Shogun Producer Now Has The Rights To Mary Poppins

PopGeeks

Administrator
Tom Winchester is the producer of FX’s Shogun series, which is controversially getting a second season soon. The original season was an adaption of the James Clavell novel by the […]
Read original article here:
 
I grew up with the Disney Mary Poppins movie, so the idea of making her stranger and more mysterious is actually interesting to me. I barely remember the books, but I do remember that book Mary was not exactly the sweet nanny Julie Andrews played. If they really have eight books to work with, there is plenty of material without needing to invent a completely new story. The compass sounds especially weird in a good way. I can already imagine a modern adaptation making that into something important instead of treating it as a random magical object. I am also curious about how much of the original Disney image they would keep. Mary Poppins is such a strong part of popular culture that changing her personality could upset people fast. Still, I would rather see a different version than another remake of the same movie.
 
I honestly did not know there were eight Mary Poppins books. I always assumed there was one book and Disney built everything else around it. That changes how I look at this project. There is enough material for a whole series without having to repeat the movie. I also like the idea of Mary being a little unpleasant sometimes. A magical nanny does not necessarily have to be warm and friendly all the time. It could make her much more interesting.
 
The part about Disney letting the rights go is what caught my attention. Disney has held onto so many older properties for decades, so seeing Mary Poppins outside their control is surprising. I am not sure what happened behind the scenes, but maybe the 2018 sequel showed them that the character is not as easy to bring back as people assume. If someone actually follows the books this time, I would give it a chance.
 
I have to admit, I am more interested in book Mary Poppins than another version of the Disney character. The Disney movie is great, but it has become so familiar that another remake would not do much for me. A version where Mary can be strange, strict, mysterious, and even slightly threatening sounds much more memorable. Kids in older fantasy books were often allowed to meet adults who were not completely safe or predictable, and I miss that feeling in modern family entertainment.
 
The compass detail is hilarious to me because that sounds like the kind of magical object that should cause major problems. You give a child a compass that can apparently summon people from other parts of the world and then just leave? I would be asking a lot of questions. I actually hope the new adaptation keeps weird little things like that instead of cleaning everything up. Sometimes the odd details are what make an older book worth adapting. I do not need every magical object to have a complicated explanation either. Let Mary Poppins be strange.
 
Mary Poppins being creepy was always the version I wanted without knowing that was actually closer to the books. The movie version is charming, but there is something funny about a magical adult who appears out of nowhere, controls reality, and casually leaves whenever she wants. That is already a strange setup. Making her more mysterious feels natural. I would rather see that than another musical remake with the same personality.
 
I also find the Disney rights situation more interesting than the actual casting news would probably be. Disney has controlled so many famous characters for so long that I assumed Mary Poppins would stay with them forever. If another producer really has the book rights now, then this could be a rare chance to see the character without Disney's usual influence. I just hope they do not make the mistake of trying too hard to prove that their version is darker or more adult.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top