The National Cartoonists Society has announced its list of nominations for the annual Reuben Awards, the trophies they give out for the best artists in the business (at least in their opinion). IDW sent us a note today bragging that five of their artists have received noms for their Reuben Division Award in the area of Comic Books. Not only that, these are the ONLY three nominees, which pretty much guarantees IDW a Reuben to nom on.
- Brahm Revel for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Jennika
- Stan Sakai for Usagi Yojimbo
- Walter Simonson for Ragnarök: The Breaking of Helheim
IDW also got two more Reuben noms in the category of Graphic Novel:
- Jared Cullum for Kodi
- Thibault Balahy for Redbone: The True Story of a Native American Rock Band
Again, there are only three nominees, so this puts their odds at two-thirds likely.
Another, lesser known comic book award ceremony is the Ringo Awards (named after Mike Wieringo, not the Beatles drummer). IDW landed TEN noms with them, five for various books they’ve printed in the last year:
- Best Series: Usagi Yojimbo
- Best Anthology: Be Gay, Do Comics
- Best Anthology: Hey, Amateur! Go From Novice to Nailing It in 9 Panels
- Best Humor Comic: Love and Capes: The Family Way
- Best Presentation in Design: Dave Cockrum’s X-Men Artifact Edition
And five for artists in their employ:
- Best Cartoonist (Writer/Artist): Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo)
- Best Letterer: Deron Bennett (Canto & The Clockwork Fairies, Canto II: The Hollow Men)
- Best Cover Artist: Peach Momoko (The Crow: Lethe, Read Only Memories, Usagi Yojimbo: Wanderer’s Road)
- Best Cover Artist: Kevin O’Neill (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen IV: The Tempest)
- Best Colorist: Laura Allred (Hey, Amateur! Go From Novice to Nailing It in 9 Panels)
The Reubens are a closed event, but the Ringo Awards are chosen by the people, so if you like any of these books or artists (or you feel others are more deserving), you can vote today at their website.