Today’s the day Final Fantasy 14 gets a console upgrade…or at least the beginning of one. The open beta for the Playstation 5 version of the game has launched, and you can play it even if you don’t technically own the game. By downloading the Free Trial version any PS5 owner can take the enhanced FF14 for a spin, while the open beta period lasts. (You WILL need a PS5, and we can’t help you there.)
Those who already own the game on PS4 will be able to upgrade to the PS5 version at no extra cost, as long as a PS4 license is registered to their account. This is also the day that Patch 5.5 has been released for all versions of Final Fantasy 14. Players will find the following new content upon applying the patch:
- New Main Scenario Quests – Prospects of peace may soon fall to ruin, as Fandaniel and the Telophoroi scheme to recreate the Final Days, and ominous towers rise in all corners of the realm. With the servants of chaos amassing at every turn, will the Scions uncover their plot before it is too late?
- New Alliance Raid: The Tower at Paradigm’s Breach – The white-garbed 2P’s discovery was the first domino to fall in a series of conflicts that have only escalated since the arrival of the black-shrouded 2B, the pattern they form growing ever more complex. The time of revelation may be at hand, but is this tale one of hope…or despair?
- “Sorrow of Werlyt” Questline Finale – With adamantine armor and a beating, blood red core, the Diamond Weapon is the culmination of countless sacrifices and untold suffering. When the ultimate triumph of the VIIth Legion’s monstrous Weapon project descends upon Werlyt, who will be saved, and who shall fall?
- New Trial: The Cloud Deck – The advent of the Empire’s final and most fatal Weapon sees Gaius and the Warrior of Light take to the skies aboard Cid’s latest creation. Players can face off against the fearsome Diamond Weapon in this latest trial, which will be available in both Normal and Extreme difficulties.
- New Dungeon: Paglth’an – Players can tackle this new story dungeon alongside fellow adventurers or a party of non-player characters via Trust System compatibility.
- “Save the Queen” Questline Update – This latest update includes a new field area, “Zadnor,” an increased resistance rank cap, final enhancement of resistance weapons and more.
- New Unreal Trial – The next powered-up primal, Leviathan, has returned from A Realm Reborn to terrorize level 80 heroes, providing them with a hefty challenge and chances at unique rewards.
- Crafter Updates – High-level crafters can look forward to new content in Patch 5.5 that will earn them special achievements and unique crafting tools.
- Ishgard Restoration Update – As a new age dawns in Ishgard, luminaries from across Eorzea have been invited to the Firmament to take part in a ceremony commemorating this momentous occasion. Players can obtain rewards by participating in gatherer- and crafter-focused events which will occur during these periodic celebrations.
- “Explorer Mode” Update – The Explorer Mode feature will be expanded to include level 70 dungeons. Explorer Mode allows players to explore dungeons free from danger to capture striking and fun screenshots while enabling the use of mounts and minions. Players will also now be able to use performance actions while in dungeons, such as playing musical instruments.
- New Game+ Updates – Relive even more past adventures in Patch 5.5 with the addition of Eden, the Sorrow of Werlyt, and other Tales from the Shadows. Main scenario quests from Patch 5.4 to Patch 5.55 and YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse are also coming to New Game+ in Patch 5.55.
- New Custom Deliveries – House Durendaire is considered the foremost of the noble houses of Ishgard, and Count Charlemend stands at its head. Thus, when such a dignitary is seen skulking about the Firmament, it could scarcely go unnoticed. What manner of surreptitious business could have brought the man to the newly rebuilt district?
- Performance Action Updates – A new instrument will be added with Patch 5.55.
- Job Adjustments for PvE and PvP Actions, New Mounts, Minions and more.
It’s all setting the stage for the fourth major expansion, Endwalker, which hits this fall on all versions of FF14 (including PS5). In the meantime, look forward to an upcoming Digital Fan Festival hosted by Square on May 14-15, where they’ll be revealing new information about Endwalker among other things.