In April of 2019, publisher Raw Fury and developer EggNut published Backbone: Prologue on Steam. Intended as a preview of a larger game they were working on, the free demo won praise from critics and gamers alike, and since then, everyone’s been anticipating the full game. Looks like the wait is almost over.
Just like in the demo, you’ll be playing as private investigator Howard Lotor, cracking cases in the noir-tinted shadows of a dystopian Vancouver BC. According to the official logline, “after years of small-time cases, lonely evenings, and just barely scraping by, Howard is swept into a job quite unlike any other before it. What starts as a menial case slowly unravels into something much darker, pitting Howard against the oppressive, systemic power hierarchies of the City itself.” Sound great? One other thing…Howard is a giant raccoon.
- Become a raccoon as you explore the seedy underbelly of Vancouver inhabited by anthropomorphic animals.
- Make meaningful connections with a diverse cast of characters in pursuit of truth in an increasingly tangled mystery.
- Modern dystopia tells a tale of a cold and existentialist world, bleak and dreary, but not entirely without hope.
- High-res 2.5D pixel art creates a breathtaking landscape to explore alongside 3D effects like dynamic lighting, pouring rain, volumetric fog and neon lights.
- Original doom jazz soundtrack adds to the cinematic ambience and tells a story with every sound.
Backbone: Prologue is still playable and still free, if you haven’t tried it yet. Check it out and don’t forget the release of the full Backbone, June 8 on Steam and GOG.