My Demon is a fantasy and romantic comedy, with 16 episodes, released in 2023, currently streaming on Netflix and Wavve.
♦ An Accidental Blind Date
In “My Demon”, there is a demon named Jeong Gu-Won who hides his age well. By looking at him, you would not know that he was about 200 years old. That’s how long he has been making deals with humans. He grants their wishes and they can live the life they please for 10 years. When the time is up, they have to pay up, per the contract.
Do Do-Hee was adopted when she was 11 years old. She is a chaebol heiress and runs her own business. Marriage is out of the question but her grandmother insists on setting up blind dates. One day she meets a young man in a restaurant and mistakenly believes that he is her blind date. Although very handsome, he is also very strange.
Funny! Jeong Gu-Won thinks she’s strange too and she makes him nervous although he does not know why. He is accustomed to having conversations with humans that end up with them signing a contract. However, his conversation with Do Do-Hee is confusing. Doesn’t she want to make a deal?
♦ A Murder Attempt Fails
Jeong Gu-Won sits on the top of a tall building so he can view the city and find humans willing to sign his “Sell Your Soul” contract. Do Do-Hee call a designated driver so that she does not drive under the influence of alcohol? When the driver shows up, he locks her in the car and attempts to kill her. She manages to escape and starts running for her life.
It’s late at night and the misty fog makes it difficult for her to see. As she is trying to run away from the killer, she sees the silhouette of a man coming toward her. As he gets closer, she recognizes him as the man she met as her blind date. She screams for him to help her and true to form … Jeong Gu-Won tries to make a deal.
Is he insane? A murderer is chasing her!
Do Do-Hee is desperate to escape the killer so she says “Yes” to whatever it is he’s talking about. Jeong Gu-Won thinks he’s about to close a deal when the killer drives the car towards him and Do Do-Hee. They are close to a body of water and Do Do-Hee falls backwards into the water. Jeong Gu-Won dives in to save her but loses consciousness.
♦ A Demon Loses His Power
Do Do-Hee and Jeong Gu-Won are both underwater struggling to survive. Do-Hee grabs his hand trying to save him, and at that moment, Jeong Gu-Won’s demon powers are transferred to her.
Jeong Gu-Won can’t explain why or how he lost his demonic powers. But now he has to stay close to Do Do-Hee, and hold on to her wrist because that’s his only way to use the supernatural powers. If he does not get his powers back then, according to the Demon Manual, POOF! Spontaneous combustion! He will go up in flames.
By this point, Do Do-Hee realizes he is a demon. Nevertheless, she hires him as her bodyguard. She needs one since someone is trying to kill her. He accepts the job because that’s a convenient way for him to stay close to her so that he doesn’t become a blazing ball of fire! That was the start of their relationship.
- Do Do-Hee (played by Kim You-Jung, “Dong Yi”, “Lovers of the Red Sky”)
- Jeong Gu-Won (played by Song Kang, “All of Us are Dead”)
Viewership and Rating:
- IMDb Rating: 8.3 out of 10 stars
- My Drama List: 8.6 out of 10 stars
- Dramabeans: 7.2 out 10 stars
My personal rating coincides with IMDb and My Drama List. The 8-ish out of 10 stars is reasonable. My Demon is lighthearted and enjoyable entertainment, not too intense. It’s the kind of content fans of Kim Yoo-Jung expect to see.
Viewers would probably like to curl up on the couch and watch it on a Saturday afternoon with a bowl of popcorn or ice cream. It’s got that kind of vibe. The demon is too handsome to be scary. LOL.
LINKS OF INTEREST:
- Binge-Watch 5 K-Dramas and Movies Starring Kim Yoo-Jung | Filmfare
- Kim Yoo-Jung and Song Kang cast in SBS drama “My Demon” | AsianWiki Blog
- “Castaway Diva” And “My Demon” Dominate Most Buzzworthy Drama And Actor Rankings | Soompi
- SWORD DANCE: “Korean sword dances are a famous type of Korean dance. They are known for their grace and beauty, and are performed by Korean folk dancers using special costumes, music, and dance moves. The name “geommu” is a combination of the Korean words “geom” meaning sword, and “mu” meaning dance.” (REF: Newworldencyclopedia.org. “Geom-Mu: The Korean Sword Dance – New World Encyclopedia,” 2017. https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Geom-mu:_The_Korean_Sword_Dance.)
Netflix K-Content. “My Demon | Official Teaser | Netflix [ENG SUB].” YouTube Video. YouTube, October 30, 2023. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xplPZTVBOOE.