Horrified: Dungeons & Dragons Board Game Announced

PopGeeks

Administrator
No, that headline doesn’t mean we’re horrified about a Dungeons & Dragons board game (how bad must it be?) We’re talking about the merging of two properties in one special crossover product: one is D&D, the other is called Horrified. Horrified is a series of board games published by Ravensburger, based around classic monsters. So far they’ve come out with Horrified: World of Monsters (2024), Horrified: Greek Monsters (2023), Horrified: American Monsters (2021) and Horrified: Universal Monsters (2019). From Greek Monsters and onward, the Horrified series was made cross-compatible, meaning players can mix monsters and worlds between editions. So, it follows, Horrified: Dungeons & Dragons will add D&D’s iconic monster stable to the library. This specific board game is a blending of the two worlds: players pick one of five Heroes: Wizard, Rogue, Fighter, Cleric or Bard. Each identity comes with a unique set of abilities that can aid their party as they move around the board to defeat the monsters dwelling in the dungeon below Waterdeep. And when you use your player’s special ability, the results are determined by rolling a d20 — something new to Horrified. “With the assets provided by Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast, we got to see and read through […]
Read original article here:
 
As someone who plays both D&D and Horrified with my family, I think this is a really smart idea. Dungeons & Dragons has so many monsters that would work well in the Horrified system. I’ve always liked how Horrified balances strategy and theme without becoming too complicated. Adding the d20 mechanic is a bold step, but I like it. It keeps the D&D spirit alive while still keeping Horrified accessible. I’m especially excited to see how they design creatures like the Beholder or Mind Flayer. I hope they don’t overcomplicate the rules, though. Horrified’s charm is its simplicity. Looking forward to playing this on release.
 
This feels weird. I like both games but mixing them? I’m not sure. Horrified works because it’s simple and spooky. D&D is deep and heavy with rules. I hope they don’t lose what makes Horrified good by trying too hard to make it feel like D&D. Rolling a d20 sounds cool, but is it really needed? I guess I’ll wait and see when reviews come out. Not sold yet.
 
I’ve played all the Horrified editions with my board game group, and they’ve done a great job making each version fresh. Greek Monsters was my favorite so far. Adding Dungeons & Dragons monsters is a natural next step. I love the idea of exploring Waterdeep and facing famous monsters. The mix-and-match feature is also great — I want to see a Beholder fighting next to Medusa. My only concern is balance. Some D&D monsters are much more powerful than the older Horrified ones. I hope they tested everything properly. But overall, I’m hyped.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top