Eye See You
72680_10151507203798516_2106247529_n.jpg

:patriotic:

Due to having nightmares where I was in the movie, I decided to track down Return of Godzilla, which I only saw once as the dub a long time ago. So barely remembered anything.

The movie felt ever-so-eighties, and while definitely with flaws, I wished there were more movies were made in that era. It would have been interesting. While the human characters served their function and weren't terribly interesting, I found myself most intrigued by the international politics. I heard the American dub made the Russians more evil, or something.

That looter who was trying to take advantage of a nice abandoned restaurant and was interrupted by Godzilla scaring him...he was kinda weird. At least he helped rescue our leads, though.

The Godzilla face was weird looking, but he had that roar in the early Heisei series that made him kinda scary to me. Also, is that a large foot prop they are using for this movie?

The sadness of Godzilla falling into the volcano is negated by the knowledge he will appear again. And then a pop song in the credits! At least the other music was nice.

The Shockiras were suitably creepy, but there was only one. Wonder if it would ever return ala Meganulan.

Return of Godzilla is a boring film with AMAZING atmosphere. Like, I really can't help but love it for that despite its script being fairly poor. XD

The Ends JustiΦ's the Means
Man, how about that American Godzilla movie, right? *hides behind anything*

On a slightly more serious note, I've been getting more and more into the Godzilla franchise for the past year or so (thanks to a couple of friends on the boards) and I've gotta say that my perception has changed over time. I used to see the movies as dumb monster movies with no plot and a lot of miniature smashing. But I'm slowly coming to see how much heart these movies have, both in the characters and effort put into the productions.

I've only seen a handful of movies: Godzilla vs Megalon, vs Gigan, vs Space Godzilla and the aforementioned American Godzilla. I'm still working through Final Wars, got about 15 minutes in first time around but I want to eventually finish it. But right now, my favorite is vs Megalon. Some of it has to do with how I first saw it, which was at a theater with an original 1970s print if I remember correctly. But it was just a really fun movie to watch. Makes me really want to see the original movie soon, too.

I forget what the point of this post was......oh yeah, shoutout to Matthew Broderick for being the worst protagonist in any movie, ever. :p

shoutout to Matthew Broderick for being the worst protagonist in any movie, ever. :p
In all fairness, that WAS a lot of fish :anime:

If you think Godzilla was the worst leading role you've seen, all I can say is thank goodness you clearly never saw the Inspector Gadget movie :redface2:
On a slightly more serious note, I've been getting more and more into the Godzilla franchise for the past year or so (thanks to a couple of friends on the boards) and I've gotta say that my perception has changed over time. I used to see the movies as dumb monster movies with no plot and a lot of miniature smashing. But I'm slowly coming to see how much heart these movies have, both in the characters and effort put into the productions.
I had a similar experience. Even when I started watching Kamen Rider I still didn't see why anyone would want to watch an old black and white movie of a man in a rubber dinosaur suit kicking a train set to bits. Now I'm tracking down the spin-offs and related films and even sometimes pausing the video to look at the minatures more closely *such a geek*

The set photos for the new movies looks great. I can't wait for the hype train to start soon. It's making me feel like a little kid again :)!