Matrioska Games’ energetic hack-and-slasher Fallen Angel was released last October. If you’ve played it through and you’re looking for more challenge, you’ve found it: Matrioska just added Challenge Modes and Boss Rush Mode to the game.
The Challenge modes handicap your character in one of several ways (play without upgrades, play without weapons, turn on permadeath). You can activate the Boss Rush Mode at the start of a new game, and face all the bosses in one grueling gauntlet. You’ll receive SOME help — three randomized loot chests will be collectible between battles — but other than that you’re on your own. You can choose to either face every boss in a row or play a randomized mixup. Beat ’em quick to secure a place on the online leaderboards.
The framing device for Fallen Angel takes inspiration from the Old Testament and is more accurate than these things tend to be (Lucifer, the character you control, is a fallen angel and not a horned super-demon). But…not SO accurate that you could teach it in Sunday School (God has weirdly gone missing, leaving a power vacuum that the archangels are all fighting to fill).
There’s also the fact that the areas Lucifer explores include “strange high-tech constructs, idyllic earth-like plains, cyberpunk nightclubs, floating islands and more beyond.” You have your pick of several different fighting styles, whether you prefer shooting weapons, large blades or your own fists.
- An incredible soundtrack to battle through Heaven’s gates and eliminate all archangels that stand in the way to the throne of Heaven.
- Brutal and seamless combat styles for ground and aerial approaches, including unique combos for players to smash out.
- Beautiful pixel art and animations with several different flavors of Heaven.
- Challenging boss fights that re-imagine the marvels of the Old Testament.
- Full controller support to suit every player’s preferred style.
- Co-op availability to bring carnage to Heaven with a friend.
Fallen Angel is available now on Steam for $19.99.