There are shmups of all shapes and sizes, but Rival Megagun is the first we’ve seen of its kind: a two-player competitive shmup where the goal is to destroy the other player as much as the enemy.
You and a partner play on a splitscreen display, with each of you targeting separate waves of enemies. Eventually, you’ll collect power-ups that will allow you to sabotage the other guy with missiles and projectiles….but your ultimate goal is to power up to the extent that you transform into a giant robot mech, and become your rival’s final boss!
- Classic shmup action with a competitive twist
- Multiple playable heroes, each with their own special weapons and Mega Gunship boss form
- Intense 2-player “couch-competitive” local versus battles
- Online battles – challenge your friends or find opponents via matchmaking
- Unlockable gear and weapons for customizing your ship
- A single-player arcade mode
No matter which system you own, you’ll be able to play Rival Megagun: it’s coming out November 29 for Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch, XBox One and PC. Here’s a bit of the game in action….
Rival Megagun is a competitive split-screen vertical shmup (or shoot ’em up, shooting game, STG) where you transform into a gigantic boss ship – your “Mega Gunship” – to invade your opponent’s screen.