French indie developer Artisan Studios has just launched their new classic-styled JRPG, Astria Ascending, on every console currently on the market. If you have any of those, or a PC, you can play the game.
The world of Orcanon is in danger. It’s up to the eight legendary heroes known as the Demigods to save it. Pick one of them and go on a 30 to 50 hour quest (depending on if you want to 100% everything) illustrated with pretty 2D paintings. You’ll be mainly engaging in turn-based combat, but there will also be optional side quests and minigames to occupy your time.
A lot of work went into Astria Ascending (three years’ worth) and the lineup of talent that brought it to life is respectable: the narrative was written by Kazushige Nojima (Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy VII Remake), the soundtrack was scored by Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy XII, Vagrant Story), and the art was created by the folks at CyDesignation (Akihiko Yoshida and Hideo Minaba).
‘Getting here has been a long and eventful journey, like any great RPG! But now we’re finally at the destination and I can’t wait for players to experience this world.’ said game director Julien Bourgeois. ‘Astria Ascending has been a great opportunity to create our vision of a JRPG for the modern era, while still respecting the classics.’
- Epic tales – Fight for the future while you reckon with the past; sacrifice everything, relinquish nothing. The story of Astria Ascending was developed in part by writer Kazushige Nojima, known for his work on Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy VII Remake.
- Living landscapes – Travel the world of Orcanon, a richly imagined and fully animated 2D landscape with five cities and a dynamic weather system.
- Unforgettable characters – Pick from eight customisable player characters spanning a range of fantastical races and skills, and assemble a diverse team of heroes.
- Rewarding combat – Work together to save the world, waging strategic turn-based battles using the innovative focus point system.
- A treat for the ears – With music and SFX from composer Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy XII, Valkyria Chronicles), Astria Ascending is a heart-swelling joy to listen to.
Check out Astria Adsending today on Playstation 4, Playstation 5, Nintendo Switch, XBox One, XBox Series, XBox Game Pass and PC.