Sega is about to unleash a massive update for Phantasy Star Online 2 next Wednesday, February 3. The story will be updated, for one thing. Sega describes the impending plot developments this way: “The battle lines have been drawn, and the Armada of Annihilation continues to gather its forces around the Mothership. The time to strike is now, before any more Luminmech can be created. Sacrifices may be required as it’s going to take an all-out, coordinated attack by ARKS to annihilate Shiva – and the fate of the universe depends on the outcome.” So what does that mean?
It means we get a new Scion Class: Luster. This high-speed class comes equipped with Gunblades and features three combat styles: Zandi, Fomel and Baran. You can only use this class if you’ve attained Level 73 on at least two other classes.
- Zandi Style – This is a high-speed style that is activated when a Wind or Lightning Element weapon is equipped. Most notable for its agility and proficiency with area of effect attacks.
- Fomel Style – This aggressive style of combat is activated when a weapon is equipped that has a Fire or Dark Element type. Highly effective in close combat.
- Baran Style – Activated when an Ice or Light Element weapon is equipped, the Baran Style is known for its defensive capability, due in part to its guarded abilities with long-range attacks.
There are four skills you can use in the Luster Class: Luster Voltage, Luster Counter, Luster Sidestep Guard, and Bonus Attack. Here’s what they all do:
- Luster Voltage – A Voltage Gauge will be added to the Sub-Palette and connecting with your attacks produce Volts. The accumulated Voltage will increase Potency and reduce damage taken. Additional Class Skills can be taken to increase Voltage accumulation rate. If there is too long of a pause between attacks, the Voltage Gauge will be reset.
- Luster Counter – If players successfully dodge with Sidestep or a Weapon Action, they’ll unleash a powerful Sidestep Strike.
- Luster Sidestep Guard – While locked on, Sidestep either forward or backward in time with the enemy’s attack to activate a Perfect Guard and unleash a counterattack in the direction inputted.
- Bonus Attack – Perform four Normal Attacks in a row (does not include Sidestep Strikes) to unleash a powerful attack in accordance with the current PP or Focus Gauge level.
There will also be new quests! Look for The Malevolent Void and The Call of the Void. Be warned that they’re listed as Ultra-Hard Difficulty…
Persona the Masked yet persists, and we’ve picked up his signal coming from an area of altered space. As his resentment of ARKS is not expected to have abated, be cautious as you approach the entity. It is expected that in his current form your assignment will be ULTRA HARD to complete.
Two new Extreme Quests as well: Extreme Training Risk Realm and Elite Training Risk Realm. Pick up an Extreme Pass from Officer Prin and try your best…
ARKS can upgrade their training in Extreme Training: Risk Realm and Elite Training: Risk Realm. Players have one hour to test their skills, vitals, and cooperative ability in simulated training. Should they complete these challenges, rewards await!
Phantasy Star Online 2 is playable for free on PC and XBox One.