Netflix Confirms Another Of Its Movies Will Have A Full Theatrical Run

PopGeeks

Administrator
Something clearly seems to be going on at Netflix, despite their denials. They are famous for their hatred of theaters, believing they are in direct competition with them, and will […]
Read original article here:
 
It's interesting that Netflix is branching out with a full theatrical run; I appreciate them supporting theatrical experiences, but I can't help but feel their catalog often neglects the kind of quality storytelling that draws people to theaters in the first place. They have a roster of talent, but sometimes it feels like they're chasing trends more than creating something meaningful.
 
Gurl, I honestly think Netflix is slowly realizing that theatrical releases still matter. I understand why they built their whole business around streaming, but some movies are clearly made for a big screen. A 45-day exclusive window is a serious change from the way Netflix usually handles movies. Narnia especially makes sense because that is the kind of movie people may want to see with a huge screen and good sound. I am also curious about Charlie Vs. The Chocolate Factory because a family movie can benefit from a proper theater release. Netflix does not have to admit they were wrong publicly. The release strategy itself says enough. If these movies perform well, I would not be surprised if we see more Netflix films getting real theatrical runs.
 
I have always found Netflix's relationship with theaters strange. They want the prestige of movies, major directors, big stars and awards, but they have often treated theaters like an unnecessary step. That worked for a while, but audiences still like going to the movies when there is something worth seeing. I think the 45-day window is the interesting part here. That is not a token release for awards. That is a real theatrical strategy. Narnia also feels like a movie that should be experienced with an audience. Greta Gerwig directing a Narnia film is already a big event. Putting it in theaters for several weeks gives people a reason to make plans around it instead of just waiting for Netflix to release it at home. I would like to see Netflix keep experimenting with this.
 
That Dan Lin quote is something else. Basically saying we only work with directors who don't want theaters, unless the movie is too big to ignore. Very convenient way to avoid admitting they were wrong for years.
 
Not surprised at all. Streaming services never actually hated theaters, they hated sharing the profits. Now that box office numbers are proving films can make real money in cinemas, of course they want a piece of that. I don't think this is Netflix changing their mind out of love for the theater experience, it is pure business calculation. If box office keeps being strong for the rest of the year, expect more of their bigger budget films to follow this same pattern. Smaller films probably won't get this treatment though, only the ones with big directors attached or huge fan demand behind them.
 
I remember when Netflix was treated like the company that was going to completely replace movie theaters. Now we are talking about Netflix giving movies longer theatrical windows. That is a pretty interesting change. I do not think theaters are going away anytime soon. People still enjoy the experience when the movie feels important enough. Narnia is an obvious example for me. I would rather watch something like that on a large screen than on my computer at home. I also like that the release is not just a few days before streaming. Two months between the theatrical release and Netflix gives the movie room to exist as a theatrical film first. Maybe this will encourage Netflix to rethink how it handles other big productions.
 
45 days for Charlie movie is actually a long window compared to what they usually give. Interesting to see if the trend continues into 2027 and beyond.
 
For me, the biggest question is what happens after these movies. If Charlie and Narnia both get strong theatrical results, Netflix will have actual evidence that this model works. Then the argument against theaters becomes harder to make. I do not expect Netflix to suddenly give every movie a traditional release. That would be a huge change for the company. But I can see them becoming more selective and giving their biggest movies proper windows. Honestly, I think that would make sense. Streaming is convenient, but not every movie is designed to be watched while somebody is checking their phone and making dinner. Some movies benefit from being treated like an event. Netflix seems to be testing that idea now.
 
I like this development mainly because I want more choices. I can watch Netflix at home whenever I want, but I cannot recreate a packed theater with a huge screen and loud sound. If Netflix has movies that can attract a large audience, why not let theaters show them properly? I do not care whether Netflix admits it changed its mind. The release dates are what matter. A 45-day theatrical window is much different from a limited awards-season release. Narnia getting an IMAX release also makes sense to me. That is the kind of movie where the presentation can be part of the experience. I hope this does not only happen with giant franchises, though. There are plenty of original movies that deserve more time in theaters too.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top