Any 2D-Shooter Fans in the House?

Keith Justice

New Member
Cuz my friend is gathering a competition of sorts for fans of the hard-core Shoot 'Em Up genre.

Here's the breakdown:

hanks to MC Wilson's unbelievably brilliant suggestion we will be designating March as National Shmup Month. As part of the Shmuppreciation, we'll be having a little competition. I'm still working out the rules for this, but please feel free to make suggestions below.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

The hardcore shmuppers at shmups.com generally define beating a shmup as 1CCing it. 1CC is defined as clearing the game without using all your lives, aka no continues. This also assumed to be done with default settings so no changing difficulty, number of lives, etc.

Now, getting good enough to do that would take way more than a month in most cases. So how about we see how far we can get on one credit by the end of March in a particular game? If people aren't keen on that, maybe we can limit the number of continues or something.

MC has nominated me to choose what game each participant will play, so I need to know what shmups you own. Please post and list what shmups and systems you own. I'm only counting traditional shmups, meaning vertical or horizontal scrolling so no rails shooters (Panzer Dragoon, REZ), hybrids (Philosoma, Xyanide) or run'n guns (Contra, Metal Slug). Please also list what your shmup preference is: Vertical or Horizontal scrolling. If you'd like me to suggest a new game for you to go out and purchase for the competition, I'd be happy to. Just give me the price range you're looking to spend.

If someone wants to participate, but doesn't really own any shmups to play and has a PC capable of mild gaming; there are a number of freeware PC shmups I can assign.

Since there's no way we can really judge who's the best when comparing completely different games, this is pretty much just for fun.

You have until February 28th to decide to join in.

More info to come as I think of it and update...

Thought I'd pass this own to the heroes and fighters of justice in case one of us wanted to show them how it was done. :thumbs:
 
I'm a shooter fan, but I'm not like, some hard core dude who lives and breathes it.:sweat:

exactly. It's almost not as fun when people have pin point aiming precision due to years of constant playing. Then it tends to get real competitive, the hardcores dont really have fun playing, they're just playing to win. And if you somehow get a lucky shot on them they curse up a storm into their mics, throw out inaudible profanities, and basically call you a hacker because there's no way that you could ever touch them ever... (I used to play some Counter Strike. >_> I have no fond memories of the experience except for when I got to play with average skilled gamers. Which evened the playing field for a time. Though clans often ruined that quickly.)
 
ah, that terminology befuddles me Masta. You know that. When I hear "shooter" I tend to think FPS. I love Gradius and R-type games. I seriously need to find a copy of Ikaruga as well. Great game. Though I really hate the "one hit kills you" idea. Because Im not the bestest R-type pro out there.
 
I like FPS games okay. But I don't own any for the PC.

On a related note, I was watching my friend play the Wii the other night, and was thoroughly unimpressed. Granted, he was playing Red Steel, which I was told was one of the worst games on the Wii, but the interface and controls seemed clunky and problematic. Also, I think this game should have a Light Gun, rather than work with the Wiimote.
 
Totally, dude. Especially in those paticular shooters like Espgaluda or Strikers 3 where they try to drown you in a sea of bullets and you need like, superhuman reflexes just to get through.

I dont know how people do it, honestly. Sometimes the screen will become nothing but little dots and laser pellets. I pretty much stop trying to dodge after that.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top