Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, a supernatural horror role-playing video game which takes place in the strange worlds of Howard Phillips Lovecraft, has launched its Kickstarter campaign. Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones will draw the player into a bleak journey from a ruined Arkham to the very depths of the Abyss.
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is set to have a number of features, including:
- A hand drawn 2D world which reflects the mood of Lovecraft and the pulp era of horror.
- Quests and storylines which capture the iconic themes of Lovecraft. Take part in your favorite horror stories and shape their outcome according to your role-playing style.
- Weirdest of the companions will accompany you in your accursed journey. Lonely antediluvian of “The Outsider”, a dead WW1 soldier reanimated in the hands of “Herbert West”, a psychic narcissistic cat from Ulthar and more will be among your eccentric cast of companions.
- Sanity and the mental state of the character will have influence on the dialog options. Mental conditions create benefits as well as hindrances. Sometimes being mad in a mad world helps.
- Belief Systems determine what the characters find comfort in and regenerate lost sanity alongside providing unique role-playing opportunities. A rational character gains sanity after completing a research on a mythos creature while a divine one gains sanity after converting a lost soul to the path of God.
- A unique spell system which sometimes takes more than what it gives. The black magic of Stygian is very potent but will cost you your mind, health and sometimes your very soul. Being a master of the true occult is unlike flinging colorful missiles from your finger tips.
- Turn based tactical combat in beautiful 2D with Heroes of Might and Magic like perspective.
- 7 different Archetypes with completely unique prologue stories and specialities.
- The struggle is not for saving the world, that battle is lost already. Find salvation or settle a vendetta in a doomed world.
The narrative of the game is strongly connected to the works of H. P. Lovecraft. In your quest, you’ll use the haunted violin of Erich Zann to lure a fiendish deity and convince the poor wretched protagonist of “The Outsider” to join your party among many others.The heavy burden of fighting a desperate battle with forces beyond recognition will haunt you to the end of the game. You can find Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones on Kickstarter here.