Ancient Korean Kingdoms in K-Dramas: Historical Series Watch List

cmoneyspinner

What does the Fox say?
Staff member
I might be in the minority, but I really enjoyed "The Legend"! The way it combines mythology and historical elements is fascinating, especially with the focus on Goguryeo and the other kingdoms. I loved the visual storytelling and how the characters navigated such a rich backdrop.

I'm curious about the upcoming dramas that are set to explore ancient Korean kingdoms too. Are there other series set in the ancient kingdoms era that I should add to my list? I'm open to giving it a shot, but I wonder if it'll capture that same epic vibe as "The Legend."
 
As someone who started with Hwarang because of the cast, I ended up becoming more interested in the actual history afterward. The show definitely focused more on friendships and romance, but it got me curious about Silla and the Hwarang warriors. After that, I watched Queen Seondeok and enjoyed it much more. Mishil is still one of the strongest villains I've seen in a historical drama. I think that's why historical series can be effective. Even if the details are not always perfect, they encourage people to learn more about the period on their own.
 
I like that this list separates Goguryeo and Goryeo because I've seen a lot of people mix them up. The names look similar, so it is an easy mistake to make. I remember being confused myself when I first started reading about Korean history. Once I learned that Korea's English name comes from Goryeo, it became much easier to remember. Historical dramas can sometimes throw around kingdom names without much explanation, so a simple breakdown like this is actually useful for viewers who are just getting started.
 
My favorite kingdom to read about has always been Baekje, so I'm glad it got some attention here. It sometimes feels overshadowed by Goguryeo and Silla even though it played a major role in Korean history. King Geunchogo is one of those rulers who deserves more recognition outside Korea. I wish there were more big-budget dramas focused on Baekje because most recommendations usually go straight to Jumong or Queen Seondeok. There is still a lot of material there that could make for great television.
 
Personally, I prefer the Silla dramas because I enjoy palace politics more than battlefield scenes. Queen Seondeok worked for me because the tension came from people trying to outsmart each other instead of constant fighting. Mishil is one of those characters I still remember years later because she was ambitious, intelligent, and difficult to predict. I know Hwarang became popular because of its cast, but Queen Seondeok felt much stronger as a historical drama.
 
I like historical dramas, but I admit I struggle with very long episode counts now. Younger me would happily watch eighty episodes without complaining. These days I look at the number and start calculating how many weeks it will take me to finish. Still, if the writing is good and the characters keep me invested, I can overlook the length. A strong story matters more than convenience.
 
I know some viewers avoid historical dramas because they assume they are slow or difficult to follow, but I honestly think they are more accessible than people expect. You do not need to memorize every king and date before pressing play. I certainly did not. I just picked a drama that looked interesting and learned things naturally as I watched. Even if someone only comes for the action, romance, or political conflicts, they might end up leaving with a better understanding of a period they never planned to explore.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top