorite characters and they just keep doing different things.

Can anyone say that the Simpsons is tired or the magic is gone from that show? If a series is suffering from these problems, it's not the fault of the length, it's a weakness in the writing
 
Yearly change is good. Keeps things fresh.

Amen, brother FK. Amen to that.

Yearly changes does work for me. Although it would be greater to see another chapter on the Sentais and Riders we loved.

The qualities, well I say depends on how well the writing is. I mean, Hurricanger was not too shabby, Abaranger is a-okay, Magiranger was even better then Boukenger. Gekiranger, I would say is was a little shaking at first, but then it gotten better when Long, Gou, and Ken came in.

Dekaranger, well I don't have a problem with the quality of the show, but the writing was too bleh....Now, if it had the cast from Boukenger as the main cast for Dekaranger, I say it might have a chance of giving the show some edge, but I doubt it.
 
Last edited:
I don't mind the change, but I wouldn't hate a multi-year story arc not unlike what Power Rangers did with MMPR and concluded through In Space.

Maybe it's in the cards since the past few Sentai Vs. movies have all had the AbaRanger curry shop as a connection.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top