Publisher Tinybuild and developer Hungry Couch Games are about to introduce Black Skylands…a top-down, open-world shooter with sim management elements.
Black Skylands is described as “skypunk.” It takes place in a world where the Earth has broken up into floating islands and mankind has built airships to travel between them. It’s also a world that is frequently under attack from flying toothy squid monsters. Your task is to not just live and survive in this society but defend yourself against the invading squids.
You’ll mainly be shooting at targets, and when they’re leaving you alone, you’ll use the downtime to build the community on your home island. You can also fortify your airship to pack a bigger punch and survive bigger punches from the opposition.
- Fight in the skies and on land – Combine aerial and ground combat, having dozens of weapons in your arsenal. Encountered a group of enemies that is too tough for you to handle? Execute an aerial attack! And don’t forget to use your trusty grappling hook to throw enemies into the cloudy abyss;
- Customize your vessel and weaponry – Choose a skyship that fits your playstyle, be it a small maneuverable boat or a heavy machine with a high-capacity cargo hold. When on foot, harness the power of firearms by enhancing them with different mods and using special abilities to destroy your foes;
- Build, expand and protect your aerial base – Make your trusty Fathership an impregnable flying fortress and repel intruders’ attacks. Resources you gather can be used to build facilities aboard the Fathership. For example, a Workshop lets you acquire useful upgrades for airships & weapons, a Factory processes resources and a Laboratory allows you to create powerful artifacts. Also, make sure to construct buildings like Gardens and Ranches to grow & harvest crops. Keep your people well-fed!
- Capture territories – Craft alliances and clear out occupied lands to expand the power of your faction. New resources, researches, characters and other features become available as you expand your influence;
- Explore a sprawling open world – Venture into the skies and discover countless floating lands full of secrets & loot. Travel across forests, farms, snowy lands, urban jungle and the mysterious Black Skylands themselves. Discover ancient secrets and take risks to unleash powers behind them.
The version of Black Skylands that’s about to hit PC is the Early Access version…Hungry Couch says the final version will be twice as large. Once you buy it, though, you’ll receive all updates. Black Skylanders will launch on Steam, GOG and Epic July 9.