Can We Talk About the Evolution of Antiheroes in TV Series?

Justin J

Active Member
I've been rewatching some classic series, and it struck me how much the portrayal of antiheroes has evolved over the years. Characters like Tony Soprano in "The Sopranos" paved the way for a whole new type of protagonist, where moral ambiguity became a focal point. It's fascinating to see how shows like "Breaking Bad" and even newer titles like "You" have taken that concept and run with it, creating complex characters that keep us invested despite their flaws.

Do you all think this trend is a reflection of our society's changing values, or is it just good storytelling? And who are some of your favorite antiheroes? Honestly, I can’t help but root for characters like Walter White even when I know he’s in the wrong. What about you? Let's hear your thoughts!
 
Totally agree with you on the evolution of antiheroes! Tony Soprano really set the bar, didn't he? The way shows like "Breaking Bad" and even "You" take that moral ambiguity and run with it is so compelling. It’s like we’re drawn to the chaos and the darker sides of humanity, which makes for some gripping storytelling.

For me, characters like Dexter Morgan from "Dexter" have a similar vibe, he's a killer, but the moral code he follows makes you root for him. It’s all about that tension between right and wrong, and how the showrunners spin it. I think it reflects a bit of our society's thirst for complexity in characters. What are your thoughts on how these antiheroes compare to more traditional protagonists? Do you think we're losing some of the classic hero tropes in favor of these morally gray characters?
 
I don’t think this is about society changing too much. I think writers just realized that flawed characters are more interesting to watch. A perfect hero can get boring fast. When I watched Walter White, I didn’t support his actions, but I understood his reasons at first. That is what kept me watching. I think the balance is important. If a character becomes too evil with no reason, I lose interest. Tony Soprano works because he still has human moments with his family. Same with Joe in “You,” even if he is very disturbing. My favorite antihero is actually not from these shows, but I respect how these series built the trend. For me, it is mainly about good writing and strong acting, not just social values changing.
 
I think antiheroes became popular because writers want more freedom with stories. When I watched Dexter, I was surprised that the main character is a killer but still follows his own rules. It made me think about justice in a different way. I did not fully support him, but I understood why he does what he does. I feel like this kind of character would not be accepted in older shows. Now people are more open to it. My favorite antihero is Dexter because he tries to control himself, even if he fails sometimes. That struggle makes him interesting to watch.
 
I don’t always enjoy antiheroes. Sometimes I feel like shows go too far. In The Boys, many characters are very extreme. It is interesting, but also tiring for me. I prefer a balance where the character still has some clear good side. I think antiheroes work best when they still have limits. Otherwise, I lose interest. I can see why people like it, but it is not always for me.
 
I think people like antiheroes because they are unpredictable. In Killing Eve, Villanelle is dangerous, but also funny in a strange way. I never know what she will do next. That keeps me watching. I don’t think this is about society. It is about entertainment. People want something different from the usual hero story.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top