Great Decisive Battle! The Super 8 Ultra Brothers! Discussion

I just saw it today.

Holy GOD.

You know, the more and more it looked like a repeat of 2006's movie (which, while certainly fun, was hardly the best movie around), the more skeptical I grew. I am now extremely happy to report that it blew all my expectations out of the water and may even supplant THE NEXT as my favorite Ultra film (let's see how it ages first, though). Yagi's visual style is excellent and I loved that it had that "gravity" that I'm always talking about: the little touches of seriousness seen in the evacuations and hospital scenes, for example. "OMGDARKNUSSS" is not the answer to all our problems but those little bits and pieces there go a long way towards making a solid and believable story in this genre, even if the film is filled with something ridiculous like, say, giant freaking monsters.

This morning after I woke up, I decided to preview the first few minutes of it (the prologue in 1966) before I went to school. With that little taste I began to feel exactly like the little boys waiting to get home and watch the very first episode of Ultraman. My class couldn't end soon enough!

All-in-all it was a wholly satisfying experience. I watched the whole thing with a huge grin plastered across my face, only occasionally broken by a laugh or a gasp. To say that I can't wait to watch it again is this month's biggest understatement.

Forget The Dark Knight, Super 8 Ultra Brothers is where it's at!

I didn't think there was a proper discussion thread for this yet so here you go...
 
Yes i enjoyed the movie too, it 'effin rocked, i'm not a fan of CGI, but i liked this movies CGI i could have sworn it was a puppet. but the movie made me feel warm again, seeing my three all time fave ultra's (Tiga, Mebius,Seven) was a blast and the final battle was amazing, i hope someone subs it soon.


oh and use spoiler tags Reimon.
 
At last, I can talk about this friggin' movie!

I understand that I'm in a rather baised position with this movie, but I honestly think it's one of the best Ultraman features around, and I'm not really surprised that it out-performed every Ultraman movie that has come before it.

I've always enjoyed Kazuya Konaka's work on the Ultraman movies, but I think Yagi's direction is the kind of fresh air the film series needed. It's not necessarily "better", but it's certainly different. There are lots of great shots that really show off the craftsmanship of the miniatures, which also add a greater depth to the imager (e.g. shots looking at the monsters through a miniature pedestrian overpass).

I was saying to Daikamonohashi earlier that some parts of the movie didn't have the same impact as they did on the big screen, but that's the same as any movie on home video. Mebius' first appearance - jump down and landing that huge karate chop on Gesura's head - sent a massive BOOM through the whole theatre, and was easily one of the coolest Ultraman entrances I've seen. On the small screen the whole thing was rather unspectacular.

At the same time, some things worked better on the small screen. Giga Kimaira for one; it seemed less obviously CGI than it did before.

Maybe when I finally try out the Blu-ray, the experience will be closer to that of the theatre.
 
At last, I can talk about this friggin' movie!

Ditto!

The best movie I saw last year. And considering last year had 3 Rider movies, that's saying a lot. But this was really something special. I loved Tiga, Dyna & Gaia when they were all new, so it was thrill to see them back here. There were so many good moments and cameo bits. I walked out of the theater just blown away.

The only downside was the final villain is a bit blah, but anybody would look like a chump coming after Hipporito-Seijin (who is, indirectly, to be blamed for me discovering Tokusatsu in the first place. So you can guess how I felt about him being in this.) Oh and Yokohama ain't Kobe, but it's still nice. :laugh:
 
I really enjoyed this movie. In a few minor respects I liked the previous one better, but it's really nothing major to complain about. I had a moment of complete glee when Tiga, Dyna and Gaia are all first standing together. And of course the "Where's Waldo" actor-spotting was tons of fun, with all the familiar faces popping up in a ton of different places. And that's not even touching on the story.

The behind-the-scenes footage and extra premiere coverage and such was a lot of fun too (I bought the DVD Box of Awesomeness). I gotta say, watching the "how we film a rubber-suited monster wrecking miniature buildings" segment, being a monster in one of these films looks like a huge amount of fun. If of course one discounts how hideously uncomfortable those suits must be to wear...

But anyway. Fun movie! I sure wouldn't mind seeing another one of these come along in a few years... :anime:
 
Oh and Yokohama ain't Kobe, but it's still nice. :laugh:

I haven't been to either personally but the Yokohama set was so much better than the Kobe set from the last film. Honestly, the look of Ultraman Mebius & Ultraman Brothers just feels so bland next to The Super 8 Ultra Brothers' slick visual style.
 
I haven't been to either personally but the Yokohama set was so much better than the Kobe set from the last film. Honestly, the look of Ultraman Mebius & Ultraman Brothers just feels so bland next to The Super 8 Ultra Brothers' slick visual style.

It was much shot better, I'll give it that. And the movie felt like it was trying to make the most of the location. I just personally find Kobe to be a nicer looking city though. Kamen Rider probably did a better job of showing it back in 1972. :laugh: I did otherwise find this one to be an improvement over the last movie in almost every way.
 
I got the Memorial Box as well and the movie was incredible! I have not watched new Tokusatsu for almost a year thanks to my dislike for Den-O, Kiva, Geki and Go-On, and watching this made me feel like I was a kid again.

:buttrock:
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…