Valve's Steam Frame Is Now Open For Preorder, If You Have A Grand Or So

PopGeeks

Administrator
Valve picked an awkward time to expand into hardware. The owner of Steam, the PC gaming platform everybody uses, has tried making devices to play those games on in the […]
Read original article here:
 
I find it interesting that Valve continues to get into hardware, but I'm a bit skeptical about the price point. A grand feels like a lot for something that might not offer a significant leap in gameplay experience compared to traditional setups. Their previous hardware attempts, while innovative, didn't always land with consumers, so I'm curious how this one will fare.
 
1059 dollars for a headset is a lot of money right now. I understand the RAM prices are causing problems everywhere, but this feels like a device made for people who already have money to spend, not the average gamer who just wants to try VR. Half-Life Alyx being included is a nice touch though, that game alone is worth a lot to VR fans. I just hope Valve drops the price once the RAM situation calms down, because right now this is out of reach for a lot of us. I will wait and see what reviews say before I even think about buying one.
 
Scalpers are going to eat this up on day one, calling it now. Anything Valve releases sells out fast and then shows up on resale sites for double the price. I feel bad for people who actually want to use this for gaming and not flipping it for profit.
 
Half-Life Alyx alone almost makes the price worth it for me. That game changed how I think about VR completely. Still a tough purchase though.
 
No charger included is such a strange decision for a device this expensive. At least Steam Deck chargers work with it, that saves people from buying an extra accessory right away. But if you don't already own a Steam Deck, that is another 29 dollars on top of an already huge price tag. Small details like this add up and make the whole package feel less generous than it should for over a thousand dollars.
 
Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 with only 16GB RAM for this price does not sit right with me. I build my own PC and I know component prices are rough right now, but companies need to stop passing every cost directly onto customers without eating some of it themselves.
 
Honestly I am tired of every gaming company blaming RAM prices for their expensive products. Yes the market is bad right now, that part is true and documented everywhere. But Valve has been printing money from Steam for years, they could absorb some of this cost instead of passing all of it straight to us. This is not a small indie company struggling to survive, this is one of the richest companies in gaming. I want VR to succeed and grow, I really do, but pricing it like a luxury item is not the way to get new people interested in the hardware.

1TB model for 1299 actually seems like the better deal here if you can afford the jump. 256GB fills up so fast with modern game sizes.

I remember when the original Steam Deck felt expensive and now this makes that price look reasonable by comparison. Crazy how fast things change.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top