A classic from the roaring age of fighting games has returned. After an absence of over 25 years, Streets Of Rage has returned with the fourth installment in a series with origins on the Genesis. Now it comes to Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch, XBox One and PC.
Axel, Blaze and Adam are back in Streets of Rage 4, along with newcomers Cherry and Floyd. Series composers Yūzō Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima have once again provided the soundtrack (and you can also listen to their original tunes in the game). Critics have eaten Streets of Rage 4 up, with no one marking the game below a 7 and very few going below an 8.
And just look at this list of features:
● An All-New Story: Discover and counter new threats to the metropolis in events set 10 years after Streets of Rage 3.
● New and Returning Fighters: Series veterans Axel, Blaze, and Adam team up with newcomers Cherry and Floyd for a glorious beatdown-fueled return to form.
● Gorgeous Hand-Drawn Artwork: An intricate, neon-soaked envisioning of Wood Oak City brings its districts and brawlers to life through fluid animation and striking designs.
● Evolved Combat: New combo possibilities, risk-reward health recovery, and clever refinements give Streets of Rage fans ample opportunities to rack up killer combos.
● An Electrifying All-Star Soundtrack: Lead Composer Olivier Derivière upholds Streets of Rage’s signature sound while adding new sonic direction with substantial contributions from series composers Yūzō Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima and an East Meets West all-star lineup of contributors.
● Retro Pixel Characters: Embrace your nostalgia by fighting like hell to unlock a dozen pixel characters complete with their original movesets from Streets of Rage 1, 2, and 3.
● Pulse-Spiking Throwback Music: Knock out enemies to timeless songs selected from Streets of Rage 1 and Streets of Rage 2 soundtrack.
● Online & Offline Co-Op: Call friends in for backup and let loose via two-player online and four-player offline co-operative play.
● A Feud-Ending Battle Mode:
● A Relentless Boss Rush Mode: Prove your might against an onslaught from the deadliest opponents in Wood Oak City.
● A Fair Fight for Everyone: Choose from a range of five difficulty settings to suit your play style, whether you’re a newcomer learning your first combos or a hardcore fighter looking for a brutal challenge.
Digital versions of Streets of Rage 4 will be discounted by 10 percent for the first four days. If you want a physical copy, there’s still time to get one from Limited Run before the preorders close on May 10. Switch and PS4 versions are available.