Who would have guessed that a failed horse movie from the early 2000s would wind up being this lucrative? Dreamworks released Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron at a time in which traditional 2-D animated features were on their way out (Shrek, from their own studio, had already made his first farting appearance). Yet Spirit, these days, is somehow getting a lot more work than Shrek is. He has his own multi-season Netflix series, and soon there’ll be a Spirit video game where kids can take that light brown horse for a ride themselves.
The full title is Dreamworks Spirit: Lucky’s Big Adventure, coming to consoles and PC this summer. Lucky is a little girl who lives in frontier-era America, and Spirit happens to be her horse. In the game, she’s on the hunt for hidden treasure in Miradero, but the squeaky-clean presentation will explore other themes such as “adventure, friendship and the special bond between a girl and her horse.”
● BE LUCKY – Star in a new adventure with your fearless best friends Abigail and Pru.
● BOND WITH SPIRIT – Groom Lucky’s faithful mustang to help him grow stronger and trek to new regions.
● RIDE THE FRONTIER – Explore a wild, open landscape full of collectibles.
● SHOW YOUR STYLE – Give Lucky a new look with outfits and accessories collected throughout the game.
● LIVE THE LIFE – Rescue animals in danger, help the townsfolk, compete in horse races, take photos and more!
Outright Games and Universal Games will be releasing Dreamworks Spirit: Lucky’s Big Adventure later this year for Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch, XBox One and PC.