Tencent is the corporation that publishes PUBG in China, but that hasn’t stopped them from developing their own take on the battle royale genre — Ring of Elysium. It launched last month on Steam Early Access, and Tencent has plans to expand its content over the next few months.
Stage 1, to be completed later this month, mainly concerns itself with “optimization” and “anti-cheat measures.” It may sound blase on the surface, but Tencent has clearly learned from watching PUBG how important it is to lock down cheating loopholes before proceeding with anything else.
Stage 2 will come afterward, at which point people will start to see noticeable upgrades and new content: personal icons, dance moves reminiscent of Fortnite’s famous emotes, interchangeable lobby elements (players will be able to choose the background and music), new clothing sets and in-game customization tools. Stage 2 will also introduce the Adventurer Pass sytem:
- A 10-week seasonal event system
- Players can earn Adventure Badges by progressing through character season tiers by accumulating in-game experience points.
- Adventurer badges can be used to increase player’s progress through season tiers, increasing the amount of season-specific rewards the player receives.
There is less information about Stage 3, but Tencent is promising more servers will be activated in Europe and the reintroduction of a tropical island map that appeared in a Thailand beta test.
In its present state, Ring of Elysium has these features:
- Dynamic Weather System – Weather and temperature will change based on the specific environments. Players will battle hypothermia as they try to escape.
- Survive the Avalanche – Certain special locations will be at risk of an avalanche. These catastrophic events can destroy the nearby buildings and any players in the affected area.
- Innovative Weapon System –
- Weapons – The player can equip up to 3 weapons (of different categories) at the same time.
- Auto-equip accessories – Accessories will be equipped to the available weapon. If the weapons are switched, the accessories will be automatically switched to the next available weapon. If there isn’t an available weapon, accessories will put back into the backpack.
- Double-scope – Every weapon that can equip scope can use up to two scopes at the same time as long as the scope fits the weapon. Players can quickly switch scopes using a shortcut.
- 4 Winners – The goal of each match isn’t to kill everyone else, it’s to escape. A helicopter extraction will appear with 4 available seats allowing up to 4 players to win each match, that’s if they don’t shoot you as you climb the ladder.
- Freedom of Movement – Travel by land, sea, or air. Hang glide, Snowboard, drive, or climb cliff faces using an ice ax.
- Intuitive Cover Mechanics – Players can hide, lean out, and shoot from cover.
- Choose Your Playstyle – Seamlessly switch between First Person Play (FPP) or Third Person Play (TPP).
- Intelligent Team Communication – Mark out targets or selected paths on the map in real-time without needing to head into map view with a press of a button that will be visible to all teammates.
You can check out Ring of Elysium today on Steam Early Access.