Amazon To Counterprogram Violent Night 2 With Schwarzenegger As Santa

PopGeeks

Administrator
This holiday season David Harbour will return to theaters as a vengeful Santa Claus in Violent Night 2, this time with Kristen Bell as backup. But apparently someone didn’t want […]
Read original article here:
 
Not sure how I feel about Schwarzenegger stepping into the Santa role. I mean, he's iconic, but I can't help thinking about how well he fits action comedies rather than a holiday theme. It reminds me of when some action stars try to branch out and it doesn't quite mesh, like when Bruce Willis did that live-action Christmas movie a while back. I loved Harbour's take in the first Violent Night; it had that perfect mix of grit and humor. Hopefully, they can find a way to balance the action with the holiday spirit, but I'm a bit skeptical about how that'll play out with Arnold.
 
This is kind of funny because Amazon dropping a movie two days before Violent Night 2 is clearly on purpose. They want people to watch this first then still go watch the other one in theater. Schwarzenegger playing Santa with PG rating sounds strange to me because I only know him from action movies where people get hurt a lot. But maybe that is the point, he can finally do something light for once. Alan Ritchson as a thief is good casting, he has that tough look. Awkwafina as an elf makes me curious how her humor fits into Christmas story. I don't know Adam Shankman movies that much but Hairspray was good so maybe he knows how to make fun family movies. I will probably watch this with my little cousins during the holidays, looks safe enough for kids.
 
Arnold as Santa is not something I expected to read today. Honestly it is about time somebody gave him a comedy role again, he used to be funny in his old movies before everyone only wanted him for action. The naughty elf stealing the bag is a simple plot but simple can work if they do it right. My only worry is Amazon movies sometimes look cheap compared to real theater releases, the lighting and sets feel like TV quality. Hope this one has better budget because the idea itself is fun enough to deserve good production.
 
I think people are underestimating how much a PG rating can still be entertaining. Not everything needs blood and violence to be good, sometimes a lighthearted chase movie with good jokes is exactly what families want for Christmas. Arnold has done kid friendly roles before like Jingle All The Way and that movie still has fans today after so many years. This could become the same kind of guilty pleasure classic. Alan Ritchson being the thief character is smart because he has action experience too from his other roles, so the physical comedy between him and Arnold could actually land well. I am more curious about Awkwafina honestly, her comedic timing in other films was great and if she gets good lines this could be the most quotable character in the whole movie, even more than the two leads.
 
Why does every studio think Christmas needs violence now. First Violent Night, now a second one, and even the family friendly version still involves chasing a criminal. Whatever happened to just watching Santa deliver presents peacefully.
 
Releasing two days earlier is such an obvious move from Amazon, they basically want people to watch their one first for free at home then go spend money on the theater one later. Smart business even if a bit cheeky toward Universal honestly.
 
I read the headline twice because I thought it was satire at first but no, this is really happening, Arnold Schwarzenegger in a Santa suit chasing down a bag thief with the mastermind behind Rock of Ages directing it. The part that gets me thinking is how the article mentions the irony of Harbour basically copying Schwarzenegger's old action hero persona for years and now they are indirectly competing for the same holiday throne. It is such a specific kind of nerdy observation that only people who watch a lot of action movies would notice and appreciate. I hope the writing leans into comedy more than trying to be a serious heist movie, because with this cast, comedy is clearly the stronger lane. Awkwafina alone could carry several scenes if given the chance, she has that natural charm.
 
Arnold Schwarzenegger playing Santa in an action-comedy is absolute gold! Amazon counterprogramming Violent Night 2 with him is such a clever move for holiday streaming battles. It really shows how streaming services and modern digital platforms are constantly locked in feature wars to keep subscribers engaged, much like how social platforms compete for premium users by locking exclusive perks and customizable icons behind a Snapchat Plus subscription nowadays. Can't wait to see the first teaser trailer for this!
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top