Eight years ago, Crate Entertainment introduced Grim Dawn: an overhead fantasy RPG set in a dark, brutal world where staying alive is a constant struggle. If you never got into it, there’s good news (at least if you own a Microsoft-branded means of playing video games): a revamped, re-polished Definitive Edition is out today. The game is, for now, exclusive to XBox and PC via the Microsoft Store.
Choose your class and skills, create your character and explore the world. There’s plenty of loot to track down, but a lot of deadly monsters in the way. Your long-term goal is to build up the surviving human communities that have been ravaged by the current conditions, and achieving your goals may mean making tough decisions (one community may have to die for another to thrive). The Definitive Edition contains everything from the original game and the Crucible DLC, along with the two expansions that were released: Ashes of Malmouth and Forgotten Gods. There’s a lot of content here:
- Dual Class – Combine any of nine distinct classes with over 25 skills and modifiers per class. Choose from: Soldier, Demolitionist, Occultist, Nightblade, Arcanist, Shaman, Inquisitor, Necromancer, and Oathkeeper.
- Collect hundreds of Items – Common, magical, rare, epic, and legendary classes of loot. Plus over 20,000 possible magical affix combinations and over 200 rare affixes. Alter your class skills with hundreds of equipment modifiers.
- Quests with Choice and Consequence – You will face tough decisions that leave significant impacts upon the world. Strangers on the road, desperate families, and even entire villages may live or perish based on your actions. Currently, over 180 quests with 200+ lore notes to be collected.
- Friendly and Enemy Factions – Earn favor with human factions to unlock additional quest lines, vendor discounts, and special faction-based items and augments. Some neutral factions can be turned into allies but aiding one will make the enemy of another. Hostile factions will remember your deeds and deepen their hatred of you, sending out large packs and elite heroes to hunt you down.
- Devotion – An additional layer of skill customization allows you to acquire bonuses and powerful secondary effects for your class skills. These are unlocked from a giant constellation map with points acquired by finding and restoring destroyed or corrupted shrines hidden throughout the world.
- Rebuild the World – Help human enclaves survive and flourish by securing vital necessities, rebuilding structures, and rescuing survivors who can then lend their services to your cause.
- Transform Your Appearance– An Illusionist Service NPC enables you to transform the appearance of your equipment and customize your ideal look! Draw upon every item in your collection across all characters!
- 4 Person Multiplayer – Connect with Friends or make new allies in glorious multiplayer. Multiplayer encounters will put your teamwork to the ultimate challenge.
- Fast-paced Visceral Combat – Enemy blood spatters, ragdoll physics, and satisfying enemy death effects. Smash in doors and fight house to house, leaving a path of demolished furniture in your wake.
- Rotatable Camera – If you choose to survey the full beauty of the world and always fight from the most optimal angle. Levels are still designed so that players are not forced to rotate the camera; it is purely optional.
- Rogue-Like Dungeons – Descend into special locked challenge dungeons that require a rare crafted key, where enemy levels increase as you progress and player teleport is disabled. There is no way out except to complete the dungeon or die trying.
- Enter the Shattered Realm– an alternate game mode will have you face off against Cairn’s foes in ever more challenging shards of an unstable reality. Earn unique rewards and mountains of loot!
Jump into Grim Dawn today on XBox One, XBox Series and PC.