Riot Games, the game company behind League of Legends, today revealed that more than 1.4 million players log on to enjoy the award-winning PC game every day. With over 15 million registered players, an average of ten games of League of Legends start every second of every day. As the first season of competitive League of Legends play comes to a close, the number of active players each month has grown to over four million.
“We are extremely proud and appreciative of the devoted League of Legends community which has grown substantially over the last year and a half,” said Brandon Beck, CEO of Riot Games. “We’re committed to continuing to match their dedication with our relentless focus on ongoing enhancements to the player experience with great new features, content, and polish – and we have some very exciting surprises in store just around the corner.”
The League of Legends service currently operates servers in North America and Europe. Peak concurrency between the two platforms totals over 500,000 simultaneous players. In addition:
- · Every day, over a million games of League of Legends are played, most consisting of two teams of five players.
· Gamers spend 3.7 million hours in-game enjoying League of Legends every day.
· The official website for League of Legends receives over 6 million page views per day.
· 1.4 million people like League of Legends on Facebook, and League of Legends videos have nearly 100 million views on YouTube.
· Over 1,690,000 viewers tuned into the online broadcast of the League of Legends Season One Championship, with concurrent viewership peaking at over 210,000.
League of Legends, Riot Games’ debut title, celebrated its first anniversary on Oct. 27, 2010. Since its launch in North America and Europe, over 15 million players have downloaded the game to engage in session-based, multiplayer battles against rival teams, with more than 1.4 million players enjoying League of Legends every day. Built by a veteran development team, League of Legends combines elements of both strategy and competitive action genres. With plans to launch in China, Southeast Asia and other regions in 2011, the League of Legends community continues to grow.