A show I think is overrated... Kamen Rider Kuuga

Allio

DAIMON PAWNCH
Okay seriously why is it by Kamen Rider fans that this show is placed as light the greatest Rider show ever.

I'm sorry, I respect people's opinions - in which, I hope you respect mine, and maybe I'm only doing this cause I saw the Gavan overrated thread, but I'm just going to say this...

Only three things I can give this show:
1) the style of the action
2) the Godai thumbs up... I'm all for that cheesy crap
3) ending song

Now the things I didn't like:

- The story was bland.
- I liked his personailty, but I hate Godai's character, by the end of the show I felt like he was some Gary Stu...I'm sorry but Yusuke had more character in the Kuuga world arc then Godai had in his whole damn show.
- None of the grongi were interesting, save for one.
- 0 was overhyped as hell
- The kuuga belt is Dues Ex Machina in physical form



But it was the return of Kamen Rider, maybe I was hoping for too much. I blame it on the fanbase.

Honestly, I don't see why fans places it at such heights for Kamen Rider shows... it's almost as bad as Black. Though at least for Black, the Shadowmoon arc I'm in is actually keeping my attention, if only just for long enough
 
Now the things I didn't like:

- The story was bland.
- I liked his personailty, but I hate Godai's character, by the end of the show I felt like he was some Gary Stu...I'm sorry but Yusuke had more character in the Kuuga world arc then Godai had in his whole damn show.
- None of the grongi were interesting, save for one.
- 0 was overhyped as hell

Well, there you have it. All those major reasons for why you don't like Kuuga, is the complete opposite for many other people who do love Kuuga so much. People liked all those elements that you don't like.
 
Last edited:
While I did like Kuuga a great deal, I personally found Godai to be very dull, especially next to the incredible supporting cast. It just never felt like the danger of the belt, that it was taking over his body and might turn him into a living weapon that wouldn't distinguish between friend or foe, was ever real, because he never allowed it to be. There was never any tension or challenge when it came to his convictions, nor was he ever allowed a moment of weakness in front of anyone else, at most a brief sad face when no one was looking but that was it. If he'd been allowed to be more flawed, have weaknesses beyond "I have to protect everyone", which is akin to claiming "too beautiful" as a flaw, I could have been more engaged with him as a character.
 
Considering there was only the Shin, ZO, and J...Kamen Rider was trying to get back into the swing of things.

Then again...11 forms...really?
 
OOO has over 100 forms. Can't use that as a argument. :P

Besides the forms in Kuuga are actually plot devices.
 
Because though the story was a bit bland ( you sure? The mystery surrounding the grongi was exciting to me) the plot was well written and well portrayed. The enemy actually dealt "real damage" aka leaves wounds and scars on the armour.

Its also the closest you can get to a serious rider. No super finisher, no imba rider. It was a fight of tooth and nail even to the end.

But yea..........the big boss fight to me was like "WHAT????? YOU CALL THAT A BOSS FIGHT?? DID YOU GUYS RAN OUT OF BUDGET?? "
 
All I'm going to say is that it's possible not to like something without that meaning it's "overrated."

You, personally, might not enjoy Citizen Kane, but that doesn't alter its objective quality or importance to the canon of film cinema.
 
While I did like Kuuga a great deal, I personally found Godai to be very dull, especially next to the incredible supporting cast. It just never felt like the danger of the belt, that it was taking over his body and might turn him into a living weapon that wouldn't distinguish between friend or foe, was ever real, because he never allowed it to be. There was never any tension or challenge when it came to his convictions, nor was he ever allowed a moment of weakness in front of anyone else, at most a brief sad face when no one was looking but that was it. If he'd been allowed to be more flawed, have weaknesses beyond "I have to protect everyone", which is akin to claiming "too beautiful" as a flaw, I could have been more engaged with him as a character.

Godai was not flawless. The idea was to have a character who kept all his sadness and suffering to himself so that he could focus on the needs of others. He was constantly fighting for the sake of others, while completely forgetting about himself.
The thing with most Heisei era Riders is that they are very busy being depressed over themselves.
Godai had more a showa era personality, where he knew that his body was already fucked up, so instead of complaining about it, he decided to make it useful.

I actually loved his whole attitude.
"So I got beaten? very well then. Then I just need to get even stronger!"
He was like Goku of the KR universe.

Kuuga and Agito are both shows that require you to think a little deeper into the characters. There is a lot of psychology going on in them, and it makes you appreciate them so much more when you discover the things that are hidden to the eye.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top