Outbreak is back! The survival horror game has returned for one more trip in Outbreak: Endless Nightmares. Dead Drop Studios threw in a few new twists this time, the biggest being the introduction of roguelite elements. It’s the zombie apocalypse (again), and your main concern is to just survive.
From your central hub in an abandoned hospital, venture out into randomly generated environments to scavenge for supplies and ammo. You’ll need both as the zombies will be hunting for your brains, and the environment itself won’t be kind to you either. Avoid hazards, dodge monsters, and find journals to learn more about the story.
“Outbreak: Endless Nightmares is a new beginning for the Outbreak series,” says Evan Wolbach, founder of Dead Drop Studios. “I put everything on the line this time around – creating a much more narrative-driven game while also placing the spotlight on replayability. On the technical side, the envelope was pushed pretty hard on this one. Next-gen consoles offer gobs of RAM and real grunt on the CPU front – making 4K finally possible – but I didn’t leave current-gen behind. The Nintendo Switch, for example, is well-served with a solid port that I’m incredibly proud of!”
- Something old, something new: Experience the Outbreak series’ signature classic survival action with the perfect mix of roguelike gameplay.
- Ever-expanding world: Explore a massive, semi-procedurally generated world that expands as the game progresses! Talk to NPCs, visit shops, etc.
- Three camera angles: Choose a view that works for you – fixed camera, over the shoulder – or first-person.
- Tactical camera/photo mode: Take beautiful pictures with the tactical camera or use photo mode to scan for anything dangerous nearby!
- Death isn’t the end: Death returns you to the Hub with most of your inventory intact – along with experience and money.
- Semi-procedurally generated dungeons: Revisit anomaly dungeons multiple times to find different traps, enemies, puzzles, challenges – and loot!
- Co-op gameplay: Fight the nightmare with a friend in two-player split-screen co-op.
- Character options: Choose from 6 unique characters – each with their own backstory, stats, and ability loadouts.
- Crafting: Dismantle, repair, and upgrade weapons; build ammo through gunpowder; and combine healing items to create new formulas and more!
- Multiple game modes: Choose from 5 gameplay modes – Standard, Ironman, Randomizer, Lost Hope, and Easy Mode.
- Uncover the story: Search through notes and logs to read more from Lydia’s journal and piece together the past and future of the outbreak.
- Late game content: Face a randomly-generated dungeon of extreme danger near the end of the game and try multiple New Game Plus modes after completing the story.
Outbreak: Endless Nightmares is available now on Playstation 4 and 5, Nintendo Switch, XBox One, XBox Series X and PC. If you’ve never played an Outbreak before, all six titles are now bundled together in the Outbreak Complete Collection, which for now is only available on Playstation and XBox consoles.