S

scikaiju

“I'm surprised and not surprised Ultraman showed up,” Bill commented as the column of light faded away revealing the being inside.

Boris snorted a bit from his Wing, “He's smaller than I expected. Tales made him sound much bigger.”

“Truth is better than fiction,” Ryo told him. “All units take up a holding pattern around the area. Do not engage unless ordered to.”

Already uttering his standard battle cry Daxium charged toward King Joe. The robot did nothing as he unleashed a series of punches and kicks. Then when he stopped a vicious backhand from the robot sent him flying into a nearby building, causing it to cave a bit. King Joe came at him and Daxium rolled out of the way as it tried to grab him. A flash bolt made the machine stop momentarily. Daxium ran in with a flying kick that barely made it budge. He had to back flip out of the way as the golden machine tried to grab him again. Realizing what he had to do the giant banged his forearms together and held them out in a strong pose as he shifted into his power mode. Going in again Daxium started striking the robot. Joe was recoiling now but it was standing.

Then it moved faster than he was expecting as it broke through his attacks and grabbed him around the neck. The giant pounded on it's arms as he was slowly being pressed down to his knees. Grabbing it's wrist and grunting he forced himself back up with all he had and started to remove those hands from his neck. Then the robot kicked him I the stomach bending him over from the blow. Grabbing him around the head and neck King Joe lifted him up and slammed him against another building. As it crumbled from the impact Bridge and Emiko had made a discover on their own. “King Joe is accessing the UNDF database,” Emiko told them. “With a priority on everything we have on Ultraman.”

“The AI,” Greenberg said in understanding, “it trying to learn how Ultraman fights.”

“I've already blocked it access,” Bridge announced. “It's trying a different attack route. Emiko I'm going to need your help in stopping it.” She nodded and they both started hitting the keys in front of them as fast as humanly possible.

While that was going on King Joe picked up and threw Daxium into another set of building. Several rounds of rockets exploded off it's metallic hide it reached up and ripped a radio tower off a near by building. As Daxium struggled to get off the ground King Joe started swing the tower down against his back over and over. The Alpha One aimed it's missiles at the tower in it's hand before Daxium was hit again. With it's weapon gone King Joe then reached down and grabbed the giant around the neck and hauled him up, using him as a shield. Daxium cried out in pain as a series of missiles struck him before the Wings knew what was happening. “****,” Jess from her station. Letting go of his neck King Joe spun him around and punched him down again. On his back Daxium cried out again as a foot came stomping down his chest over and over. Then the robot held it there and leaned forward bit so a good chunk of it's weight was in one spot as it started grinding it's foot into his chest. Before long the jewel started to blink red on Daxium's chest.

“Main laser fire!” Jess called out. A massive beam hit King Joe causing it to stop. It was enough of a reprieve that Daxium grabbed the foot keeping him down and pushed the robot off of him. Scrambling to his feet as the robot quickly regained it's balance he took up a fighting position again and tried to figure a new angle of attack in the time he had left.

“We have something!” Williams cried out. “There's a less armored area right under King Joe's chest. “It's going to be a million and one shot though but the Alpha One's main laser should pierce it.”

“Wade?”, Hawk called vack to her from his chair.

“Just get me in position,” she said as the information came up on one of her screens. The Alpha One tried to giver her a shot but King Joe kept moving. “Come on,” she muttered as she waited for the shot, “figure out what we're doing.”

Daxium saw the human's jet not sure what they were trying to hit. But Ken was watching at that moment to at the giant's request. Ken lowered his head and closed his eyes as he tried to recall what he could remember of the King Joe plans. They had to have found something but what? Not what, he realized, but where. They were trying to get in front of it. “Grab it from behind and hold 'im!” Daxium rushed toward King Joe and was able to get behind it. Grabbing both it's arms he struggled to turn the massive machine toward the Alpha One.

On board Jess quickly locked down her target, “Main laser fire!” The beam hit the designated spot. An small explosion seemed to happen inside King Joe as it's movements started to get more jerky. Daxium let go and held his fist to the flashing jewel on his chest and drew in energy. Rearing back with that fist he launched it forward as King Joe turned around and faced, unleashing the full force of Giga Wave on it's chest. The energy from the wave obliterated most of the machine and the rest exploded as it fell. Breathing heavily for a moment as he held his own chest he looked up at the sky.

With a “Shiah!” he flew off into the heavens.

From his wing Boris asked, “Where does he go?”

Ryo smiled to himself, “We stop asking that a long time ago.”

On the ground Ken reappeared from a ball of light. Immediate;y his free hand went to his chest, as he was now feeling any damage Daxium took during the fight. Then, without warning, “Ulturaman!” Looking around in a panic he found the source. It was a group of kids, and all of them seemed really excited. Ken put a finger to his lips and hoped they got the message. They apparently did as the put their hands to their mouths and nodded their heads. Then the ran off giggling and Ken just smiled to himself.

“Da, it's a beauty of a ship,” Boris had commented as he Ryo and Bill walked around the Alpha One the next day. “Pity I never had a chance to pilot her myself. But city needed help first.” For most of the Tower personal and the Castle crew that volunteered to do what the could with the clean up. And that stay of an extra day was at Greenberg's insistence, as a bit if a thank you for helping with the King Joe situation. To relax a bit before the trip and make sure the Alpha One was well supplied.

“Maybe if we stayed an extra day,” Ryo told him. “But Captain Hawk, and the rest of us too, are anxious to get back home. We don't know when Brooks is going to send out his next creature.”

“Maybe next time I visit Castle,” Boris said. “But hopefully that time will not be as entertaining.”

“We can't make any promises there.”

Bill started tapping Ryo on the arm, “I don't think all of us are in that much of a hurry to get back buddy.” They looked over to see Bridge talking to Emiko.

“Lucky man,” Boris told them. “She is very much in her shell when not behind computer. It's good to see her interested in somebody.” Bill and Ryo just exchanged knowing looks.

S

scikaiju

“I think I have everything,” Bridge said as he just sort of glimpsed at the cases by him. “I can't really think of anything I've forgotten.” He wanted to ask for something but wasn't sure how to.

“Perhaps,” Emiko held a piece of paper, looking almost as unsure as he was, “Nathan, you were forgetting this?” Bridge took it and looked it over as he started smiling. It was her personal contact information.

“Yes I definitely almost forgot that. And this too.” He found a piece of paper and quickly wrote down his contact information and handed it to her. “”We'll work out the time difference as we go.” Figuring out what was going on Ryo and Bill slapped hand in celebration for him. There was a slightly awkward moment where they couldn't decided what to do next so they settled on a quick hand shake and went their separate ways.

Once he was close enough Bill wrapped a arm around him, “Bridge you sly dog.”

“Cut it out will you,” he said looking super embarrassed as they entered the Alpha One.

“Are I sure I can't get you and your crew to stay an extra day Captain?”, Greenberg asked as the two of them approached the super jet. “It's very relaxing here. Most days that is.”

“We're needed back at Castle,” Hawk told him. “Commander Reid says the coast is clear for the moment, but that can change anytime. Besides, you probably have to start replacing O'Hara and the members of her staff that was in with her for this mess.”

“Yes and the mess in general,” Greenberg agreed. “”It's going to take months to rebuild things here and in the city. Just based on the estimates on the work being done in the states after such an attack. Honestly I'm not sure how you deal with it on a regular basis.”

“You be surprised what you can get used to,' Hawk told him.

“As for replacing O'Hara's department.” he sighed, “I already have applications to look at. After we question her entire staff that is. I hope it's not the case but I may have to replace every single one of them depending on what they knew. However,” a smile returned to his face, “are you sure I can't borrow Ken for a bit? Say a year or five?”

Hawk chuckled, “That's still a no Doctor.”

“I was afraid you were going to say that,” he looked a bit chagrined. “Ah well have a good trip home Captain, it might be a slightly interesting one.

As he walked off leaving Hawk to ponder what that meant he suddenly heard something new. Something like metal feet touching the ground. The he heard Ken voice coming from one of the hanger. “That's good. Right step,' he walked out backwards leading the robot O'Hara and her crew were working on when they arrived. It was still missing an arm but it was staggering after Ken. “Good, good. Left step, Right. Left,” the robot started to lift up it's right foot again. “Left. No left. I said left. Your other left.” Then the robot complied with what it was being told. “Good, now right.”

“Scott!”, Hawk barked.

He jumped and quickly stood at attention. But the robot kept going forward and ran into him. “Whoa, Windam stop.” When the robot complied he went back at attention, but with a nervous smile on his face.

Walking toward him Hawk just stared him down. “Scott,” he said evenly, “what exactly do you think you're doing?”

“Well.. they.. uh...,” he began, “Dr. Greenberg said if I could fix him I could keep him. I technically already fixed him...” and he was quickly losing any confidence in his reasoning the more Hawk stared at him.

Jess spoke up in Ken's defense, “Dr. Greenberg did say that sir. Even sighed off on it.”

“Even if that was true,' Hawk said as he took a datapad off of one of the supply crates being loaded onto the Alpha One. “I am not seeing a listing for THX-U7 on the supply manifest.”

“Um Captain,” Jess went as she scrolled the inventory list up and highlighted one item under W. Windam. He shot her a cool glance. She tried to give him her most innocent looking smile. It wasn't working.

Giving a once over to the beaten up robot he looked back at her. “If that thing blows up and takes out half of Castle it's on you.” Then he left to supervise the supply loading for the Alpha One. He looked back at Ken and the robot. “Whatever it takes I suppose. I just hate being left out of the loop in my own command.”

In the mean time Jess was giving a worried look at Windam. “He's not going to explode and take out the base, is he?”

Ken gave her a long drawn out, “Noooo,” before stopping and giving the robot a more critical eye. “I don't think.” Jess hand reached out toward him suddenly. He flinched a bit thinking she was going to hit him. Then he realized her hand went past his head. Then he saw it clinching Dr,William's wrist. More importantly the hypo gun in his hand.

She took it from him saying, “Doctor, what did we say about injecting people without their knowledge?” He mumbled something and quickly walked away. She handed it to Ken, “Here.”

He took it with a bit of apprehension remembering what it felt like last time. “Better get this over with. Maybe it won't hurt as bad since I know it's coming.” Holding against his neck Ken took a couple of breaths before pulling the trigger. “Mother...!” he pulled it away and grabbed his neck with his free hand. “No still hurts as bad.” Looking at the gun for a bit he handed it back to her, “Just for the record that's not going to get me in the air on a regular basis.”

“Didn't think it was,” she said. “Come on let's find a place to secure Windam.”

“Already got a couple spot in mind if they haven't already been taken,” Ken told her. “Windam, follow us.” After a bit of a staggering start the three headed for the Alpha One. Ken sort of glanced over at Jessica out of the corner of his eye, thinking about that offer to listen to anything he had to say. He briefly wondered if maybe it was time to tell somebody his secret. But then again he wondered what would Richardson do if he ever found out somebody else knew. And he didn't want to ruin her career because he got tired about lying to all of them.

Something in this situation was going to break sooner or latter. It was just going to be a question on how bad the fall out was going to be when it did.

-----
ED – Shinedown – Fly From the Inside

S

scikaiju

Again sorry for the wait, like I said in my Rook fic I had a medical issue, but I'm better now.

Episode 25

OP – Mercy Drive – Burn in My Light

Walking into one of Castle's labs Jess looked around until she saw it. And she still didn't believe it. Several people had told her that Ken and Bridge were working on Windam, the robot they brought back from Japan. But there they were huddled around a computer hooked up to the silver machine, A few of the scientist and Ryo and Bill, for some reason, behind them. Bill saw her first and called her over with a wave. Alright she'll believe that they were working together, but the idea that Ken initiaited this particular partnership? No, just no. That was too much to take in at once. Once part of the group she did ask, “So what are we doing exactly?”

Ryo answered her, “Ken thinks something's wrong with Windam's programming.

“Yeah, the genius couldn't figure it out,” Bill chimed in. Which caused Ken to hold up a particular finger. “Showing everybody your I.Q.?”

Ken shot back with, “Showing them my opinion of what your's is.” He stood straighter to stretch his back a bit and grunted while doing so. To her he said, “Windam's still confusing his left for his right every so often.” Jess nodded, remembering the robot doing that in Japan a couple of times. “I've gone over the wiring and plans more times than I can count. Whatever the problem is it's not mechanical.”

“Which is why Ken asked me to take a look at him when I had some free time,” Bridge chimed in. Upon hearing this Jess immediatley reached out and put a hand to Ken's forehead, who pulled back in in surprised looking at her.

“You ask for help from no one,” she told him. “You have to be sick or something.”

“Why do you think there's a crowd?”, Ryo said. Which got a chuckle or two out of the group.

Ken responded with a very annoyed sounding, “Or,” he paused to make sure everybody stopped finding the situation funny, “I deal with hardware and realize software is so out of my ballpark it's not even funny.”

“I hate it when he has a point,” Bill ended up saying.

“I still think he has a fever,” Jess said.

Waiting as the new round of giggling died down Ken bent back down to see the computer screen. “Anything?”

“Nothing yet,” Bridge told. The most of the crowd started to disperse seeing how the make fun of Ken segment of the evening seemed to be over leaving only her, Ken and Bridge. “There's a ton of code here. It's going to take me a little longer than the free time I have right now to figure it out.”

“No rush buddy,” Ken told him. “I didn't expect that this was going to be done by lunch. And let's be honest here, Windam's just a side project that Hawk's only tolerating at the moment.” While Jess was sure Hawk was more than just tolerating it since Ken was finally starting to believe he was a genius at these matters the whole side project bit was still true.

“Maybe you can contact Emiko and see if she has any ideas on where to look,” Jess offered.

Ken apparently tried to sweeten the idea by adding, “And you can talk to her again.”

“She helped with the programming, I don't want to accidentally insult her,” Bridge quickly said as he readjusted himself in his seat. Obviously a bit uncomfortable that his budding relationship was brought into this.

“Come on man,” Ken said sitting on a crate next to him. “There's gotta be a way to ask her without insulting her.” Her looked over at her for a little help.

“Of course there is,” Jess told him. “Maybe you could explain the problem and ask if she had any ideas what might be wrong

“Just don't mention you been studying her UNDF profile in your spare time,” it was obvious to Jess at least that Ken meant it as a joke. A bad one, but a joke none the less. However Bridge's reaction, in how embarrassed he started looking made the two of them look at each other in surprise. Slowly Ken looked back at Bridge for a bit before saying, “You didn't.”

”Bridge,”Jess muttered as she buried her face in her hands and sat on a nearby chair.

“I was just making sure she wasn't already in a relationship,” he tried to defend himself. Then added while looking away, “And make sure it wasn't changed recently, And checked for any traps to show her that anybody was looking at it.”

“I was almost with you until that last bit,” Jess told him.

“Yeah man,” Ken joined in. “Ask her, I was like you back in the day, and even I never went that far.”

Jess looked unconvinced, “You didn't?”

“No I didn't,” he insisted. “Even if I wanted to I would have asked one of your friends and you were the only one out of your group who'd give me the time of day. And if Emiko was already seeing somebody somebody would have said something before we left,” he told Bridge.

“So you thought about,” Jess kept it up,” in your pursuit of me.”

“You came after me,” he reminded her. Both of them started grinning at each other despite Bridge's still obvious discomfort over the situation. “Look Bridge what we're trying to say is you're going a little too far,” she nodded in agreement.

“If you have too tell her it was Ken's idea”, she added. He shot her a look, then he just shrugged his shoulders a bit

“If anything maybe Greenberg will stop bothering me to transfer over for a little while,” Ken said. “Hopefully.”

“Not after how hard he was trying to get Hawk to agree to it,” Jess told him.

A second after she said that Hawk walked over, looking around, “I thought there would be a bigger crowd for this.” Ken couldn't hide how annoyed that made him fast enough.

“You missed it by a few minutes,” Jess informed him.”

“They got tired of making fun of Ken,”Bridge added. Her and Hawk both enjoyed the joke.

Ken on the other hand,”A. She was the only one making fun of me, And B,” he slapped Bridge in the shoulder with the back of his hand,”What the hell man I thought we were buds.”

“Why do you think I didn't join in,” he answered. Here Jess started laughing a bit, at Ken's expression more than anything else. Hawk just walked away shaking his head,

S

scikaiju

Elsewhere in Castle a different meeting was taking place. One where Richardson was positive was designed to waste his time. Something he was believing more and more by the second. “So,” he said in hopes of speeding things up, “we actually wasted resources on this so called fortune teller....”

“Telepath,” one of the others quickly interjected. One who quickly started to shrink down in his chair, or at least tried to, under Richardson's glare.

He conceded the but but still spat out the word, “Telepath. Why exactly?”

Someone further down the table spoke up, “From your tone, I see you don't quite believe our claim. In a world where Giant creatures and Ultraman are a thing, why is this so unbelievable?”

Patricia, who was standing behind him, leaned down and whispered in in ear. This person was Albert Lunden, the head of this particular project. And the idea he was challenging him this way in front of the other board members present. Still better to answer him in the same forum, for appearances more than anything else.

“Because I can see Ultraman and these creatures,” he told Lunden. “They're something tangable. Not some overblown parlor trick to entertain the masses.”

If Lunden was insulted in anyway he was good enough to not show a hint of it. But he did smile, like a parent would when their child said something so stupid it was cute. “I assure you Mr. Richardson what Timothy is capable of is more than a mere parlor trick. He is the first real example of extra-sensory ability the world has ever seen.”

“We've heard that claim before,” one of the others said, followed by a round of the usual murmurs of agreement from the others gathered.

“Granted,” Lunden responded, finally showing a hint of annoyance, “There have been those who have been extremely well trained at reading others and appear as if they're reading someone's mind. Those particular charlatan are worthy of this skepticism. But Timothy is capable of reading a person's thoughts. I have supplied documentation to prove this.”

“Yes,” Richardson drolled as he flipped through the file in front of him. “Seeing how you and your sector has provided proof of this before hopefully you can understand some of the doubt that we may harbor.”

“Of course,” Lunden said, suddenly looking very pleased with himself. “I'm sure you'll be quite satisfied with the results I provided the board.” Richardson sat there and gave a dismissive snort to that particular claim. Everyone else just read on silently. Trying to look like they at least understood the information in front of them. Then Richardson stopped flipping through when something in particular caught his attention. “Something wrong Mr. Richardson?”, Lunden asked innocently enough.

He didn't respond out loud. He felt everyyone at the table looking at him and a vein pulsating on the side of his temple. On the page in front of him was a rather crude looking drawing of a group of people in some sort of wooded area. A creature of some sort, although it vaguely looked like the first one that appeared, was in the background. But the one thing that caught his attention, and ire, was some sort of beam coming from the wooded area and enveloping one of the figures there. A line connected the drawing to a single name, Joseph. Below it was a single line of text that said 'How it really happened.' Richardson tore his eyes off it long enough to glare at Lunden who sat there waiting. Looking back at Patricia who seemed taken a back as well, he forced himself to calm down enough to close the file and set it down and say, “No, nothing wrong at all. Let's cut to the chase here Mr. Lunden, why are you here exactly?”

“I just want to prove Timothy can do what I claim he can do.”

“Let's say that he does prove that he can read other people's mind,” Richardson said, not taking his eyes off of the man, “then what?”

“Believe it or not, he wants to help,” Lunden told him and the other, “He's positive he can locate Brooks.”

“That's it?”, Richardson said in disbelief.

“Why hasn't he done it already?”, another person asked.

“While I wasn't here when it happened,” he began, “word did get down to us that Brooks had some spectacular abilities of his own that he used in his escape. Nobody is quite sure of the extent of these abilities Timothy is afraid Brooks might be able to track him down if he did so. He wants me to ask you for protection in case that happens.”

Richardson leaned back in his chair and said, “If word about the incident reached you, I'm sure you also heard he pretty much wiped the floor with us on the way out. I'm not sure how much protection we would be able to provide.”

“He's not asking for a fire fight,” Lunden said sounding a bit desperate. Taking a moment to regain control he continued, “ But if he's here when it happen maybe Brooks would think twice about attacking.”

“Or,” yet another person spoke up, “he could summon another giant creature to attack this base.” Richardson nodded in agreement along with a few other. They were still repairing parts of Castle from that incident.

Still he said, “Seeing how we've been paying for this project we might as well see if it's been a waste of money and time or not. If this Timothy can do as Lunden claim then we'll go from there. Would that be satisfactory to you Mr. Lunden?”

“Perfectly,” he said, although to Richardson and a couple of others he looked relieved to have gotten the answer.

“We'll hash out the details later,”Richardson told the rest of the room, “schedules, ground rules for the telepath, but for now let's adjourn this meeting for now and get back to some actual work.” The group started to rise when he added,”Mr. Lunden if I could have a moment of your time before you go?”

“Of course Mr, Richardson,” he said and sat back down. Both of them waited until the others left the room. Patricia kept her position behind Richardson, although she positioned her arms so she would have an easier time going for her weapon if the need arose.A notion that wasn't lost on Lunden as he put his hands on the table and kept as still as possible. “Is there an issue?”

Before answering he reopened the file in front of him and located the crude artwork that he slapped on the table between then. Barely keeping his rage under control he almost snarled, “Yes there is. You can tell me what this is suppose to be exactly.”

“Admittedly it's not the best rendition,” Lunden said as he leaned in to get a better look at it. “After seeing so much media of people doing something similar seeing someone do it in real life is almost disappointing. I mean it's borderline masterpieces in those movies.” Richardson slapped his hand on the table, which made Lunden jump a little. He tried to recover by adding, “Movie magic I suppose.”

Barely able to keep himself from exploding in rage Richardson said, “I mean what is the meaning of this? Is this some sort of sick joke? Using my son's death...”

“So it didn't happen that way?”, Lunden said in that obviously fake way. “Timothy was rather insistent that was how it actually happened. Usually he not wrong about what he sees, able to tell the difference between what actually happened and what was a made up lie and all.”

“He invaded my mind?!”, Richardson shouted at him.

Lunden responded calmly, “No he didn't. This image didn't even come from you. It was from her,” he gestured toward Patricia who looked surprised. “I believe the topic of his death came up and you thought about it. I fear I may have given you the wrong idea of Timothy abilities. While he can actively read someone's mind he has an easier time of things if the other person is willing. Mostly he hears random thoughts, it's similar to walking into a crowded room with everyone talking at once. He can get get snippets of a 'conversation' her and there, but if you concentrate you can pick up exactly what's being said by a certain party. He's the same way with his abilities.”

Reaching over he pushed the image back toward Richardson. “Think of it as a show of good faith,” he said sitting back in the chair. “As for that image itself, well I did need something to get your attention. He could have grabbed something from someone else present, but it needed to be convincing. Not something somebody could claim I hired a detective to uncover. Now, while I'm curious about the actual going ons in that image I won't press for information, again as a show of good faith.”

“How magnanimous of you,” Richardson without sounding impressed. “How do I know you or he won't release what happened to the public after he's done here?”

“Because that would expose Timothy and his abilities to the general public,” Lunden explained. “And he's rather gun shy about revealing them. Particularly to an audience, he had a rather bad experience with a group of kids when he was younger when he showed off what he could do, as children tend to do. No, after that he rather reluctant to display them in any capacity. If his parents didn't bring him to our attention I doubt we would have known of his abilities to begin with. But since we're here I suppose now is a good as time as any to hash out some of those restrictions.”

Taking the picture Richardson handed it back to Patricia who quickly folded it up and placed it into an interior pocket of her jacket. Finally taking his eyes off Lunden he agreed with the previous statement, “Yes it would be.” Especially since he didn't need anyone else to know that he knew who Ultraman was and that he's been here at Castle all along.

S

scikaiju

Hours later Lunden had returned to the building they were using to conduct his department's test on extra sensory abilities. On the outside it looked like a regular office building, and for all intents and purposes it was. Several different UNDF departments had offices here instead of a base like Castle. Particularly those who didn't want the board hovering over their shoulders. Considering what they did Lunden was surprised they decided to take root here as well.

Going up to to the main desk in the lobby he was greeted by the security guard manning it. “Good afternoon Mr. Lunden, did the meeting at Castle go well?”

“Yes it did Frank,” he responded. Pulling out an ID card he swiped it in the card reader on the desk. Getting the green light he placed his briefcase on the conveyor belt and walk through the detector. Adding, “I was able to get them to agree to see Timothy.”

“A small miracle there,” the guard commented as he opened and did a quick scan of the briefcase and moved it through. “Everything looks clean sir.”

“Good,” Lunden commented as he retrieved the case, “I would hate to think I was trying to spy on my own company.” Frank gave a courtrsy laugh to the joke and waved him on. Maybe a bit much but again considering what they were doing, a necesssary security step. To rest the mind of the others who inhabit the building if nothing else.

Greeting a few others as he made his way to a row of elevators on the back wall. The one he was headed toward didn't have the usual call buttons. Instead it had a sensor the he held his ID to it. After a moment the door opened revealing a standard looking elevator, but with no floor buttons. This particular elevator only went to one floor and was the only one in the building that did so. And only he and a select few others in the building had access to it.

A short ride later Lunden reached the floor and exited to a regular looking hallway. Greeting a few more people he passed he made his way to the only occupied room, well on a semi permanent basis. Sitting in a chair was a young man in his late teens staring out into space. Lunden gave him a warm smile as he entered the room, which looked like part bedroom and part lab. “I'm back Timothy.”

“I see,” was all he said in a bored way. “Richardson agreed to the deal,” it obviously wasn't a question.

“I guess it was on my mind when I came in,” he said.

“It was blasting on loud,” he replied. “You're usually better at shielding your thoughts.”

“Just means I'm esctatic in the outcome,” was his response.

“And that picture I drew that's suddenly missing from my collection had nothing to do with it,” he pointed to several drawings covering the desk. “You said nobody would see them.”

“I know,” he responded as he pulled another chair closer to the desk, “and I'm sorry. But someone like Richardson is going to need hard proof before he agrees to anything.”

“I'm not getting it back am I?', he looked despondent at the thought.

“No, I'm afraid not.” He put a careful hand on his shoulder. Timothy was wary of any sort of physical contact, considering it hieghtened the strength of any signal or stray thought he could pick up. Lunden tended to do it to enforce the trust the boy had in him. Knowingly opening himself up to his abilities. “As you could imagine he doesn't want the truth of that particular matter known publicly.”

“And the restriction we guessed he would demand on?”, he asked, both knowing he could look for them personally if he wanted to.

“Pretty much what we expected, he was rather insistent that you don'tread any of the minds there.”

“How are they going to stop me if I decide to do that?”, he asked with a wicked grin.

“Timothy,” Lunden admonished him.

“Joking, only joking,” he quickly backed off. “I learned my lesson a long time ago.”

“I know you have Timothy,” Lunden told him. “It was a horrible way to learn anything. I'm just happy you trusted me enough to show me what you can do. And I don't want anything to happen to break that trust. But I can't stress enough how important this is. It's not about me, but proving that you actually have these abilities, and that there could be more people out there like you. People we can help learn how to use those abilities.”

“I know,” the younger man said while looking away, “I'm sure they be worried about being turned into living weapons.” And it was a fear he had as well, as Lunden knew as well.

All he could tell him was, “I won't let that happen Timothy, not as long as I'm in charge of the project.“

“I know, “ was all he said in return. “When do I head over?”

“In a couple of days,” Lunden said. “It's going to take that long for them to get things set up, even with our help. So try to relax until then.” Rising from the chair he asked, “Do you want me to have anything up here? Some more art supplies?”

“No, I'm good for now, Thank you.” Lunden patted him on the shoulder as he left the room. Once he was gone Timothy looked back at the door before going through all the papers on the desk, uncovering one he was trying to keep hidden, even from Lunden. Which he felt guilty about as Lunden was genuinely trying to be kind and understanding. But he felt he couldn't show this to anyone, because it would be bad for someone he just wasn't sure who as he lost this particular thought almost as soon as he tuned into it when Lunden asked him to look over the base to find something Richardson couldn't ignore. “Well he didn't say I couldn't try and contact him.” He looked at a drawing of somebody with Ultraman's head wearing a UNDF uniform.

S

scikaiju

After a few days of excitement as the higher ups were getting the base prepared for some sort of test, a small group hovered around one of the parking lots that was under the base itself.On one of the upper levers members of Alpha and Beta teams hovered around in groups looking over the railing, not a whole lot to make this an official show. But just enough for someone to be comfortable,maybe. On one particular side Ken, Ryo, Jess and Bill stood around, in fact most of the groupings were members of the same team, just looking around at each. Ken leaned on the railing and asked, “Anybody have any idea who this is suppose to be for.”

“No clue man,” Ryo answered him. “All I heard was the higher up is considering this a very special V.I.P., with an emphasis on the V.!.”

“So where are Hawk and Reid then?”,Bill asked, as he looked over the small crowd standing around. “Somebody this important usually has all the big wigs out in force. At least someone making sure the rest of us is following protocol. But I'm not seeing anybody.”

Jess added while looking around herself, “I'm not seeing anyone higher in rank than us at the moment.” She looked over at her usual wingman, “You hear anything Ryo?”

“Nothing official,” he answered, while crossing his arms. “But the grapevine has it that nobody in a command position isn't allowed to be here when the guest arrives, so no Hawk, no Reid and nobody from the board is supposed to be here. I'm surprised they're letting us hand around waiting.”

“It might have something to do with these apparent test that's suppose to happen,” Jess speculated. “Ken,” she said looking at him, “You got pulled into the building of whatever it is. You have any idea what these tests are suppose to be for?”

“You're suppose to be able to figure out how something works by looking at it,” Ryo added. One of his talents due to his genious nature apparently ran the grapevine pretty fast since Japan. “”You had to be able to take a guess at some point.”

“You holding out on us civilian?”, Bill chimed in. “For shame.”

“You want me to shot him?”, Jess asked.

“I'm considering it,” Ken answered. Bill didn't start looking worried until Ryo took a couple of steps away from him. “But outside of a power converter or a transformer that went on the fritz I didn't get a good look at anything.” He sighed, “Would it sound paranoid if I said it was like they were trying to keep me away from getting a look at it?”

“Yes,” Jess told him almost immediately. “But the way things have been going since this started,” she shook her head slightly, “I wouldn't be surprised. The level of secrecy going on is insane.”

“No kidding,” Bill quickly agreed, “Things weren't this tight when Brooks showed his true colors.”

“Or when Jamira originally went missing,” Ryo added. Ken remained quiet. Mostly due to some guilt popping up at the mention of Jamira. On one hand it was a bit weird seeing how much of an ass he was to Ken when he was part of the organization, however if he figured out that Brooks was the one behind this maybe he could have stopped him from becoming that giant creature that Dax had to destroy. Maybe, possibly, although more than likely he still would have been an ass though.

He broke out of his thoughts when he caught Jess looking at him, “What?”

“I was about to ask you the same thing,” she told him.

“Nothing, just.... just lost in thought,” he ended up saying.

She got a little closer and said just loud enough for him to hear her, “That offer to listen to anything on you mind is still open.”

“I know, you'll be the first to know if I do,” he attempted a smile but it didn't last long. She looked at him, before turning to to say something to Bill and Ryo. He looked at her, oh there was something he wanted to share with her, in fact she might be the only one here who wouldn't freak out that much hearing that he was part of Ultraman, possibly, maybe, he hoped. Damn it he needed somebody in this organization to know that wasn't Richardson, his bodyguard and the doc. Just for his own sanity if nothing else. And he might have then and there if Ryo and Bill, a few others weren't within earshot. While he was pretty sure Ryo and Bill wouldn't run off and tell Richardson he wasn't as sure about the others.

“Car's coming in!”, somebody announced. Everyone got into a better position to greet this V.I.P. While it wasn't a limo like most of those present expected, but it was on the expensive looking side. The driver side door opened and a guy who looked like he should have been part of the board got out. He looked around and the group before leaning down and saying something to somebody that was still inside.The the passenger side door open and some kid slowly got out. He looked nervous even from where they were standing. He looked around the looked at the upper level, almost right in their direction. In fact Ken had a weird feeling he was looking directly at him. A feeling the intensified as he waved at him.

Not knowing what else to do Ken glanced at the others before slowly raising his hand to return the wave, Although he stopped when he noticed that he was the only one doing so. “Just being friendly,” he said to everybody staring at him. Ken wasn't sure about anybody else but he was going to put that down to his civilian lack of proper protocol.

Fortunately his communicator went off, and he hit it eagerly, “Scott here.”

Bridge started talking over the line, “Ken I thought you should know that you're late for your latest session with the engineering test.” The infamous test that couldn't be beat although he'd been swearing almost since he arrived that he was close to figuring it out. But something wasn't right here.

“I had a session?”, he asked. “Since when?”

“Since about five minutes ago from the look of things,” Bridge told him. The Chief said it just popped up on his schedule.”

“Not that I'm complaining about another chance at beating the thing,” Jess, Ryo and Bill exchanged smirks that he promptly ignored, “but could you find out who authorized this at the last minute.”

“Sure thing Ken,” Bridge told. “I'll look into it and let you know once the test beats you again.”

Bridge signed off before he could respond. “Try to help a guy get out of his shell and he takes pot shots at you when you're not looking,” he ended up saying. Turning to the rest of them he said, “Well I'm not looking at a gift horse in the mouth so I better head down there.”

“We'll see you in a couple of minutes then, “Billl told him. Ken just shot him a dirty look before heading to the door. If today ended up being the day he'd shut everybody up for a while/ Once in the hallway he looked up the engineering section schedule and then at his messages. There it was, his scheduled time for the test program, but no notification that he was scheduled the time. It wasn't like the chief to not let him know it was there. Again he couldn't shake the feeling somebody was trying to distract him from getting too close to whatever was going on.

S

scikaiju

“Is civilian okay?”, Bill asked after Ken had exited the room. “I mean I can't be the only one to think he seems down about something.”

Ryo just nodded,” No, I've seen it too. The only thing I can figure what's causing it is that his brother's trail is coming up soon. After what happened that's got to be weighing down on him.”

“Makes sense,” Jess said while her mind was elsewhere at that moment.

“Is he going to be there?”, Bill asked. Jess just shook her head in response. “Not even supporting his own brother,” Bill said in disbelief. “Granted I've only met him that one time and he seemed a like a bit of a jerk. But still.”

Ryo spoke up, “No offence Bill but if I found out my brother was hitting his wife I'd distant myself from him too. Either way I think at least Janet's happy he's not picking a side, at least not publicly. What do you think Jess?”

She was still lost in her own thoughts so Ryo asking her opinion took her off guard a bit, but she quickly recovered. “I think he's still trying to wrap his head around what happened. Admittedly his brother is a jerk, but even I was surprised when Ken told me what happened.”

Bill nodded,” Guess we just have to be there for him if he wants a shoulder or something.”

Yeah,” she said, not mentioning that was something she told herself for the longest time. And didn't mention that it didn't happen, like it wasn't happening now. Maybe she should tell him instead, let him know he had at least her watching his back. Despite the offer to listen to anything he wanted to say, personal experience told her to not hold her breath.

Ken walked the hallway with his head down. Mainly to avoid any eye contact in case some one crossed his path.While things were much better than when he first joined up right now he wasn't in a talking mood, and hoping this particular stance would inform anybody who came down this particular path. That was the plan anyway.

<Hello.>

Ken looked up when he heard the voice, it wasn't one he immediately recognized, but then again he hasn't had an extensive conversation with everyone who was stationed here to recognize more than a select few. But there was nobody that he could see. “Who...?”, he asked to himself. There were no doorways in the immediate area that he could see, or any intersections or corners somebody could hide behind. Ken went so far to make sure nobody was trying to play a joke through his communicator.

<How are you?>, came another question from thin air apparently.

“How are you doing that?” Ken asked out loud after checking a wall for a hidden speaker, being completely stumped on how this was being done.

Then he heard another voice, one he was more than familiar with respond, “I am fine, how are you?”

“Dax?”, Ken asked slowly as he stopped looking for this mystery person. “What's going on?”

His usually giant friend replied with, “Some one is communicating with me.”

<Whoa, I didn't know there'd be two of you,>

“Okay how is that possible?”, he asked making sure no one was coming. Just talking to Daxium he was well aware that it looked like he was talking to himself. He didn't need those rumors to fly around base. “And how does this guy even know you're in here?”, he rapped his own head.

<Sorry,> the voice said. <My names's Timothy. You waved back to me in the garage a few minutes ago.> Okay he had a name and face to go with the voice. Still doesn't explain what the hell is going on.

Dax responded first, “It's nice to meet you Timothy, my name is Daxium.”

“If we're done with the pleasantries,” Ken cut in, losing his patience with the situation, “But could one of you tell me what the hell is going on.”

<Looks like nobody told you why I'm here,> Timothy said. <I should have been ready for that. I mean Richardson had a ton of restriction put in place before I even came here.>

“Richardson,” Ken groaned. “Why am I not that surprised? Alright Timothy, would you please tell me what's going on, because I'm freaking the **** out a little here.”

<Yeah this has that effect if you're not expecting it.> Not even sure if Timothy could see him Ken started moving his hands in a circular hurry up and tell me motion. <I'm projecting my thoughts into your head. I'm what you would call a telepath.>

He could sense Daxium's slight confusion, “I am not familiar with that term.”

“It means he can read minds Dax,” Ken answered him. Then he fully realized what they were talking about, “Wait a sec, you're in my mind?” Now he doing more than freaking the **** out a little, it was borderline full pledge panic at this point.

“Actually,” Dax spoke up, “I think he's more in my mind than yours Ken. Otherwise I doubt I'd be able to hear him otherwise.”

“But he could hear you through our connection? Then how am I hearing him?”, Ken asked trying to figure this out. Daxium agreed with his theory although he didn't have an answer for his second question. And if he had to be honest, all of this was starting to make his head hurt, and he still had to do the simulator. ****, he nearly forgot about and hurried on his way, still there were questions, “Timothy, how did you know about Dax?”

<I'm a little embarrassed about this,> he answered, <I was asked to scan Castle to find something Richardson couldn't ignore. I felt some sort of Alien mind, but didn't get a lock on it. I just got enough to realize it was Ultraman, and that he was part of the UNDF. Don't worry, I haven't told anyone about either of you so your secret is safe.> Ken snorted, if only that was true. <So is it okay if I talk with you for a bit? I always wanted to talk with somebody not from this planet.>

“Whoa, wait a moment,” Ken butted in, “Do I get a say in this because I have something to do and I don't need the distraction.” While he had no idea about this Timothy character he could feel the disappointment coming from Daxium. Enough that Ken paused in his step and looked around, Yes he talked to Daxium when he could and was alone, but even his giant buddy was probably starving for some sort of communication from somebody else. “Look if you two can keep it quiet then go ahead.”

<I think I can manage that,> Timothy eagerly agreed.

“As can I,” Dax said. “Perhaps we can figure out how you can hear our conversation in the meantime.”

“Just as long as it's quiet,” Ken empathized the quiet part as he reached the simulator room. Going in he saw the chief waiting impatiently. “Sorry, this was sprung on me too. I didn't even know I was scheduled until Bridge said I was late.”

S

scikaiju

Back at the building Timothy had been calling home Lunden had called in and was talking to somebody in upper management who was currently writing down what he was saying. “So the test are proceeding on schedule then, good, good. Everyone will be glad to hear that. So when will be Timothy be given the okay to start looking for Brooks?” He listened for a beat or two, still taking notes. “Makes sense that they want to verify the results by retesting him. So you think sometime in the next couple of days? Okay I'll tell them. I have to be honest, it's going feel a little empty around here once Timothy gets sheltered over there. Oh, he's going to want some stuff room his room? Maybe he better come back here to pick them out himself. I have a boy around his age and he hates it when either June or I mess with his things in his room.” He laughed a bit, “You too? Okay let me know when you're on your way back. We'll see the two of you then.” Being an older style phone he put it back on the stand to hang up the call.

Leaning back in his chair he pulled out his phone, mainly because he didn't want this particular call he was about to make logged in the system, for the main reason why he had been limiting his contact with Timothy. Brooks had things on him even before the kid became part of the program. And Brooks was revealed to have freakish abilities of his own. He thought he was in the clear once that happened. But no, he showed up right before he was supposed to meet with his mistress just to prove he was still under his thumb and remind him how much he would actually lose if the affair was exposed, among other things Brooks found out about somehow.

However he did promise he would let him off the hook if he gave him something that was worth more than the information the man had on him. And he was intrigued behind the idea of Timothy abilities, but not enough to keep his promise, at least not yet. But maybe now this bit of news would be enough. Dailing the newest number Brooks had given him, which he changed at least once a month. It went to voice mail, at least he could put off talking to the man for a bit, “I think I may have something that will interest you.

The test had went rather smoothly, or at least that's what Timothy told Daxium during those times they could talk in relative peace. They even figured out that the kid somehow tapped into their connection somehow, and his mind like Daxium originally thought. Ken was sure it was all rather interesting if he understood what they were talking about. It was a bit out of his league, but he tried to at least sound interested when Dax told him.

Which was becoming a bigger problem then he wanted to admit. Even working on Windam wasn't exactly bringing him the joy Ken thought it should have, it did at first back in Japan but once they got back to Castle it just wasn't the same some how and it wasn't just not being able to figure out when Windam occasionlly mixed up his left with his right wasn't helping. No it was still this entire damn situation he was under, god there were day he just want to scream his secret out and let the chips fall where they did, **** Richardson, his bodyguard and the doc to a lesser degree. But then again some of the fall out would be worse on someone like Janet and Nicole than on him. Even coming up here to the relative quiet of the roof of Castle didn't too that much to lift the weight he was feeling.

Those thoughts were interrupted when he heard the door behind him open. Looking back he saw Hawk walk out and offer a friendly wave. He returned half heartedly before returning his gaze to the dessert. Without any preamble Hawk stood next to him and gazes out at the distance along with him while leaning against the railing. After a bit he said, “Not much to see, is there?” Ken just shrugged and kept on looking at the horizon. “I have to be honest son, I was a little surprised when I found out you spent time up here.” He looked down at the ground, “Considering your problem and all.”

“I never had an issue with heights,” Ken informed him. They both looked up as a pair of Razor Wings passed over head. “It's the moving in said height that makes my stomach want to revolt.”

“My mistake then,” Hawk told him. “Look son, you don't have to say anything, but we can all tell something is bothering you.” Ken started to protest but Hawk quickly put a stop to it. “Jess, Ryo and Bill have all come to me and said something. Even the chief, and we both know he doesn't say anything about personal unless he think it's really important. You do know any one of us would listen if you had something to get off your chest. At least I hope you do.”

“I know you guys would,”Ken told him. “It's just...,” it would be so easy just to say he was Ultraman and get it over with. But again Richardson would find out eventually. So he stopped talking.

Luckily Hawk didn't press the issue. After another moment or so he said, “Granted I'm no expert on the subject, but looks like you're suffering from a case of burn out to me. I took the liberty to check before I went searching for you, but outside of you're niece's birthday you haven't taken any personal time to get away from here.”

This time he did protest, “I've had time off. You made me take it after I broke my arm.”

Funny,” he smirked, “you have the same expression that you did when you told me you still have a good arm in order to get out of it,” Ken looked away, embarrassed. “And seeing how you kept showing up when a monster started attacking I wouldn't really call it an effective vacation in the long run.” He looked at the horizon and sighed, “Maybe you think you have to work twice as hard because of your situation, and I've been more than impressed in your dedication to the job. Most people may have seen it as a free ride, thinking the board would protect you from any repercussion. If I had to be honest I more than half way expected you to take that route when I found out they approved the civilian operative position and that they picked you. And I have never been happier to be proven wrong in my life. But listen to me son I don't want you to kill yourself thinking you have to prove yourself. You've more than proved that you belong. Otherwise I wouldn't be going to bat for you to make an actual member of this unit.”

“That final five percent a little harder to crack than you thought?”, he offered Hawk a smile that the older man returned.

“I didn't think it was going to be a cake walk,” he admitted. “But I'm still fighting. I'm not going to lose you on a whim of the board. We put in too much work at this point for them to throw it all the way.” Reaching into a pocket he pulled out a slip of paper and handed it to him, “Here, it's a three day pass.”

“Captain,” Ken began.

“We're not going to throw all that work away because you're stubborn either,” Hawk told him. “Take the time off, relax, unwind. Do whatever you do for fun, just come back recharged and ready for anything that drops. And I better not hear you showed up if there's a monster attack either.”

“Then one better not show up where I am then,” he joked as he took the pass. Maybe that was what he needed, a small chance to get away from underneath Richardson for a couple of day. Hopefully Brooks will play along without knowing it. And maybe he'd be elected President before the week was over. If a creature did show up he'd just have to be better at not being seen by the others this time around.

S

scikaiju

The tests completed Lunden was driving them back to the building. Timothy was all for getting some of his thing personally. In fact he looked more excited now than he did a couple of days ago. “You don't feel any after effects do you?” he asked the teen.

“I'm fine,” he answered. Trying to hide his annoyance but Lunden knew it was there. “I'm just happy the testing part is over.”

“And you made fools of their experts too,” he said, beaming like a proud parent. He look at his rear view mirror at the Scan Track escort driving behind them. “At least Richardson proving to be true to his word so far.”

“So far,” he repeated. But there was something in the way he said it that caught Lunden's attention.

“You didn't read him did you?”

“No, Timothy told him, almost insulted that he'd ask that knowing he wasn't supposed to. “I did pick up he occasional thought here and there though,” he continued. Suddenly he loooked defensive, “I can't turn it off you know.”

“I know Timothy, I know,” he tried to assure him. “So what did you pick up?”

“Outside that's he's not really well like among most of the troops and personel.”

“Well that's only natural I suppose, being in charge and all,” Lunden commented.

“And when I got that image from his secretary she seemed upset that he didn't even react when his son died. Or at least not for long anyway.”

“I can understand that she feel that way,” Lunden told him, “But there are certain things going on..”

“He didn't even mourn for his son!”, Timothy said in a rare outburst. “Even she was disgusted that he went back to work like it was a regular day.”

“We all mourn in our own way,”he said. “I'm sure that was just his way of coping with what happened. Timothy you can't really judge a person by one singular act.”

“But,” he began. Then he got a weird look on his face, something Lunden has never seen before. It was almost fear as he looked up at the roof of the car. “We have to turn back.”

“Timothy?”, Lunden asked looking concerned at this change of behavior. The the road in front of him exploded. He barely reacted in time to avoid the gaping hole in the road and stop the car. Behind them the Scan Track driver behind them reacted faster and came to a complete stop before reaching the same spot. Two of the UNDF troops jumped out of the vehicle and ran toward them. The third stayed in the Scan Track but he sat at the gunner station getting the weapons warmed up and into play.

While one of them had his gun out looking all around for whomever just attack the other headed for Lunden's side of the car, “Are both of you all right?”

“I'm fine,” he answered. “Timothy? Timothy?,” he started to panic when there wasn't a response. He started shaking him trying to get him to respond, “Timothy!”” His head wobbled around as he did so making Lunden even more afraid for him.

“Sir,” the trooper said trying to pull him back and try to get a reading on his wrist scanner at the same time. “I'm getting vitals, they're steady. It looks like he's just unconscious.” He relaxed a bit upon hearing that, but not by much. “Let's get you out of here then we can get him out next.”

Before he could answer the Scan Track exploded behind them. “****!”, the other Trooper cursed as they all ducked in response. Both troopers looked around with there weapon's drawn, “Where the hell did that come from?” Then he remembered, before it happened, timothy looked up. He tried to position himself to see what he sensed. Glowing with some sort of energy Brooks hovered in the air, looking like some sort of angry god or a devil. The trooper beside him saw where he was looking and did the same and saw Brooks. Immediately he pointed his weapon at him, Brooks shot a beam that turned the man into a charred skeleton on impact. It happened so fast Lunden didn't have the chance to scream at the sight next to him.

“Castle Brooks is here!”, the other one called out while his teammate died. He got his weapon pointed at Brooks and got off a few shots that bounced off the energy field surrounding the man before he suffered the same fate.

Lowering to the ground Brooks never took his eyes of of the car. Once he set foot on the ground he finally looked away at the remains of the two troopers. “I have to figure out why I stop at the skeletons one of these days,” he said. “It's so unsightly.” He blasted the skeleton again, causing it to disintigrate in seconds. Looking strangely satisfied he commented, “That's better.” Lunden put an arm across Timothy as he came closer, and then passed them to do the same thing to the other one. The he stood where the first one then looked at the fiery remains of the Scan Track, “Guess I won't have to do anything extra there now will I?”, he asked with a pleasant smile, in a way it made the gesture look even sicker. Leaning over a bit to get a better look at the occupants he went, “I'm guess the sleeping young man is the Timothy I heard about?”

“No!”, Lunden tried to undo his buckle and cover Timothy at the same time. Brook looked amused at his struggled. Then Brooks opened the passenger side door then reached in to undo Timothy's seat belt. “Leave him alone!” Brooks responded by raising a hand that started glowing like he did before. Then he held up a single finger, “Shh, you might wake him.” He removed Timothy and held him in his arms, “Don't worry he's in good hands. And I took care of your little leak for you. You should really do better background checks than you have been from the look of things. Or at least keep a better eye on those under you. You never know who's been watching,” He gave him a wink then took a few steps back.. “The cavalry should be here shortly to assist you since they already know I was here.” He started glowing again and shot off into the sky.

“Bring him back!, Lunden shouted after him. Timothy!