You may not have heard of the Numantine War, but you’ve more likely heard of NUMANTIA, the new strategy game that puts history at your control. It’s out today for Playstation 4 and PC.
NUMANTIA is based on a real event that happened over 2000 years ago, The game is set in the Iberian Peninsula during the Roman Republic era, at the tail end of a 20-year conflict between the Romans and the Celtiberian tribe of Numantia. It was at this point the Romans sent their best general, Scipio Aemilianus, to put an end to the Numantians’ rebellion once and for all, igniting a conflict known as the Siege of Numantia.
“Two years ago, we decided to develop a strategy game after discovering that 2017 happens to be the 2150th anniversary of the Siege of Numantia,” says Jaime Arcaya, marketing director at RECOtechnology, the dev team that made the game. “We thought it was a great story – and a foundation like no other for a game based on the Roman Republic.”
In NUMANTIA you can play on either the Roman or the Numantian side. Both sides command an army of 30 units, from foot soldiers to long-range arrow-shooters. History has already been written, but how this clash ends in the game is up to you. You’ll also have the option of battling one-on-one against a friend.
* Experience a narrative-driven campaign set between 153 B.C. and 133 B.C.
* Choose between the fearless Celtiberian tribe of Numantia or the mighty Republican army of Rome.
* Lead a massive army of 30 units – such as spearmen, slingers, cavalry, and even siege machines – in epic battles.
* Take on the campaign solo or fight a friend in a one-on-one battle.
* Manage a full-fledged army and witness historical events unfold.
We previously reported that the game would be out for XBox One on this same day; however, for unknown reasons, it has been delayed one week. Look for it now on Halloween, October 31.