The Resurgence of Isekai: Are We Overdoing It?

Justin J

Active Member
I know the isekai genre has become a staple in anime and light novels, but I'm starting to feel like we've hit a saturation point. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good fantasy world as much as the next person (looking at you, "Re:Zero" and "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime"), but how many versions of the "average dude becomes a hero" narrative can we handle?

Some recent titles seem to blend together in my mind, same tropes, recycled plot devices. The concept of escape into another world is appealing, but I can't help but wonder if the originality is being compromised. Plus, it’s often the same character archetypes in different skins.

What do you all think? Are there still fresh takes on the isekai concept out there, or is it time to seek out something new? Have you found gems hidden among the typical fare? Let’s discuss!
 
Honestly I’m tired of it too but I can’t quit cold turkey. Every time a new one drops I tell myself “this might be the one” and then it’s the same truck-kun start and overpowered MC again. Slime was fun at first because Rimuru actually builds a nation and makes friends with everyone, not just collects girls. But yeah most feel the same now. I started reading older web novels instead, some of them actually try new stuff before the anime ruins it.
 
I still love isekai but only the weird ones. Normal hero stuff is dead to me. Give me the guy who becomes a vending machine or a house or a farmer who hates fighting. Those are the only ones that feel different anymore. The standard “I’m the strongest because I played the game before” plots all blur together. If they keep making the same thing I’ll just rewatch Konosuba and call it a day.
 
You’re not wrong. I remember when isekai felt exciting, like discovering a whole new world every time. Now it’s the same skeleton with different clothes. I still go back to Re:Zero because the pain feels real and the characters actually change. Most new ones though? I drop them after three episodes. The formula is too strong and nobody wants to risk changing it. Time for creators to try something actually new instead of safe cash grabs.
 
Been saying this for years. Isekai used to be my favorite but now it’s background noise. Same guy, same stats screen, same demon lord to beat. Even the art looks copied. I moved on to sci-fi and horror anime instead. Every once in a while a Slime or Re:Zero level story comes out and I get excited again, but most of the time I just roll my eyes and look for something original. The genre needs new blood bad.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top