Keith "JC" Hayward said:
http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projects/filmography/film/neon_genesis
I've never been one to spazz out and cry for people not to remake something, but this... I really don't think it needs to be done. I'd rather it be left alone..
I need to lay down a few truths to you, my man.
1) This news is hugely old. These pictures were released over a year ago, perhaps years.
2) If you read the link you actually gave us, WETA admits "The Project is on HOLD" meaning the movie production is, indeed, on hold. May not happen. But reliminary work had started.
3) Back when this movie was first announced, they said GAINAX and ADV Films would BOTH work closely together on a script that not only remains faithful to the original story but would adapt it so it suits American audiences better.
4) Before you say "it doesnt need adaption", it does. Evangelion is about a
Japanese boy's psyche. How his mind works and what Japanese boys go through psychologically. Obviously, the core of america wouldnt know and wouldnt care. They wouldnt connect to it the same way Japanese boys connected to it in Japan. Thus, it does need adaption in the sense that Shinji needs to represent the American boy psyche now for a broader audience ranger.
5) Its fucking WETA. Do you not freaking know them by now? They are WETA god dammit. They ARE gods. So are GAINAX so are ADV. I think all three of them working on this project will give us ALL something to praise. Even people who arent fans of Evangelion. Honestly... Look at those three companies and tell me you have a problem. You shouldnt.
6) Finally, this project is old and may not happen anymore. But it did get off the ground a bit. And I honestly hope it does come out. What does it hurt? Its much better than getting ANOTHER Ninja Turtles movie. or ANOTHER super hero movie that we DONT NEED. This is something far more. Its a freaking live action ANIME movie! With American budgets. And in the end, what does it hurt? What? Does it hurt you at all? No. Does it hurt the original anime series? No. You still have that DVD set boxed up in your room (and if you dont, then you sir have NO right to be bitching about this movie. Not until I see some hardcore Eva fandom in that room! I demand it!) and that DVD set wont change a single bit.
So what does it hurt? I say let them do it. If it sucks, we can FORGET about it and movie on knowing we have the original and best version in our house. But if it rocks, we GAIN something from it. But we wont lose anything from this venture.
This is my same argument for Masked Rider. I say let them adapt Ryuki and Faiz and Blade for america. If it sucks oh well. But if it rawks then we GAIN something from it.