Zyuden Sentai Kyouryuger, ep. 1 "Let's Go! The Red King!"

Mad Skillz
fiDbWwl.jpg

Let's Go! The Red King
Writer: Riku Sanjo
Director: Koichi Sakamoto

After millions of years, the Deboss Army has returned to attempt to rule the world of man, after having failed to do so to the world of dinosaurs. Standing in their way is Daigo Kiryu, who has been tasked to first find and battle the Zyudenryu Gabutyra so he can become one of the Kyoryugers.

--

I really enjoyed the first episode. It managed to be a nice inbetween the break neck speed and slow paced first episodes Sentai does from time to time. I really enjoyed everything about Daigo's solo fight scenes, it looks like everyone was doing a great job there. It's also looking like a lot of the stylistic things from Go-Busters are being carried over like the real time transformation and the dual scale battles going on.

And I love that none of the Rangers actually know each other's identities.

Last edited:
I liked him when he wasn't a god
The thing about them not knowing each other's identities disappointed me. I prefer teams to be close, not to act like strangers/work colleagues who don't really care about each other. I also thought this episode was very Red-heavy even by Sentai standards, and I shake my head a bit at the main villainess. Really, Toei, you can give us a female character that has nothing to do with "love" or the colour pink. You can. I swear.

Other than that, I thought this episode was great fun. It's a nice change in tone from Go-Busters (which I enjoyed, but I like shows to feel different each year) and I'm glad for the return of the eyecatch and individual poses in the OP.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
^ KyoryuPink's maid outfit has a full-length skirt. I think Sakamoto's saving the skimpy stuff for Nagasawa ...

Mad Skillz
The thing about them not knowing each other's identities disappointed me. I prefer teams to be close, not to act like strangers/work colleagues who don't really care about each other.

I think that's going to be Daigo's thing. He seemed very eager to get along with the others and revealed his true identity without any hesitation. He'll probably be the one that brings everyone together and makes them all become friends.

The thing about them not knowing each other's identities disappointed me. I prefer teams to be close, not to act like strangers/work colleagues who don't really care about each other.

I think that's a nice change of pace. It's similar to say, Shinkenger, but more extreme..and teams formed by complete strangers always develop a bond, anyway.

Mad Skillz
They're probably going to learn who each other is over the next few weeks. It looks like Nobuharu and Amy reveal themselves to Daigo next week. My guess is that Ian and Souji will each get a focus episode to themselves where their identities are revealed.

The Ends JustiΦ's the Means
I thought the reveal that they didn't know each other's identity was a really good twist on the usual plot. I didn't expect a show like this to do that. I figured everyone would know each other and everyone would be happy. But it sort of feels like Young Justice where they know each other in costume but not out, at least initially. I think its a refreshing plot device.

Lurker
I think that's a nice change of pace. It's similar to say, Shinkenger, but more extreme..and teams formed by complete strangers always develop a bond, anyway.

I agree. It's good for a main character to find out who the others are & to form a team for once.