Final Fantasy IV (1991): Dark knight Cecil seeks redemption while confronting betrayal, war, and cosmic threats. It pioneered cinematic storytelling and the Active Time Battle (ATB) system. AKA Final Fantasy 4, FF4, FFIV
There is no explanation why they love each other. They are lovers even before the game begins and it is not fleshed out. Yes it is an early game so they can use that as an excuse. In the Sequel IV-2 They are happily married and they had kids but yeah it still feel rushed. The remake could have fixed it but they didn't. They are suppose to be childhood sweethearts but we never get to see that. Maybe a prequel can solve that.
I would like to see a prequel that shows Cecil's story before he becomes a Dark Knight. A prequel like that can finally show how Cecil and Rosa fell in love. It can be a good title for the tablet of Nintendo Switch.
I also want to see Cecil working with Golbez when they are still allies. I mean he is the main villain of 4 after all.
I believe they grew up together as kids and they had some awkward teen years -but the story in Final Fantasy 4, dosen't explore their relationship much. They are in love with each other- but he(Cecil) cannot love Rosa while he is a dark knight though.
I would like to see a prequel that shows Cecil's story before he becomes a Dark Knight.
I think that might be part of it just that we really know nothing about it or the origins of anything there. Might be something to explore and would be a good addition I agree.
Sometimes, some stories are up to the point and we have habit of seeing the extras. So, if they both have a short and sweet story of being lovers and then happily married, then, it means that the creator of the game wants to focus on the game more than the story.
So in Final Fantasy IV there is no romantic subplot,Cecil and Rosa were in a romantic relationship even before the game started.
I agree, this is an example of one of those romance stories that already started way before the game even started. Personally, I prefer when you get to see the beginning of a beautiful love story.