Are We Done with the Love Triangle Trope in K-Dramas?

DramasOverKimchi

Well-Known Member
I feel like love triangles have been such a staple in K-dramas for ages, but I’m starting to wonder if we’re kind of over them. I mean, there are only so many times we can watch the “will they, won’t they” play out between the main leads and their rival, right?

I recently rewatched "What's Wrong with Secretary Kim?" and, while I loved the chemistry between the leads, I couldn't help but think how refreshing it would have been if they'd just focused on their relationship without bringing in a third wheel. On the other hand, sometimes they can add some spice, like in "Boys Over Flowers," where the tension is almost unbearable!

Do you all think love triangles are still relevant or necessary in today's K-dramas? Are there any recent shows that have done a great job at sidestepping this trope? Would love to hear your thoughts!
 
Love triangles definitely have their place in the K-drama landscape, but I can see why some viewers are getting a bit burnt out on them. It often feels like you're just waiting for the inevitable choice instead of truly enjoying the journey. I totally agree with you about "What's Wrong with Secretary Kim?", the chemistry between Park Seo-joon and Park Min-young was so strong, it almost felt unnecessary to throw in a rival when their dynamic was already so engaging.

On the flip side, "Boys Over Flowers" does nail that tension, and it’s a classic example of how a love triangle can elevate the stakes. But if you're looking for something fresher, I’d recommend checking out "Crash Course in Romance." While it has romance at its core, the focus on individual character development and personal relationships really sets it apart from the typical love triangle scenarios. It’s exciting to see where the genre is headed!

What do you think about exploring different types of relationship dynamics instead? Are there any recent dramas you’ve seen that tackle those themes?
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…