Can’t decide which video game genre to play tonight? Pick Midnight Wave and play several at once. This new indie game from Walthall Studios welds together several popular mechanics from different genres to create a unique experience. Now it’s on Kickstarter.
Gameplay is mainly an overhead tactical RPG affair, but when two enemy units move in close proximity, the game changes into a platforming brawler as the characters face off one-on-one! You’ll need to bring sharp reflexes as well as your brain.
Midnight Wave was born from what-ifs,” comments lead developer Andrew Walthall. “What if we mashed up gameplay from classics like Fire Emblem and Super Smash Bros.? What if we added in narrative choices from games like Mass Effect? We took those what-ifs and ran with them, and now we’re creating an RPG like no other! Midnight Wave is easily the most ambitious project any of us have worked on.”
- Innovative Combat: Plan your attacks on the tactical map, then battle them out in a platform fighter duel! No more RNG percentages – you control the action!
- Old School Aesthetic: We’ve got pixel art vibes that’ll make you drown in nostalgia!
- Narrative Choice: The story is yours – say what you want, do what you want, and make difficult choices that shape the world!
- A World Alive: Everything is fleshed out! Learn more about diverse characters while exploring different facets of Neo-Nihon. Make or break relationships through dialogue choices, and witness the characters react to your actions based on their own motivations.
- Customization: Customize all of your characters! Not just their equipment, but their appearance, class, and skills too! Unlike other games, in Midnight Wave tactical sprites, portraits, and platform fighter sprites all change appearance accordingly!
- Elemental Combat: Wreak havoc on the battlefield with the elements! Freeze your enemies, burn them alive, or blow them away! Manipulate the environment to your advantage!
Support Midnight Wave by heading to this page. You can guarantee a digital copy of the game for just $15. Higher tiers get you things like the soundtrack, beta access, exclusive items and even a chance to design a part of the game.