Monster Crown isn’t finished yet, but it’s getting there. The Pokemon-inspired monster trading and battling game just received its first content update, one of several planned as the game moves toward completion and graduation from Steam Early Access.
Three new features have now been added to the game: online monster trading, NET Eggs and the “Move Learner.” If you find a NET Egg, you can use it to breed with a random monster egg that contains monster genes from players all over the world. You’re rolling the dice with a NET Egg, and will have no idea what monster you wind up with, but that’s part of the appeal.
The “Move Learner” expands the memory capability of monsters. Ordinarily they can only remember six moves at a time, but with the “Move Learner” players will be able to select the moves their monsters remember at any given time. Online monster trading, the third new feature, is self-explanatory.
Monster Crown takes place on Crown Island, a community with a dark past. Long ago, the cruel Philosopher Kings ruled the island, using their dark powers to achieve dominance and torture their subjects. That lasted until the people had enough and rose as one to defeat them. Ever since, Crown Island has been at peace, but that could change if an evil young woman has her way…she’s seeking to bring back the Kings’ dark power, and your main goal is to stop her. You do this by collecting, training and battling the monster species found around the island.
• Make pacts with monsters to receive their protection in return for shelter
• Breed and fuse over 200 base monsters to create your own new species
• Travel across Crown Island with your monster allies to uncover a dark world.
• Make a pivotal decision that will drastically change the ending and post-game.
• Play online to battle and trade, and have your new species reach across the globe.
The Early Access version of Monster Crown is available now on Steam.