Gremlins 3 Is Delayed, Which Is Fine With Me

PopGeeks

Administrator
A few months ago Warner Bros said it was finally committing to a Gremlins 3. As someone who considers Gremlins 2 their very favorite movie of all time, I have […]
Read original article here:
 
Gremlins 2 is such a wild ride! The blend of comedy and horror is executed perfectly, and I love how it totally leans into the absurdity with all those creative gremlin antics. It's a tough act to follow, so I totally get your take on the delay, it gives them more time to capture that same chaotic spirit.
 
Losing Joe Dante feels like a big deal to me. He basically kept this whole thing alive since 1984, wrote the sequel, did the cartoon, and now he is not part of the actual movie. That is strange. I get that Spielberg and Columbus have big names, but Dante had the specific weird humor that made these movies work. Without him I worry this becomes generic. Still curious about it though, gremlins as a concept is fun no matter who is behind the camera. Just hoping the writers respect what came before instead of playing it safe. 2028 is far away so lots of time for opinions to change.
 
Gizmo teaser alone got me interested not gonna lie. Even without knowing anything else about the movie, seeing that little guy again makes me want to see more. I know Howie Mandel might not do the voice anymore but honestly as long as gizmo still acts cute and mischievous I will be satisfied. People are worried about tone and writers and directors, and sure that matters, but the character design and creature effects are what always pulled me in as a kid. If they nail that part visually, I can forgive some story issues. Practical effects please, not too much CGI. That is my only real request here.
 
I understand the concern about Joe Dante missing but I want to give this a fair chance before judging. Directors change on franchises all the time and sometimes it still works out fine. Columbus has experience with family friendly stuff with an edge, look at some of his older work. Maybe this version will find its own identity instead of copying the old films exactly. I am cautiously optimistic, not hyped, but not dreading it either. The delay actually helps here because rushed sequels tend to feel messy and unfinished. Give the writers time to actually build a story worth telling instead of chasing a release date. I will wait for actual trailers before forming a real opinion, teasers do not tell us much yet.
 
Not gonna lie I have low expectations for any sequel this many years later. Studios keep bringing back old franchises hoping nostalgia will sell tickets without putting in real creative effort. Gremlins 2 succeeded because it took risks and made fun of itself, that kind of confidence is hard to recreate on purpose. If this new one tries too hard to be clever like the second one, it might feel forced instead of natural. I would rather they take a completely new direction instead of trying to copy what worked before. At least the delay shows they are not just rushing this out for a date. Small comfort, but I will take it. Still gonna watch it either way honestly, I am weak for these movies no matter what.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top