The Flashback Interview: Barney Burman

The gentleman in the beret in this article’s cover photo is my newest interview subject, Barney Burman. Barney has been active as a makeup artist for almost four decades now. Coming from a family of makeup artists, Barney started as a teenager, and isn’t showing any signs of stopping. That’s fantastic as he’s a versatile designer who has worked on all sorts of amazing projects, most notably 2009’s Star Trek, which won him a Best Makeup And Hairstyling Oscar, which he shared with Mindy Hall, who’s next to him in the cover photo, and Joel Harlow.
A few weeks back, Barney was kind enough to agree to an interview with me. I hope you all enjoy getting to know more about this talented creator and his work.
BBIPIC8-Oscar-Win-250x300.jpg

Say hello to Barney Burman!
Johnny: Was working in film something you’d always wanted to do, or did you initially have a different career goal in mind growing up?
Barney: I always imagined myself...

Continue reading...

Blue Ranger Power
I am not usually familiar with Makeup artists, and they are not getting that much attention despite all the magic they do for us to make our eyes soak in fantasy. The Navi are CGI in Avatar, but Ben Stiller's Navi look can be done with a natural person. Practical effects are a dying art, and people like Barney keep it alive.

Wandavision
Fright Night traumatized me as a child because the makeup was so uncanny. That indicates he did a great job. I always want to try learning special effects makeup, but I can't even paint my face properly for a job interview.

Hey I just met you!
He have a very impressive resume with all that movies and shows he had worked with.

What does the Fox say?
Staff member
WOW! A teenager working IN the same building with Leonard Nimoy on a Star Trek movie?? I would have been happy to bring him coffee. LOL. Does he keep his SAG card in a frame? LOL.