A TALENT FOR MURDER ~ To Be Released October 23, 2026

Mango Sorbet

What Am I made for?
“A TALENT FOR MURDER” is adapted from the 2014 play “Switzerland” by Joanna Murray-Smith. The play centers on the final chapter of Highsmith’s life in Switzerland, and her relationship with […]
Read original article here:
 
Helen Mirren playing Patricia Highsmith sounds like a perfect match to me. Highsmith was known for being cold and difficult with people, and Mirren has that same commanding energy in every role she takes. I read a bit about Highsmith before and she really did live like a hermit near the end, so this setting in Switzerland makes total sense. I am curious how they handle the psychological tension part because that is the hardest thing to do well in a film like this. Too many movies claim to be a mind game but end up predictable after twenty minutes. I hope this one keeps us guessing until the end. Also Alden Ehrenreich has been underrated for years in my opinion, so this could be a good comeback role for him.
 
This looks decent but I am a little tired of movies that adapt stage plays without changing much. Sometimes it just feels like watching a play with better camera angles. I hope the writers added enough cinematic elements so it does not feel stiff or too talky.
 
Not gonna lie, I only clicked because of Helen Mirren. She has never given a bad performance in her whole career as far as I remember. Even in mediocre movies she is the reason people stay watching. If she is playing someone as complex as Highsmith, I already trust this will be worth my time.
 
I did not know Highsmith wrote Ripley until I saw this post. Now I want to read the book before watching the movie. Does anyone know if the book gives more background on her personal life too?
 
This kind of slow burn psychological story only works if the writing is sharp enough. From the description, it sounds like every conversation between the two characters is a small battle of power. That is exactly the type of tension I enjoy watching unfold on screen. If the pacing is handled correctly, this could turn into one of those films people quote for years. I just hope the ending does not feel rushed like so many thrillers tend to be lately. Films like this need patience from both the audience and the filmmakers.
 
Wait, this is inspired by a real writer? That is actually creepy and cool at the same time. Adding a fictional guy into her real life story adds a nice mystery layer.
 
Reading this made me want to look up more about her past. She had a complicated life it seems, and using her final years as inspiration for a thriller is a smart choice by the writers.
 
I like when biographical films do not try to cover an entire life story. Focusing only on one specific period, like her final chapter in Switzerland, usually makes for a tighter and more focused narrative. Many biopics fail because they try to summarize decades of someone's life into two hours, and everything ends up feeling rushed and shallow. This approach seems smarter because it lets the tension actually build naturally instead of jumping through years quickly. I am interested to see how much creative freedom they took with Edward's character since he seems completely made up for the story. If done right, this could become one of my favorite thriller releases this year.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top