We’ve got a date for World War Z! Saber Interactive’s zombie-bashing action game, based on the 2013 feature film, will be in gamers’ hands and spinning in their consoles April 16. Why a World War Z game now, instead of five or six years ago? You’d have to ask Saber. Mainly, it’s an excuse to pack the screen with moaning undead.
If World War Z is remembered for anything, it’s how many zombies the CGI workstations managed to render onscreen. Saber is using their own rig, the Swarm Engine, to generate as many zombies as possible with today’s real-time rendering chips. You and your friends should never run out of things to shoot at.
World War Z is predominantly a multiplayer experience. You can play the main four-player co-op, utiilzing six distinct classes and tons of weapons and traps in locations set around the world, from New York to Moscow. Or you can try out Players Vs. Players Vs. Zombies, sending you against the undead and other players in any of these five modes:
- Scavenge Raid: Players race to secure resources across the map to win.
- Vaccine Hunt: Players must pick up and hold an objective to earn points for the team.
- Swarm Deathmatch: Two teams go head to head in a bitter fight to the end.
- Swarm Domination: Capture zones to earn points and win a team victory.
- King of the Hill: Capture a single hill, then control it to earn victory points.
With a new announcement comes a new trailer. Here’s what World War Z looks like. The game will be out for Playstation 4, XBox One and PC April 16.