New Pippi Longstocking movie in the works!

ryuuseipro

New Member
Director Debra Granik is at work on a new film adaptation of Astrid Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Debr...pi-Longstocking-Back-To-The-Movies-22556.html

I can hardly wait to see how they do this film! I hope it'll be closer to the original three books this time (especially when they adapt Pippi in the South Seas, which, sadly, never got a faithful adaptation). If it were up to me, I'd do a movie trilogy!

Pippi Longstocking is, hands down, my favorite superheroine. :buttrock:
 
Holy Cow. Pippi Longstocking?? I remember watching the horrible dubs of the Swedish movies when I was a kid. Sometimes raw, too, since my great-grandmother was Swedish. Only thing I didn't like was when my sisters would call me by her name because my hair was red. :laugh:
 

LOL!

Yeah, I was really psyched to hear this news!

My first exposure to Pippi Longstocking was the 1988 movie, which I like. (I watched it twice on cable in 2005 or so.) I didn't see it in theaters, but I saw it from the commercials, and liked it. Years later in the mid-90s, when I went to Suncoast, my big sister and I were looking through videos, and in the kids' section, we saw one of Pippi Longstocking, the US movie-edits of the TV series! My sister remembers watching those. Inger Nilsson was a very wild-looking Pippi!

Almost a year ago, I saw the 1988 movie on streaming Netflix, and it refueled my interest in the Scandinavian supergirl, so I bought and read all three books, which are great! The first, Pippi Longstocking, was a lot of fun, as was the second one, Pippi Goes on Board (which got very emotional in the last three chapters; I know it's silly, but I actually shed tears while reading it!), and the third one, Pippi in the South Seas, was really cool (Pippi, Tommy, and Annika got to go with Captain Longstocking to Kurrekurredutt Island, where he ruled as its king), and it had a great ending!

Soon, I saw the complete 13-episode Swedish TV series! Even if I barely understood Swedish, I knew what was going on from reading the books! There were some changes, but the series did an excellent job of following the first two books! This is rightly considered the best adaptation of Pippi ever made. The two movies that followed, Pippi in the South Seas and Pippi on the Run, are really good, too! The former has nothing to do with the book (in fact, even its original Swedish title was different!), but was a really fun movie anyway! And the latter (not based on any of the books; Astrid wrote it as a movie) is my favorite of the two.

Did you know that the late Stieg Larsson based his heroine Lisbeth Salander (from his "Millennium Trilogy") on Pippi?

With so many book series being adapted into movies these days (Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, etc.), I hope the new film turns out well!

Um.....yay?

What he said:sweat:

That's my same reaction. :sweat:

Hey, man, to each their own! But don't shoot the messenger...
 
:laugh: It's all good ryuu, I might not share your interest, but I respect them. atriotic:
 
I'd watch it if she teamed up with that Wendy's girl...



...it would be better than Forever Red!
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…